How Do I Add Nutrients To My Plants?

• Thread starter Moedollas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Moedollas

First time grower and I don't understand if I have to dump the nutrients straight into my soil or mix them ? Get there ph? Etc please explain

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
First time grower and I don't understand if I have to dump the nutrients straight into my soil or mix them ? Get there ph? Etc please explain
Wow, you really are a noobie. Never just dump fertilizers directly in your soil!!!!!

Mix according to package instructoins and I say to err on the safety side and go half of what the package tells you so you dont burn your plants. When all looks good at half strength bump it up with each water phase until you can get to what the package say.

And you do check your Ph of the nutes if in soil run it between 6.3 /6.5 Get a decent Ph meter to do this.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

still trying to fig that one out lol
Haha.youl get there.
One tip I would giv to new growers.if your in soil make sure to let the soil dry out a good bit between waterings and no mater what people say about organic nutes or ph perfect or whatever-if your useing nutes from a bottle or even powdered nutes always check and adjust your ph with a proper ph pen.the litmus paper isn't accurate enough

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
and no mater what people say about organic nutes or ph perfect or whatever-if your useing nutes from a bottle or even powdered nutes always check and adjust your ph with a proper ph pen.

I never ph adjust. Just another unnecessary step.

The soil Micro herd and the plant buffer that.

What should be said is:

No matter what people say.
Do lots of research and find your own way to grow based on the understanding you gain.

Because everyone's environment is different.

1.)
One guy using synthetics says ph everytime

While the other guy says he never ph adjusts while growing organically and it works great everytime.

2.)
One guy says he needs bamboo stakes to hold his plants up cause they are weak.

The other says he needs pipe cleaners to hold his plants down cause they are too strong.

3.)
One guy says I need a net to scrog.

The other guy says why do you use a net? My plant has 57+ topped canopy with no net.

Just remember there is a specific application for each variable. In each different application specific variables are either added or removed. What is good for one can be bad for another.
And what can be bad for one can be good for another.

There is no 1 specific correct way to grow. Or else everyone would be doing it the same best way.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I never ph adjust. Just another unnecessary step.

The soil Micro herd and the plant buffer that.

What should be said is:

Do lots of research and find your own way to grow based on the understanding you gain.

1.)
One guy using synthetics says ph everytime

While the other guy says he never ph adjusts while growing organically and it works great everytime.

2.)
One guy says he needs bamboo stakes to hold his plants up cause they are weak.

The other says he needs pipe cleaners to hold his plants down cause they are too strong.

3.)
One guy says I need a net to scrog.

The other guy says why do you use a net? My plant has 57+ topped canopy with no net.

Just remember there is a specific application for each variable. In each different application specific variables are either added or removed. What is good for one can be bad for another.

There is no 1 specific correct way to grow. Or else everyone would be doing it the same best way.
We,r talking to new growers who struggle with getting it right.talking about micro herds in soil will likely confuse em and I stand by what I said 100%-if u use bottled nutes-even so called organic ones you should really being phing wats given to your plants but as u say there's no one way to do it and everyone has theyr own way but that's what works for me.
And my point about ph is wen u go to ph nutes and the ph is right that's fine no harm done but the same can't be said for doing it in reverse-not checking it and it turns out it does need it and if u don't get a ph pen and u get problems how do u know ph isn't the problem if u don't check it?tou can't so youl be left wondering what the problem is.in my experience it's just better to ph wen useing bottled nutes for a number of reasons.sure you can get away with not phing your shit but unless your a dab hand at blending your own soil your plants are unlikely to perform to theyr full potential & these guys are noobies so it's unlikely than can blend soil or understand the "feed the soil not the plant" type of growing

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@rmoltis @Mr Bee has a good point. Even tho you dont check Ph you are actually dealing with living soil and your microbes handle your Ph as part of the biological process you have going. And a Newbie might not understand the Soil Food Web right off the bat and if they are using commercial soil with no active micro-herd they should always check the Ph of their inputs until such time they are at your level of understanding. Don't you agree.?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
We,r talking to new growers who struggle with getting it right.talking about micro herds in soil will likely confuse em and I stand by what I said 100%-if u use bottled nutes-even so called organic ones you should really being phing wats given to your plants but as u say there's no one way to do it and everyone has theyr own way but that's what works for me.

I'm not against you using what works for you. In fact I agree and advocate that each person's growing style is developed relative to their specific application.

And in regards to him being new that's what this was for.

What should be said is:

It was semantically worded to inspire him to do some research of his own. Then to apply his newfound knowledge to his specific application.

There are so many different variables to a grow that over time you come to learn. There is no shortcut to taking the time to educate yourself.

I learned over time that ph adjusting was killing my beneficial life. And gave me problems. So if someone gave me that advice it would have made things worse.

My answer was semantically worded to apply to either side of the argument.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm not against you using what works for you. In fact I agree and advocate that each person's growing style is developed relative to their specific application.

And in regards to him being new that's what this was for.

It was semantically worded to inspire him to do some research of his own. Then to apply his newfound knowledge to his specific application.

There are so many different variables to a grow that over time you come to learn. There is no shortcut to taking the time to educate yourself.

I learned over time that ph adjusting was killing my beneficial life. And gave me problems. So if someone gave me that advice it would have made things worse.

My answer was semantically worded to apply to either side of the argument.
How did you arrive at the thought that adjusting your Ph was hurting your microherd?

I think I'll roll a fatty take a puff and then prepare for more semantics. LOL :p In your rebuttal, please provide a link to the source you gained this knowledge, I would like to see the study you got that from. Or are you speaking from just personal experience??

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
How did you arrive at the thought that adjusting your Ph was hurting your microherd?

I think I'll roll a fatty take a puff and then prepare for more semantics. LOL :p In your rebuttal, please provide a link to the source you gained this knowledge, I would like to see the study you got that from. Or are you speaking from just personal experience??

Personal experience is what was said in my post? No point in redundancies.

I shall repeat, heck I'll just quote it since people just skim the posts.

Why do I need a source or link to state personal experience? Opinions and experience don't count as studies or science unless you are working for a business. Correlation is not causation unless yours scientist on the payroll.
But you should know that

I arrived at my conclusion via eliminating/changing variables over time. As well as testing my personal samples to come up with data.

Once I eliminated or altered specific variables I found the combo that worked for me.. This thread isn't about questioning my experience.

It's about wording of posts.

People can't just say one way is ideal when other people do it the opposing way and everything is great.

My initial point was to choose your words carefully cause you may mislead new growers to believe in a truth that is only partially true.

How does me trying to inspire the op to do research with this post. Turn into me being hassled?

What should be said is:

In the sake of education, experience. I'll just say this.

It's not up to me to prove to others my foundation of beliefs based what I've learned/experimented with. Rather it's more beneficial to suggest to the world they create their own experiments. And test their own ideas, and come to their own conclusions to form a belief system.

And as much as everyone's wants more specific answers. Those answers lie at home where you run your experiments. I can't give an answer relative to me and expect it to apply to %100 of situations. All I can do is state what works for me and explain the system. The burden of understanding lies on the person reading/wanting to understand.

I read a ton of studies and can't keep track of all of them. I've learned over time that the plants, the soil, and the biological life in the soil all affect the soil parameters.

"Several studies have investigated the main biotic and abiotic factors determining the structure and functioning of soil microbial communities. In addition to impacts of soil type, soil age, soil mineralogy and soil pH, several studies have highlighted the strong link between plants and soil microorganisms. Indeed, through litter degradation and the production of nutrients and protons in their rhizodeposits, plants modify the physical, chemical and biological properties of their soil environment. For example, evergreen tree species such as Norway spruce (Picea abies) and Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) are known for acidifying soils. Furthermore, nutrients and signaling molecules present in root exudates promote the selection of particular taxa and functions within the vicinity of the root system. One hypothesis to explain this selection, known as the rhizosphere effect, is that plants recruit indigenous microbial communities from the soil that are beneficial for improving plant health and nutrition and for preventing the establishment of pathogens.

Such a selective effect in the rhizosphere environment has been reported for several cultivated, desert and perennial plants. Over the last decade, the development of high-density 16S rRNA microarray as well as monogenic and shotgun metagenomics has resulted in great advancements in our understanding of the structure and diversity of soil microbiomes. Conversely, our knowledge of the functional capacities of rhizosphere microbial communities remains largely based on cultivation-dependent studies. Nonetheless, functional screenings of culturable bacterial and fungal communities have revealed rhizosphere enrichment of microorganisms capable of improving plant nutrition by providing nitrogen and nutritive cations. Cultivation-independent studies have also shown an increase in the relative abundance of specific functional genes related to nitrogen cycling, carbon fixation, phosphorus utilization, metal homeostasis and resistance in the rhizosphere. Altogether, these results suggest that plants enrich nutritional helper microbial communities within the vicinity of their roots. Similar conclusions have been drawn about animal and human microbiomes, which strongly participate in key functions related to host defense, metabolism, and health. Such functional complementation by the rhizosphere microbiome is particularly important for plants growing in nutrient-poor soils in which nutrients are scarce and not well accessible to roots, as is typically the case of forests developed on acidic and nutrient-poor soils. Under such conditions, trees have been shown to select symbiotic fungi and bacteria that are capable of mobilizing nutrients from minerals and organic matter, thereby supplying the trees with organic and inorganic nutrients. However, this selective effect appears to be dependent on the host and remains poorly documented, particularly with regard to archaeal and bacterial communities.

The impact of plant host on the soil microbial communities has been widely investigated, with results showing that different plant species and genotypes (including genetically modified plants) can select specific microbial communities from the soil reservoir within their root vicinity. Notably, this selection has been shown to change during plant development and root growth, indicating that such selection is altered according to the nutritional requirements or physiology of the plant. This selective effect also appears to be dependent on the co-evolution history shared by plants and soil microbial communities.

Conclusion

The experimental site of Breuil-Chenue, which is characterized by mono-specific stands planted in one location with different tree species (including Fagus sylvatica, Picea abies) of the same age, was ideal for testing the tree host effect on soil microbial communities. We combined soil analyses, quantitative PCR and pyrosequencing to show that different tree species growing in the same soil qualitatively and quantitatively impact their soil microbiota. Our data confirmed previous data obtained by a cultivation-dependent approach, highlighting the importance of characterizing soil microbial communities by both cultivation-dependent and -independent approaches. For the first time, we characterized the forest soil archaeal biome and showed it to be an important compartment of the soil microbiome, despite the lack of attention to date. The fact that the archaeal biome is dominated by Thaumarchaea and that these archaea are involved in the recycling of nitrogen highlighted the need to consider soil archaea in future studies. This work provides new data to support the hypothesis that tree species differentially impact soil microbial communities, with archaea and fungi being more strongly determined by tree species and bacteria showing a stronger rhizosphere effect. These results fit very well with the conclusions obtained by Urbanova et al.36, who suggested that fungal communities are more affected by tree species than are communities of bacteria. Future studies are required to determine how active communities are differently impacted and how they evolve from one season to the next.

Through much reading about how plants may help control their soil parameters to help enhance nutrient uptake and make certain nutrients more available.

Every plant is different, just like humans, one human might eat a lot, one might eat a little. One might like 7ph one may like 5-6. If I go trying to set the ph to where the standard is. I may be outside the plants range.

The ph the plant needs would help develop the correct microbes or fungi the plant needs to help unlock the soil.
The plant helps control this. So if I alter the ph manually and it is outside my specific plants range. The soil would develop the other biological life which would possibly be less effective than the soil life at the plants relative ideal ph.

"The influence of pH on the relative importance of the two principal decomposer groups in soil, fungi and bacteria, was investigated along a continuous soil pH gradient at Hoosfield acid strip at Rothamsted Research in the United Kingdom. This experimental location provides a uniform pH gradient, ranging from pH 8.3 to 4.0, within 180 m in a silty loam soil on which barley has been continuously grown for more than 100 years. We estimated the importance of fungi and bacteria directly by measuring acetate incorporation into ergosterol to measure fungal growth and leucine and thymidine incorporation to measure bacterial growth. The growth-based measurements revealed a fivefold decrease in bacterial growth and a fivefold increase in fungal growth with lower pH. This resulted in an approximately 30-fold increase in fungal importance, as indicated by the fungal growth/bacterial growth ratio, from pH 8.3 to pH 4.5. In contrast, corresponding effects on biomass markers for fungi (ergosterol and phospholipid fatty acid [PLFA] 18:2ω6,9) and bacteria (bacterial PLFAs) showed only a two- to threefold difference in fungal importance in the same pH interval. The shift in fungal and bacterial importance along the pH gradient decreased the total carbon mineralization, measured as basal respiration, by only about one-third, possibly suggesting functional redundancy. Below pH 4.5 there was universal inhibition of all microbial variables, probably derived from increased inhibitory effects due to release of free aluminum or decreasing plant productivity. To investigate decomposer group importance, growth measurements provided significantly increased sensitivity compared with biomass-based measurements.

The soil microbial community is responsible for most nutrient transformations in soil, regenerating minerals that limit plant productivity. Fungi and bacteria are the two groups that dominate the microbial decomposer community, and, crudely defined, they share the function of decomposing organic matter in soil, indicating that there is a strong potential for interaction. There are potentially important differences between their properties, however, such as biomass elemental composition, nutrient demand , turnover rate, metal tolerance, temperature dependence, and food web linkage. Consequently, anthropogenic impacts, such as changes in nutrient input, climate change, and soil management, have the potential to directly or indirectly affect the bacterial and fungal composition, with consequent impacts on soil function."

Once I stopped relying on adding chems to change the ph, And started relying on the plant and soil life to buffer. Everything has straightened out.

I look to nature for inspiration. The rain is not ph perfect, neither is the ground. But with help from the plants, soil, and soil life it all comes together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom