Is this normal for a seedling? 3 weeks old

• Thread starter Girlonbikes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Noob question here. This is a bag seed grow, my first ever grow, and I have a question about the development of leaves after the cotlydon leaves. My plant has three nodes so far. The first on the underneath only has one point on each leaf, the second set has 3 points and the top set of leaves shown in the picture have the 5 point leaves. Will the other leaves below these mature and have five points also?

Is this normal for a seedling 3 weeks old
Dan789

Dan789

Short answer is no, leaves however they are is what they’ll be till they die and fall off. Anything that happens to a plants leaves, during it’s life is sort of a short history. Welcome to the farm btw...

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Noob question here. This is a bag seed grow, my first ever grow, and I have a question about the development of leaves after the cotlydon leaves. My plant has three nodes so far. The first on the underneath only has one point on each leaf, the second set has 3 points and the top set of leaves shown in the picture have the 5 point leaves. Will the other leaves below these mature and have five points also?
what kind of soil?
the two small round cotyledons leaves will start to die off, that’s a sign that the plant has used up the nutrients it came with in the seed, so if your in a soiled medium it’ll be time to feed it very small doses of food with watering.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
what kind of soil?
the two small round cotyledons leaves will start to die off, that’s a sign that the plant has used up the nutrients it came with in the seed, so if your in a soiled medium it’ll be time to feed it very small doses of food with watering.
i meant soilless medium

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

I haven’t figured out what nutrients I should buy yet. I have some composted yardwaste that has been cooking in the sun behind my garage for the last 10+ years. If I make compost juice with that would it work? I am trying to avoid buying nutrients until I know it is a female 😂

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Pumpkin patches and other plants grow out of the compost bin so I’d assume it’s pretty rich with nutrients if random seeds can thrive that well in there.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Pumpkin patches and other plants grow out of the compost bin so I’d assume it’s pretty rich with nutrients if random seeds can thrive that well in there.
i would never bring anything outside to an inside grow like that,pest, fungus etc..
inside to outside yes..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your leaves won't grow more lobes than they were "born" with, but in general, as a plant matures, it will get more and more lobes on the leaves. The avg is usually 5 big lobes and a few smaller lobes per leaf, but it will change depending on where and how big the leaf is. Why wouldn't you bother to feed something until it is a confirmed female? If it IS a female, then it might not grow as much during veg growth. Nutes are dirt cheap unless you buy the ones with pretty labels and promises of buds the size of basketballs. Keep your plants happy and healthy and you will benefit greatly in the long run.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Your leaves won't grow more lobes than they were "born" with, but in general, as a plant matures, it will get more and more lobes on the leaves. The avg is usually 5 big lobes and a few smaller lobes per leaf, but it will change depending on where and how big the leaf is. Why wouldn't you bother to feed something until it is a confirmed female? If it IS a female, then it might not grow as much during veg growth. Nutes are dirt cheap unless you buy the ones with pretty labels and promises of buds the size of basketballs. Keep your plants happy and healthy and you will benefit greatly in the long run.
Thank you for your insight. Do you have any suggestions on nutrients that don’t have those big labels? I did some research and got a little overwhelmed and am not sure what to buy so I figured I would test the compost on this plant. I have about 15 more seeds that I haven’t planted so I’m not that worried about this one. Im willing to try nutrients though.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thank you for your insight. Do you have any suggestions on nutrients that don’t have those big labels? I did some research and got a little overwhelmed and am not sure what to buy so I figured I would test the compost on this plant. I have about 15 more seeds that I haven’t planted so I’m not that worried about this one. Im willing to try nutrients though.
This is a hotly debated subject, but I have used Jack's or Peter's 20-20-20 water soluble general fertilizer for decades without any issues. It is pretty strong and you need to be careful with it on young plants, but I feed a lot less and less often than many growers... it's just the way I learned and it works great for me... not necessarily for everyone. I use a standard flowering fertilizer, usually Jack's, during flowering. In total, for a 20 week grow (I grow them pretty big indoors), I might feed 3 or 4 times total, although I have some time released nutes and amendments in my original soil makeup. Every grower is different and it will take some experimenting to see what works best for you. I prefer Promix HP or BX as it drains very well and doesn't come with nutes in it... this leaves me in total control over what the plant is getting, nute wise.
A lot of growers will recommend a half dozen different products, but I can't make any real comparisons as this is the only way I have grown. I prefer using the least aount of nutes as possible and still have a good outcome.

Top Bottom