Need help with BHO extraction

Eledin

Eledin

Hello fellow growers! I need help to decide which brand to choose from these two: clipper and colibri. According to what I found, clipper has less impurities but gives way less yield while colibri gives you way more yield (hence why twice the price) but with more impurities (still like 0,05% that you can probably get out or most of it). But then there's people that say colibri is all marketing and that the difference in yield is not that big and they'd rather spend half the money buying clipper. Ill end up testing both nonetheless and I will let you know my results but if someone experienced in BHO extractions can help me decide its even better, I have only 1 can of colibri and 3 cans of clipper. And no, I cant use dimethyl ether because my extraction pipe is made of pvc. Thanks in advance!
Clipper
Need help with butane bho extraction

Colibri
Need help with butane bho extraction 2

My extraction tube (Gasolinator)
1719759850619.png

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Also do I really need to empty an entire can if my extraction tube is 12 inches long and has a diameter of 6 inches? I will freeze both the weed packed tight inside the tube and the can (I wasnt sure about freezing the can but its not actually gonna freeze and its recommended in various sites Ive seen).

Eledin

Eledin

Thanks for your concern! Im aware of the risks, I will be in a big ventilated room (with exhaust fan) and will only do 1 charge at a time so the room can ventilate properly before the next badge. And of course no smoking or nothing similar, also I have ceramic instead of gas in my stove so Im also safe with that, for when I clean it in a water bath.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Dude I worked with blew the entire wall off his apartment building.
Ive heard of cases like that but thats what happens if you dont follow the rules. If youre not gonna do it outside you need a big and ventilated room, if its not properly ventilated with an exhaust fan or something and you start doing can after can its bound to happen.

BearWater

BearWater

If you were a hotdog would you eat yourself?
Supporter
Also do I really need to empty an entire can if my extraction tube is 12 inches long and has a diameter of 6 inches? I will freeze both the weed packed tight inside the tube and the can (I wasnt sure about freezing the can but its not actually gonna freeze and its recommended in various sites Ive seen).
My experience was with a 12’’x 2” and I blew the entire tube (maybe).it was a long time ago and the end product was fire that we tested asap😂 is your tube steel or allow of some sort? I used glass thing that was thick🤷🏼‍♂️

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
yep i know of 2 different occasions one blow out the outside wall of an apartment,. and one blowing up inside a house and ended up burning the house down,..
why BHO? probably the worst extraction method for taste and quality and cleanliness

P

Phyto

Thanks for your concern! Im aware of the risks, I will be in a big ventilated room (with exhaust fan) and will only do 1 charge at a time so the room can ventilate properly before the next badge. And of course no smoking or nothing similar, also I have ceramic instead of gas in my stove so Im also safe with that, for when I clean it in a water bath.

Unless the exhaust fan is rated for explosive gasses (electrical windings are sealed), it can cause the gas to explode.

Eledin

Eledin

yep i know of 2 different occasions one blow out the outside wall of an apartment,. and one blowing up inside a house and ended up burning the house down,..
why BHO? probably the worst extraction method for taste and quality and cleanliness
Price, a rossin press is very expensive, I dont enough trimmings to justify that price nor do I have the money even if I wanted to hahaha. I tried extracting with ISO and I dont think it can be worse than that... shit was unsmokable for me. Mind that the bottle claimed it was 100% iso, which is more like 99,99 or something like that but the taste was very present. I think that maybe if I do it right and I do a water bath I can eliminate way more impurities than with ISO.

My experience was with a 12’’x 2” and I blew the entire tube (maybe).it was a long time ago and the end product was fire that we tested asap😂 is your tube steel or allow of some sort? I used glass thing that was thick🤷🏼‍♂️

A 30 euros PVC tube hahaha, I posted the image in the opening post its meant to be used for BHO exctractions its not just something I made out of PVC. Metal ones go for around 60 euros but they have silicon, if Im looking for something to use DME which is way more efficient and probably (not sure about that) better tasting I need an extractor tube that goes for 100+ euros because DME corrodes plastic and also rubber and silicon and only the expensive models are entirely made out of metal. So yeah Im using butane because Im using a PVC extractor basically.

Eledin

Eledin

This is what Im using at the moment to make my trimms and small buds smokable. Its just a shaker to extract kief. Its great but its also a lot of work to process all the trimmings at once so I use it casually.

Eledin

Eledin

Unless the exhaust fan is rated for explosive gasses (electrical windings are sealed), it can cause the gas to explode.
Hm... youre right about that, the exhaust fan might do more harm than good. I dont think my fan is rated for explosive gases hahaha that sounds more like something expensive a factory would get. So maybe Ill just go outside and fuck it then, what do you think? Its way harder for me because I dont really have a balcony much less a yard but I can go to the nearby forest area with all I need. Better safe than sorry, you might have saved me from blowing up my house hahaha.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I posted the image in the opening post
🤦‍♂️ : ) you know when youre reading but nothing is sinking in?😂

I really know nothing about it other than Im pretty sure we used a whole can on an entire tube packed tightly full. I can’t advice on any of the other stuff : ) me personally would only use glass or some sort of food grade SS tube (most of that being because its all I know)

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hm... youre right about that, the exhaust fan might do more harm than good. I dont think my fan is rated for explosive gases hahaha that sounds more like something expensive a factory would get. So maybe I’ll just go outside and fuck it then, what do you think? It’s way harder for me because I dont really have a balcony much less a yard but I can go to the nearby forest area with all I need. Better safe than sorry, you might have saved me from blowing up my house hahaha.
Take a fire extinguisher out there with you lol! (Seriously though) 😂✌️

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Price, a rossin press is very expensive, I dont enough trimmings to justify that price nor do I have the money even if I wanted to hahaha. I tried extracting with ISO and I dont think it can be worse than that... shit was unsmokable for me. Mind that the bottle claimed it was 100% iso, which is more like 99,99 or something like that but the taste was very present. I think that maybe if I do it right and I do a water bath I can eliminate way more impurities than with ISO.

A 30 euros PVC tube hahaha, I posted the image in the opening post its meant to be used for BHO exctractions its not just something I made out of PVC. Metal ones go for around 60 euros but they have silicon, if Im looking for something to use DME which is way more efficient and probably (not sure about that) better tasting I need an extractor tube that goes for 100+ euros because DME corrodes plastic and also rubber and silicon and only the expensive models are entirely made out of metal. So yeah Im using butane because Im using a PVC extractor basically.
i only use iso, so obviously something wrong with your method,..

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

When I blast I would freeze everything first. And I used the whippet branded butane from the corner store that was next door to where I lived. Yields can vary a lot brand to brand, and sometimes can to can in a single brand. Even on highly refined 9x+ cans. I just get what's affordable and refined at least 9x.

I blast outside, with at least one barefoot on concrete, and I left the dish outside until it was done bubbling. Even in the dead of an icy Kansas city winter, I grounded my body outside directly to earth. No chances taken.

I had an acquaintance in KC that worked at the same facility nearly die, and set his house on fire because he blasted inside, during dry winter months, with plenty of ventilation, because his shirt made a static spark. At the very minimum invest in a grounded anti static band used for handling sensitive electronic components. Turn off and unplug all non brushless electric motors in the environment, and anything else that could possibly generate a spark. Even toaster arc on the inside when turned on and off. Important info to know if you don't live alone.

As a result of this. Even on a humid summer day where your clothes not only won't, but can't generate static arcs, I still blast outside with at least one barefoot foot on earth or concrete that is in the earth. I have a fine mesh dome I made that I set over the dish as it bubbles away. I move the dish to vacuum once it's done naturally bubbling at stable atmospheric pressure too.

Idk if confirmed but I've heard horror stories of the electric motors in vacuum pumps generating sparks for the impatient as well lol.

Above all else. I blast alone outside. I never allow anyone else to be present when I do. Ever. You cannot be too careful when messing with compressed petroleum gasses. Even when I do it, I'm starkly aware the entire time that I am creating a controlled BLEVE scenario riding on the red line of a genuine explosion as well. Overconfidence can create complacency, which can kill you in this context.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

i only use iso, so obviously something wrong with your method,..
Are we talking about isopropyl alcohol? Do you have a vacuum chamber? That might be why. Thats the "purest" iso I could find, there are a few more claiming 100% iso with close to 0 impurities but the first time was so bad that I didnt even bother looking further. With no vacuum all I could do is let it dry and no matter if I let it dry for a few days, I even saved it for weeks and tasted and it was still awful xD what could have been?
EDIT: I applied light heat aswell after the first evaporation process seemed to stop. I was left with something resembling very oily hash with a chemical taste. Maybe the brand?

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

When I blast I would freeze everything first. And I used the whippet branded butane from the corner store that was next door to where I lived. Yields can vary a lot brand to brand, and sometimes can to can in a single brand. Even on highly refined 9x+ cans. I just get what's affordable and refined at least 9x.

I blast outside, with at least one barefoot on concrete, and I left the dish outside until it was done bubbling. Even in the dead of an icy Kansas city winter, I grounded my body outside directly to earth. No chances taken.

I had an acquaintance in KC that worked at the same facility nearly die, and set his house on fire because he blasted inside, during dry winter months, with plenty of ventilation, because his shirt made a static spark. At the very minimum invest in a grounded anti static band used for handling sensitive electronic components. Turn off and unplug all non brushless electric motors in the environment, and anything else that could possibly generate a spark. Even toaster arc on the inside when turned on and off. Important info to know if you don't live alone.

As a result of this. Even on a humid summer day where your clothes not only won't, but can't generate static arcs, I still blast outside with at least one barefoot foot on earth or concrete that is in the earth. I have a fine mesh dome I made that I set over the dish as it bubbles away. I move the dish to vacuum once it's done naturally bubbling at stable atmospheric pressure too.

Idk if confirmed but I've heard horror stories of the electric motors in vacuum pumps generating sparks for the impatient as well lol.

Above all else. I blast alone outside. I never allow anyone else to be present when I do. Ever. You cannot be too careful when messing with compressed petroleum gasses. Even when I do it, I'm starkly aware the entire time that I am creating a controlled BLEVE scenario riding on the red line of a genuine explosion as well. Overconfidence can create complacency, which can kill you in this context.
I understand, thank you! I will only do it outside in a wooded area. I also heard about static electricity from your clothes being able to start the explosion, I mean its scary not gonna lie but Im pretty sure that if I dont wear wool that wont be a risk either.

Top Bottom