Question for the Auto Growers

Newty

Newty

Supporter
Long Story...
I've never grown Autos, I've always grown Photos. I have an 8x4 I grow, and will continue to grow, Photos in but I recently purchased an oversized 4x2 (55"x28"x80") with the plan of making it an Auto tent. Well I just purchased some Photo seeds right before purchasing the tent so I decided to run some of the Photo seeds in it since I didn't have any Auto seeds yet.

Now I have 25 Auto seeds, it's a Fast Buds mixed pack so I have no idea the strain. I also have 1 seed of Double Gorilla Cookies Auto.
The Photos I'm running in the smaller tent still have another 5-8 weeks before they will be ready but I'm itching to try and grow 1 of the Autos lol.
What I do have is 2 metal Stealth Boxes. I usually use 1 to start my seeds in and keep them in there until I transplant, the other box I'll put an extra plant or runt in to grow to harvest.
The boxes measure 20"x20"x36", could I grow 1 Auto in a 2 gallon pot to harvest in that size grow space?
I've grown plenty of Photos in it, use to grow 4 plants in each but I was able to run a shorter veg and can flip at the right height, something I can't control with an Auto.
If it's something that's achievable with training, I would like to start 1 and would be a practice run to get a little more familiar with Autos before I start growing them in the tent.
Appreciate any feedback and will gladly take tips on growing Autos in general!

tonyww93

tonyww93

Ehh that's pushing it cuz they don't like to get topped/fimmed but if u do it has to be at a certain time so they can recover before going into the stretch and flower, plus it depends if it's an XXL plant or a small strain kinda like a photo

figolus

figolus

Ehh that's pushing it cuz they don't like to get topped/fimmed but if u do it has to be at a certain time so they can recover before going into the stretch and flower, plus it depends if it's an XXL plant or a small strain kinda like a photo
I cut my apex on my three autoflow and its not xxl. You have to make an apical cut very early around the 12th day or 14th day of the exit from the ground. I have auto from fastbud , sweetseed and GB strain.

Newty

Newty

Supporter
A metal box? I'd never do it
I use to grow Photos in them but I could do short veg times. I've put 4 plants in them before and harvested 1-2 ounces per plant.
It would just be 1 Auto though, not 4.

I ended up getting 2 for $700 years ago. They were having a sale and the first one they sent me was screwed up and they sent me a second and let me keep the first one. I fixed the first one so eneded up with 2 working ones. I added 4 inch intakes as soon as I got them lol. Temps and hundreds stay perfect in the room they are in.
It was when I first got into growing, tent would of been a better option and is why I grow in tents now.

Here's a link to the metal Stealth Boxes I'm talking about

figolus

figolus

I use to grow Photos in them but I could do short veg times. I've put 4 plants in them before and harvested 1-2 ounces per plant.
It would just be 1 Auto though, not 4.

I ended up getting 2 for $700 years ago. They were having a sale and the first one they sent me was screwed up and they sent me a second and let me keep the first one. I fixed the first one so eneded up with 2 working ones. I added 4 inch intakes as soon as I got them lol. Temps and hundreds stay perfect in the room they are in.
It was when I first got into growing, tent would of been a better option and is why I grow in tents now.

Here's a link to the metal Stealth Boxes I'm talking about

90 cm in height, I think it's not enough... you never know if a plant goes crazy.... mine is 60x60x140 for 4 autoflow in 11l pots...

Newty

Newty

Supporter
90 cm in height, I think it's not enough... you never know if a plant goes crazy.... mine is 60x60x140 for 4 autoflow in 11l pots...

Yeah, might not be high enough.
I have a 55"x28"x80" tent that I'll be using for Autos, just have a bit until the Photos in there are done.

I have 26 Auto seeds, I paid $1.70 USD for each seed.
In the tent I'll be growing 3 Autos at a time so with 26 seeds that will give me 8 grows and will have 2 "extra" seeds.
I'm just going to give it a go and start germinating 1 seed now and then it will go into a 2 gallon pot and into a Stealth Box.
I've had plants within 4 inches of the light without burning.
Worse case, if I can't keep it shorter with training, I'll have to put it in my 8x4 somewhere and let it finish.
If it's a complete bust, I'm out $1.70 and 2 gallons of soil.

This hobby is all about experimenting and taking risks so why not give it a shot!

tonyww93

tonyww93

U could get away with it if ur not looking for weight like my grand daddy purple it was 🔥🔥 but small compared to the one I fimmed and bushed out

tonyww93

tonyww93

Had one auto in soil then to an aquaponic system then back to soil so anything is technically possible 🤣 lol and it still didn't do bad ended up with 55gs dried

tonyww93

tonyww93

I cut my apex on my three autoflow and its not xxl. You have to make an apical cut very early around the 12th day or 14th day of the exit from the ground. I have auto from fastbud , sweetseed and GB strain.
Ya I fim mine when they hit the 3rd node usually in the first week and a half give or take, but sounds like u understand how quickly they go from the stretch to flowering 😆

Newty

Newty

Supporter
U could get away with it if ur not looking for weight like my grand daddy purple it was 🔥🔥 but small compared to the one I fimmed and bushed out
I'm not concerned with weight for this grow but I will always take quality over weight!
I'm more doing it as a test run to get more familiar with Autos before running them in my smaller tent.

Ya I fim mine when they hit the 3rd node usually in the first week and a half give or take, but sounds like u understand how quickly they go from the stretch to flowering 😆

I would love more information about topping, fim, and training Autos from you guys! Pictures showing how you do it would be awesome as well!

figolus

figolus

I'm not concerned with weight for this grow but I will always take quality over weight!
I'm more doing it as a test run to get more familiar with Autos before running them in my smaller tent.

I would love more information about topping, fim, and training Autos from you guys! Pictures showing how you do it would be awesome as well!
I do it like this, low and dimmed light you have to wait to see the first two branches... Keep a close eye on them and when they appeared wait two days and cut the apex 14 days max, wait two or three days for both branches to develop, then lst. 21st Day Cut of the First Two Leaf Feeders Wait for the second node and stop the lst. 😁 And wait for the harvest.

Newty

Newty

Supporter
I do it like this, low and dimmed light you have to wait to see the first two branches... Keep a close eye on them and when they appeared wait two days and cut the apex 14 days max, wait two or three days for both branches to develop, then lst. 21st Day Cut of the First Two Leaf Feeders Wait for the second node and stop the lst. 😁 And wait for the harvest.
Awesome, thank you!!! I'm sure I'll need more guidance along the way, really appreciate it!
Seed is soaking now!

I just checked Fast Buds website, apparently the Auto Mix pack has strains that range from as small as 23" in height all the way up to 60" in height so hopefully the seed I chose to germinate is closer to 23" lol.

tonyww93

tonyww93

A fim is almost a topping but it stunts the vertical growth for a couple days so u end up with more branches at an even level making more of a bush than 2 heads like topping does
IMG 20240625 224303877

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have a 55"x28"x80" tent that I'll be using for Autos, just have a bit until the Photos in there are done.
How long till they're done? Would it be possible to start the autos in the small box and move them to the tent after that tent is harvested?

That's the size tent I'd like to have. 24"x48" of horizontal space can be just a little small. I'm just starting a Green Gelato Auto in a 28"x28" tent that I think I might use only for autos for a while. The extra 4" make a big difference.

Newty

Newty

Supporter
How long till they're done? Would it be possible to start the autos in the small box and move them to the tent after that tent is harvested?

That's the size tent I'd like to have. 24"x48" of horizontal space can be just a little small. I'm just starting a Green Gelato Auto in a 28"x28" tent that I think I might use only for autos for a while. The extra 4" make a big difference.
Spider Farmer makes the 55"x28"x80" in case you decide to get one 👍

The RB x Okie I have running in there won't be done for another 5-8 weeks, if closer to 5 then I very well might be able to finish it in there.

Either way, Autos are completely new to me so it will be fun just to try and do it.

I'm going to do what I can to train it to grow to harvest in the stealth box.
If I can't and don't have tent space for it, I'll throw a light up in a bedroom not being used and finish it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom