RootFarmer's 2024 Outdoor Organic Grow Journal

• Thread starter RootFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Growing from seed this year instead of clones. If there is a strain I like then I will buy some from the bargain shelf. I often get a bonus bean or more. I have an unknown Airheadz cross, an unknown GDP cross, fem Blueberry cupcake and fem Notorious THC (both purchased hard to pass up 5 fems for 15 each. All sown on 4/8 except the GDP which I started about the time the others sprouted. Maybe 4-5 days. I used peat pucks that were inoculated and pretreated with dilute fulvic acid, B-1, phos and iron. Beyond that just a water misting until I got at least 2 sets of true leaves then a pinch of neem seed meal top dress. Started under a 200w 6500k LED. I find that it keeps them short with good root and leaf development. Once I had sufficient rooting they were transferred to small nursery starters filled with an organic starter soil amended with alfalfa/kelp/inoculant. I skipped the transition pots and put them right in their final home. Ended up with two mutants (a tripled and one that grows one little leaf "cup" and only on one spot. Both from purchased seeds, different strains. Only one male.

Went down from my usual 30 gal fabric pots to 25 gal this year. I made my own organic soil. Recipe is as follows:

Premixed in each pot.
30 % Forest wood fines/chips/forest humus blend
25% Mix of Pumice, horti Perlite and Perlite #4 (I just kinda mix by sight)
25% Peat moss
15% Blended compost (mint/ocean fish/poultry manure/worm castings))
2 cups Dr. Earth Compost Starter
2 cups Cracked sprouted high DP barley
1 cup Neem seed meal
1 cup Corn cob bits inoculated with BTI
1/2 cup Diatomaceous earth
1/2 cup Roots Uprising bloom

Transplants were put in partial full and indirect sun for a few days before being moved to their final home. The back patio gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun each day. Once the girls are settled in, I side dress with granular humic acid and ironite at about 4 Tsp each.

Every ingredient has a specific intent. Basic soil structure is based on a 50% pore space and 50% solids native soil model. The pore space is roughly 25% water and 25% air. I take into consideration anything that may be dual/multi purpose. For example, peat moss, bark components, compost, organic matter. Corn cob bits provid both air and water given their shape and absorbency, as well as providing an anchor and consistent carb source for roots and microbes. I include nutrients that provide slow, medium and fast release. The goal is consistent feeding throughout the season. The nitrogen could be a bit high at first based on coloration, some minor clawing on a few blades and a bit of early stretch which, with the timing of my FIMMED FIM works out great for me. It opens to lower canopy for me a bit and I can make early culling decisions. At first I just pinch new shoots on the interior growth. I want to keep the fan leaves for awhile until I start to get some good apical growth then I take those too. If it isn't giving energy, then you're losing what can go toward new growth. I usually do progressive harvesting so a few smaller more interior buds will finish up about the time I'm done dealing with what I've already cut down. I like my little B buds. They keep me out of the good stuff while it's finishing its cure. Lol

I add support poles before the roots get extended out too far. I don't really make any decisions about the location of the branch support until about the first part of July.

From there on out it's just water with a few exceptions. A 1/4 dose of fulvic acid 3 time a week. I inoculate once a week. Around mid May I give a 1/4 dose of Langbeinite and gradually increase until we are in fill flower. The girls seem ta start smelling a little terpy well before July. During flower a touch of phos and the Langbeinite now and then. About 3 weeks before harvest I switch to just langbenite and ten a week or whatever until harvest the just get water. Once I've decided when I'm going to harvest they get nothing for a day or two. Seems to cut my dry time a bit.

I didn't take any baby pics but will post a few of what I have soon.

Thanks for reading

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I am far less thorough then you are. When it comes to the giant ball of ionized plasma in the sky, im bout as thorough as loam, compost, and goat shit tbh.

What part of the world you in-ish?

Im growing from sativa dom F1 seed outdoors instead of clones for the first time this year. And tbh, kinda blown away.

So they are like a middle ground between bagseed and breeder seeds? Interesting.

Mjpc
RootFarmer

RootFarmer

I am far less thorough then you are. When it comes to the giant ball of ionized plasma in the sky, im bout as thorough as loam, compost, and goat shit tbh.

What part of the world you in-ish?

Im growing from sativa dom F1 seed outdoors instead of clones for the first time this year. And tbh, kinda blown away.

So they are like a middle ground between bagseed and breeder seeds? Interesting.
Lmao you're hilarious. I'm in beautiful Oregon.

Yea I suppose you could be right about the bagseed/breeder thing. The B buds were mighty mites so I'm sure whatever it is will be great! It's not always B buds either. When harvest is hitting the market they are motivated to move product. The GDP was an ounce of mostly 3-4" rock hard spears and some smaller popcorn buds to fill out the weight. I think I paid a ridiculous $30 or $40 for it. It was a medicinal purchase for my wife.

If you were farming in the KC area back in the 80s I could have sampled your handy work a time or two. Ever grow Panama Red or id remember some particularly good Colombian going around? Lol You're obviously a sativa guy.

Galgrows

Galgrows

Well howdy neighbor 🫲 I think i saw a post from you before? I'm in Roseburg, got me some blueberry muffin x3 i cloned from earlier grow and 1 white widow x purple kush oh yes a couple slurricanes that are blooming there brains out. No sign of reveg just filling out. Those others are cuts i made March close to 4 months old. Boy i could really clone somemore but i'm not gonna run any till maybe Nov. i got a no tent rule during summer LOL😇 Keep up your posts i'd love to follow a fellow Oregon grower. Good luck

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Well howdy neighbor 🫲 I think i saw a post from you before? I'm in Roseburg, got me some blueberry muffin x3 i cloned from earlier grow and 1 white widow x purple kush oh yes a couple slurricanes that are blooming there brains out. No sign of reveg just filling out. Those others are cuts i made March close to 4 months old. Boy i could really clone somemore but i'm not gonna run any till maybe Nov. i got a no tent rule during summer LOL😇 Keep up your posts i'd love to follow a fellow Oregon grower. Good luck
Hi there right around the corner-ish. WWxPK two of my favorite genetics. The gods must be smiling on me today. Please, please, pleeeeaaaase tell me you keep a slurri momma going. If you havent noticed i might be willing to beg. Lol It is the must-have medical strain for me and my wife. We both have chronic illnesses and we were so glad when we saw it going around the shops lately. Slurricane is hands down the best thing there is for my colitis. Works great for pain too but nothing beats mandarin sunset for that. Anyway.....thanks for the welcome. I'll follow you back.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Looks great they are lovin the sun an heat were getting. I watered a.m. an p.m. yesterday.
It's getting to be that time of year. Using smaller pots this year so I'm expecting. I cut back the volume a little on really hot days. They seem to handle the heat better but definitely usually requires 2/day.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

June 10 - Blueberry cupcake
20240611 110501 resize 83

She has a very open branch structure. Coming along ok. Not my best performer so far.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

June 10 - the weird little triploid mutant started growing downward so she got topped at about 6" tall.
20240611 110531 resize 87

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Saw a bad omen around sunset. Lacewing eggs on one of the girls. Time to be on the look out. They don't set up camp where there's no food. Ugh!

Galgrows

Galgrows

Hmm no sign of them at my place yet but i did see my first white moth flying around so??? In regards to the slurricanes.....depends how far you are LOL. I got a sister who i visit in central point and a daughter who lives near Eugene. I would be more than happy to haul one of those slurricane plants after i harvest. I will leave plenty of green nodes an stems with greenary on them so you could reveg if you want to. They are in 10gal plastic nursery pots. I'll post update on my grow later. It appears that were gonna get some cooler low 80s temps. for next week.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Lucky you! Let's hope that continues. We have the moths here invariably but haven't been an issue for me so far. One hard freeze a year would be nice. I swear that the fungus gnats and aphids never go away or is it just me. Any plant I grow of any kind ends up in all out biological warfare. Flowers, veggies, herbs, cacti....outside....inside in winter. Wtf! Lol Not like I don't use every preventative measures to avoid any issues. I think the rabbits take breeding lessons from these buggers. Oi! My probiotic foliar has stopped the leaf chompers....probably stink bugs....so far. Knock on wood.

I'm in Rip City just down the road from you. I've been tossing around the idea of enclosing my patio in winter and either doing a winter cycle in a tent or starting my seeds or even clones way early and transplanting small trees in spring. I still have an ancient mag ballast from the dinosaur ages. I think maybe i could use all that heat output to my advantage. Lol Could make a nice home for that slurricane.

Will try to post a few more recent pics. Not in the habit of taking pics of my gardens. I come from a time when.....well the first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club....if you know what I mean. One person's momento is another person's felony evidence. Lol

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Lucky you! Let's hope that continues. We have the moths here invariably but haven't been an issue for me so far. One hard freeze a year would be nice. I swear that the fungus gnats and aphids never go away or is it just me. Any plant I grow of any kind ends up in all out biological warfare. Flowers, veggies, herbs, cacti....outside....inside in winter. Wtf! Lol Not like I don't use every preventative measures to avoid any issues. I think the rabbits take breeding lessons from these buggers. Oi! My probiotic foliar has stopped the leaf chompers....probably stink bugs....so far. Knock on wood.

I'm in Rip City just down the road from you. I've been tossing around the idea of enclosing my patio in winter and either doing a winter cycle in a tent or starting my seeds or even clones way early and transplanting small trees in spring. I still have an ancient mag ballast from the dinosaur ages. I think maybe i could use all that heat output to my advantage. Lol Could make a nice home for that slurricane.

Will try to post a few more recent pics. Not in the habit of taking pics of my gardens. I come from a time when.....well the first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club....if you know what I mean. One person's momento is another person's felony evidence. Lol
It's really changed here on the left coast. Unless I'm flooding the illegal market they couldn't care less but if the feds consider me a threat then they'd do whatever they wanted anyway so fk it😉

Top Bottom