Tiny white bugs in coco.. not springtail and prob not H. Miles - VIDEO ID

• Thread starter Pisano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pisano

Pisano

Just inspected the bottom of a pot, coco is the medium. Also took a sample of coco at the bottom of a pot and put it under a microscope. Used some blue painters tape to do this.

I think I have 2 maybe 3 different types of bugs in these videos.

The first video shows tiny ass white bugs at 1000x microscope. They move slow which I know isn’t a good sign. I’ve also seen some webbing at the bottom of some pots and even between some roots. I have seen any adult root aphids but maybe I just haven’t identified them yet.

Having some issues uploading these vids so may come in a series after this post.

Anthem

Anthem

I am pretty sure they are rice root aphids, they will attack cannabis as well. To confirm do they have what are called stove pipes on their butts? I went thru the pictures as best as I could not cannot tell for sure. The stove pipes would be the confirmation.

Pisano

Pisano

I am pretty sure they are rice root aphids, they will attack cannabis as well. To confirm do they have what are called stove pipes on their butts? I went thru the pictures as best as I could not cannot tell for sure. The stove pipes would be the confirmation.
Damn. First video or both?

Pisano

Pisano

I think this is one caught from the second video.

@Anthem Don’t think aphids create webbing.. any idea if that connected or signs of something else? Any chance they are just a coco/soil mite? (Just hoping over here). Haven’t seen any spider mites or webbing on the plant, just on the pots, tables and looks like in the coco from second video.

Anthem

Anthem

I cannot see your videos well enough to confirm. The stove pipes I mention will determine if the bugs in the first video are root aphids. Once those are identified you can move thru the life schedule of the root aphid to determine what some of the over things you are seeing might be. If you have some yellow stick trapper stick them up to look for adults

Pisano

Pisano

I cannot see your videos well enough to confirm. The stove pipes I mention will determine if the bugs in the first video are root aphids. Once those are identified you can move thru the life schedule of the root aphid to determine what some of the over things you are seeing might be. If you have some yellow stick trapper stick them up to look for adults

I’ll head down with a yellow sticky and see what else I can find. The video with the small cluster is literally on a grain of coco and magnified 1000x.. that’s how small those little guys are.

Anthem

Anthem

I’ll head down with a yellow sticky and see what else I can find. The video with the small cluster is literally on a grain of coco and magnified 1000x.. that’s how small those little guys are.
So you cannot see them with the necked eye?

Pisano

Pisano

So you cannot see them with the necked eye?
First video posted, hell no. I can hardly see them under scope.

The second video, depends if they are h miles then I can see them on the pot, I cant see anything really on the root itself but could be because they are white and all the bugs are white. The smallest bug my naked eye can get are the h miles.

as always thank you @Anthem

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I have no idea what they are, but I think I'd introduce them to some beneficial nematodes or predator mites.

Anthem

Anthem

First video posted, hell no. I can hardly see them under scope.

The second video, depends if they are h miles then I can see them on the pot, I cant see anything really on the root itself but could be because they are white and all the bugs are white. The smallest bug my naked eye can get are the h miles.

as always thank you @Anthem
The rice root aphid goes thru several life changes before it will become an adult and Can fly. That being said. once they come up near the surface they should appear to be a light brown color and have the stove pips on the ass I keep mentioning. At this point they are about 1/16" long. If you confirm these traits you have root aphids. At which point I would kill off the room and sterilize everything al least twice before I would consider growing in that room again. Treatment with those bastards really is not effective IMO

Pisano

Pisano

The rice root aphid goes thru several life changes before it will become an adult and Can fly. That being said. once they come up near the surface they should appear to be a light brown color and have the stove pips on the ass I keep mentioning. At this point they are about 1/16" long. If you confirm these traits you have root aphids. At which point I would kill off the room and sterilize everything al least twice before I would consider growing in that room again. Treatment with those bastards really is not effective IM

@Anthem @mysticepipedon

Looked for hours this morning. Several Plants scope and no scope... didn't see any brown or anything that looked like aphids. Looked at the top of the coco and through the openings in the bottom of the pots Everything crawling I can see I am positive was a H Miles. Nothing that was 1/16th in size... that's like 2-3 times the size of the H miles IMO.

The little suckers moving in the first video are the tiniest bugs I've seen outside of russets. Could they be another type of mite? Soil/Coco mite? Head scratcher....

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Sometimes When my medium is super saturated I get these soil mites that I believe are mould mite(Tyrophagus putrescentiae). They don't munch on any live plants but I think they eat slime mould and other decaying materials. I can just barely see them moving on my black containers, it's really hard to see them on the soil.Here's some pics of them I found online. Could this be what you have?
Grain mite tyrophagus putrescentiae adults on black background X5HW6B
Medium

They are pretty easy to identify with the almost hairy back. That's how I could tell what they were

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Pisano

Pisano

Sometimes When my medium is super saturated I get these soil mites that I believe are mould mite(Tyrophagus putrescentiae). They don't munch on any live plants but I think they eat slime mould and other decaying materials. I can just barely see them moving on my black containers, it's really hard to see them on the soil.Here's some pics of them I found online. Could this be what you have?
View attachment 1295703View attachment 1295704

They are pretty easy to identify with the almost hairy back. That's how I could tell what they were
This may be one of the bugs I'm finding in the Coco. Do they move really slow or fast? I believe these are what I see in saturated coco moving hella slow..

Pisano

Pisano

White flies in the first one and spider mites in the second.
What kind of pets do you have?

Full strength;
I don't think they are white flies. I don't have any fliers in the garden and those also look a lot bigger than what I'm finding. Looks like you can see white flies by eye.. the bugs in the first video are at 1000x scope and you can still barely see them. They look like some kind of mite.. still scratching my head.

Could be spider mites in the second video, not ruling it out. I don't have any webbing anywhere on the plants, just some in the roots and on the outside of the pots at the base where there is coco sticking out as you can see in the video. Anything else that could create the web outside of mites? Can fungus/bacteria create that as well like tricaderma?

Pisano

Pisano

Just inspected the bottom of a pot, coco is the medium. Also took a sample of coco at the bottom of a pot and put it under a microscope. Used some blue painters tape to do this.

I think I have 2 maybe 3 different types of bugs in these videos.

The first video shows tiny ass white bugs at 1000x microscope. They move slow which I know isn’t a good sign. I’ve also seen some webbing at the bottom of some pots and even between some roots. I have seen any adult root aphids but maybe I just haven’t identified them yet.

Having some issues uploading these vids so may come in a series after this post.

For anyone that will find this post in the future and wonder what the answer is to the first post/video... these are soil mites. Depending on where you research, most people will say they are beneficial for your garden. They are beneficial to the soil in the decomposition process. They consume bacteria and fungi in the soil. They can also eat harmful soil-dwelling creatures.

The third video I posted is for sure the mould / mold mite.. thanks @PrimoClonesCanada. Was able to get a better look today at one and was spot on to what you sent.

My first reaction is always the same when I find bugs I have never seen before.... "F$CK!!" 😅 But in all sincerity, some are beneficial and you want to let thrive. I appreciate people jumping on and just saying "use this" or "try that" with a nuke em' approach but IF I did that here I would have spent a shit ton more money and only created issues to the plants. I know most people here are just trying to help and not throwing any shade but my/our first reaction is just to "do something" without knowing for sure. Better to continue digging for info and know exactly what's going on before just jumping to some kind of "treatment".

Just my 2 cents... hopefully whoever reads this will sleep better than the sleep I lost trying to figure this one out.

Top Bottom