Unexpected timing: is she already close to finishing?

• Thread starter ENKI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

ENKI

Hey guys, allow me to paint the whole picture :)

This is my second grow. During my first one, I grew a hybrid (70% indica, 30% sativa) and was very pleased with the result. Now, I'm growing two plants instead of one: the same hybrid as before + another 100% indica.

The hybrid is behaving exactly as the first time, except for the fact that some adjustements in my setup made her double up in size compared to the first one :) I can tell she has still more than a month to go, as expected.

The indica, on the other hand, is behaving unexpectedly: is she already close to finishing? How long, would you say? (see attached pics). On paper, she should have finished even later than the hybrid. If she is indeed close to finishing, I'm a bit bummed because the buds are overall quite small. They are also FULL of crystals, though, and hopefully dense enough to make up for the size.

I'm also attaching some magnified pics of the trichomes: it's impossible (at least for my equipment and myself) to have the whole picture in focus, sorry :D

Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 2
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 3
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 4
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 5
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 6
Unexpected timing is she already close to finishing 7
E

ENKI

Also, this is the first and only plant I've ever topped. Could this have to do with the faster maturation, somehow? :D

Sunin

Sunin

no. plants topped slow down not speed up. With exact timing the only option is to check daily. You want all milk or further. Might be a week, might be two, it's nature after all 😉
and did you topped that plant when it was in veg or when it was already flowering?

Last edited:
E

ENKI

no. plants topped slow down not speed up. With exact timing the only option is to check daily. You want all milk or further. Might be a week, might be two, it's nature after all 😉
and did you topped that plant when it was in veg or when it was already flowering?
Thanks! I topped the plant in early veg, when it had 5 or 6 nodes. I'm still not in a position to judge, but I don't think I will keep topping going forward. LST by itself seems to work better for me (though the two plants I'm growing are different strains, so it's hard to tell)

F

Farmville

trichomes on the leaves will always be cloudy and more amber then on the actual bud site. So when checking check on the sites where the hairs are coming out of. Also only check when all the white hairs of the bud site turn from white to orange/red. When this happens the spots the hairs come out of will swell up giving the bud the size you are accustomed to and aren’t seeing.

You’ve got another month to go I would say. If you chop now it’ll be a waste I would say because all the weight comes later into flower after the stretch right after the white hairs are put everywhere. That swell adds weight and comes next. Then after that the bud sites will just seem like they’re not developing. That’s the ripening phase.

The quickest I’ve seen a strain finish up was a week early because I checked the bud sites and seen all cloudy trichomes with 10% amber. I prefer the more anxiety giving paranoia ridden smoke. If I would’ve waited longer it would be a more relaxing smoke. So seven total weeks of flower.

So just relax and continue your feed regiment for awhile. Post some updates and see your buds swell

E

ENKI

trichomes on the leaves will always be cloudy and more amber then on the actual bud site. So when checking check on the sites where the hairs are coming out of. Also only check when all the white hairs of the bud site turn from white to orange/red. When this happens the spots the hairs come out of will swell up giving the bud the size you are accustomed to and aren’t seeing.

You’ve got another month to go I would say. If you chop now it’ll be a waste I would say because all the weight comes later into flower after the stretch right after the white hairs are put everywhere. That swell adds weight and comes next. Then after that the bud sites will just seem like they’re not developing. That’s the ripening phase.

The quickest I’ve seen a strain finish up was a week early because I checked the bud sites and seen all cloudy trichomes with 10% amber. I prefer the more anxiety giving paranoia ridden smoke. If I would’ve waited longer it would be a more relaxing smoke. So seven total weeks of flower.

So just relax and continue your feed regiment for awhile. Post some updates and see your buds swell
Thanks! I will definitely wait and monitor the situation. ~ 1 month is what I was indeed expecting initially. It's just that the buds look so much more mature than the other strain I've already grown and came to know, so it seems weird that they have more or less the same time left to go. I guess it makes sense that different strains mature at different rates throughout their life cycles though.

F

Farmville

Thanks! I will definitely wait and monitor the situation. ~ 1 month is what I was indeed expecting initially. It's just that the buds look so much more mature than the other strain I've already grown and came to know, so it seems weird that they have more or less the same time left to go. I guess it makes sense that different strains mature at different rates throughout their life cycles though.
No problem yeah different strains will mature at different speeds. Just make sure to watch for the white hairs to turn orange red then the buds will swell up all around the hairs only leaving the ends to be seen. It’ll be nice to watch these mature I like your first picture it looks healthy and I like the Trichomes on the second picture. Also remember to only top in vegetative stage. Flowering stage your plant can’t handle the stress, is on a time limit to finish and if they experience a topping they’ll be stunted. Good job on your flowers they look fire

E

ENKI

Hey! I just wanted to say thanks again for the tip! I just kept waiting, and medium-sized flowers are now bigger than the biggest bud I had at the time of this post 🤩 I will wait another week or two and see what happens :)

F

Farmville

Nice you should post an update I bet they look even better than before. I’m glad you didn’t cut early. I was reading about someone who chopped two or more weeks early and the bud was a racy head high paranoia ridden buzz. He said he ended up throwing out like a pound of it because he had other harvests that weren’t done early.

I did a week early before and I’ll admit the high was a racy paranoid one

Top Bottom