Denying water the last week of flower.

• Thread starter 7munkee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
7munkee

7munkee

I'm on my last 5 days of my 70-day flower cycle starting in the morning and I'm going to deny this plant water and darkness. The complete opposite of what most folks tell you to do.
Denying water the last week of flower

Any thoughts on this?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I like to drought stress them at the end, outdoors! Don’t know that it makes a huge difference, but it makes me feel better!😁 I think it makes more of a difference when the plant is finishing in mid to late September when it is still hot and dry! Less of a difference when they are finishing in November when it is cool and more humid!

Last edited:
7munkee

7munkee

It's an organic grow in Coots mix. (1 part peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part castings with neam seed meal, kelp meal, and crab meal for nutes)

This is its 3rd cycle I think. It's hard to keep track because I have 4 Earthboxes that I bought at various times. This is a cutting of 'Girl Crush' (by Mendicino Twenty20) I took from my last grow when I flipped lights.

I added 1/4 cup of Seabird Guano 2 weeks before flipping lights to flower and worm castings and fulvic acid the day I flipped lights.

It has a 3-gallon water reservoir that it goes through every other day and it was dry this morning.

Edited to add: I also used 4 cups of mineral mix from BuildASoil for calcium and trace minerals. I gave it some sprouted corn, barley and mustard seeds that I ground up in my coffee grinder when I started the cutting for the aminos.

7munkee

7munkee

Earlier today I watched a video with Bruce Bugbee. He said to keep the lights on.
Exactly. My thoughts are plants need to photosynthesize to do anything at all and 5 days is not long enough to revert them back to veg or grow balls.

I'm hoping that water denying stress will make drying quicker.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'm hoping that water denying stress will make drying quicker.
I haven't denied water. I just harvest on the day the plant would normally be watered — or maybe a day or two later. The roots hold a lot of water, so it's hard to say how dry the buds would be. The flower buds are the priority for the plant, so it will give everything it has to keep them going.

Quicker drying, by the way, usually isn't recommended. The problem is the plant doesn't dry evenly. The inside of the buds dry slower. That often occurs when the heat is too high. So, I suspect denying water might not change the drying time significantly. That surely depends on the drying method, though.

7munkee

7munkee

I haven't denied water. I just harvest on the day the plant would normally be watered — or maybe a day or two later. The roots hold a lot of water, so it's hard to say how dry the buds would be. The flower buds are the priority for the plant, so it will give everything it has to keep them going.

Quicker drying, by the way, usually isn't recommended. The problem is the plant doesn't dry evenly. The inside of the buds dry slower. That often occurs when the heat is too high. So, I suspect denying water might not change the drying time significantly. That surely depends on the drying method, though.
Your more than likely right. I don't hang long anyway...maybe 5 days...then I remove big leaves and lay the branches in a tote for a week or so before trimming and jarring. This method gives me the best taste/smell of any that I have tried. I even put freshly cut branches in a wine fridge before and of course I lost all smell but the smoke was excellent.

Stokes

Stokes

Not disputing the effectiveness of it, but what are the theoretical benefits of denying water? Ive heard of light deprivation, tried it and didnt see a noticeable difference. Also dont understand because wouldnt any new trichome production need to be matured?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Not disputing the effectiveness of it, but what are the theoretical benefits of denying water? Ive heard of light deprivation, tried it and didnt see a noticeable difference. Also dont understand because wouldnt any new trichome production need to be matured?
I mentioned Bruce Bugbee's comments in a previous post. He didn't mention water deprivation, but I think there are similarities. I'm not good at remembering exactly what people say, but it had to do with stopping growth processes, which both water and light deprivation would do. He couldn't imagine how that would be helpful. I'll go through my youtube history to see if I can find the video.

Stokes

Stokes

I mentioned Bruce Bugbee's comments in a previous post. He didn't mention water deprivation, but I think there are similarities. I'm not good at remembering exactly what people say, but it had to do with stopping growth processes, which both water and light deprivation would do. He couldn't imagine how that would be helpful. I'll go through my youtube history to see if I can find the video.

I personally think hes spot on. Im clearly no scientist though.

If theres one thing i would like a better understanding of, is the functions that drive trichome production and maturing, if theres a way to stop metabolite storage. specifically if the processes can be sped up through environmental or nutritional adjustments. Z

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I agree.

If theres one thing i would like a better understanding of, is the functions that drive trichome production and maturing, if theres a way to stop metabolite storage. specifically if the processes can be sped up through environmental or nutritional adjustments. Z
You're not alone there.

Mono silicic acid is supposed to be the best silicon amendment to help grow trichomes. I haven't tried it yet. I amend diatomaceous earth and also use Silica Boost from Bloom City which has potassium silicate.

Bugbee contemplated running the lights 24/0 near the end of flowering. I'd want to know more about that before I tried it, though.

7munkee

7munkee

I definitely don't expect any trichome production or even maturing, what I am after is less water in the plant at chop. As an organic grower, it's vital to retain moisture in the soil...no dry backs between watering. Otherwise the life processes in the soil get interrupted. But this soil was made by my daughter in law and she grew 2 cycles from it and I grew 1. I'm not sure she followed my directions when she mixed it so I am dumping it and starting from scratch. I have 2 other Earthboxes that I mixed are getting ready for their 6th cycle and still going strong.

If you haven't tried Earthboxes, please do. They are powerhouses.
80405 EBX OG REG RTG TRC Stock  042191645636985 1  14659

7munkee

7munkee

I agree.

You're not alone there.

Mono silicic acid is supposed to be the best silicon amendment to help grow trichomes. I haven't tried it yet. I amend diatomaceous earth and also use Silica Boost from Bloom City which has potassium silicate.

Bugbee contemplated running the lights 24/0 near the end of flowering. I'd want to know more about that before I tried it, though.
I use the same one from Bloom City. Just once or twice per grow.

Stokes

Stokes

I definitely don't expect any trichome production or even maturing, what I am after is less water in the plant at chop. As an organic grower, it's vital to retain moisture in the soil...no dry backs between watering. Otherwise the life processes in the soil get interrupted. But this soil was made by my daughter in law and she grew 2 cycles from it and I grew 1. I'm not sure she followed my directions when she mixed it so I am dumping it and starting from scratch. I have 2 other Earthboxes that I mixed are getting ready for their 6th cycle and still going strong.

If you haven't tried Earthboxes, please do. They are powerhouses.View attachment 2165707

Cool concept. Kind of similar to walmart totes I use outdoors sometimes. Except i’ll use gravel/pumice at the bottom. I’ll probably be on coco my next couple grows tho to justify my latest micro fixation expenditures 😂

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
When they're late in flower they don't drink as much anymore, but that constant light till the end? Why? Seems like your drawing moisture out of the plant (along with the terpenes). Letting it recuperate with the lights off would let it regenerate to max moisture levels as well as retaining the terpenes. My 2 cents.

7munkee

7munkee

When they're late in flower they don't drink as much anymore, but that constant light till the end? Why? Seems like your drawing moisture out of the plant (along with the terpenes). Letting it recuperate with the lights off would let it regenerate to max moisture levels as well as retaining the terpenes. My 2 cents.
Terpenes are created from photosynthesis. There is no photosynthesis without light. 4 or 5 days of straight will not revert my plant or make it grow pollen sacs and denying water may speed drying. I'm moving in two weeks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom