Experiaments with gen 3 LED's lights

• Thread starter mace
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mace

mace

Gen 3 LED's lights

Hey folks, after having a somewhat successful harvest with personal built LED array's i decided to purchase some from HTGsupply.com. Their gen 3 lights are decently priced for what you get and they cover all the right spectrum.

This will be an ongoing grow journal of a few strains to learn how to better manage them under LED lights.

Currently i have Bubble gum (clone only), OG Kush (might not keep these), Jack Herer (mother only), and just popped 10 beans of Jillybean for a hopeful male to cross with.

More to come later, as well as pics.

mace

mace

Okay, feb 1st update:
The 2 bubble gum's are what i have chosen to flower out. I killed off the kush's in fear of dealing with hermies, better safe than sorry. Right now the plants are at 27-28" (inches) and i want to wait till 30" before i start 12/12(per grow recommendations). My hopes are to pull a pound off these four lights on the two plants. I am brewing some organic tea right now(a day late, of course) and suspect i will be turning the girls in the next 3 days.

More to follow soon.

A few pics, there's some of the two bubble gums i will be turning, and my BG mom, Jack Herer Mom, and the 10 Jilly Bean seedlings.

IMG 1646 1024x683

IMG 1647 1024x683

IMG 1648 1024x683

IMG 1652 1024x683

IMG 1653 1024x683

IMG 1655 1024x683

IMG 1656 1024x683

IMG 1658 1024x683

IMG 1659 1024x683

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Looking good. Haven't had much faith in the LED's yet..just don't save enough energy to make up for the extra cost, but I really want to see what they can do, so count me in. I love HTGsupply!!

T

thc4sim

niceOne Mace,

Always interested to see results from the LED's,
as the prices are dropping all the time on those UFO's..

U

USMCtanker

im looken forward to see how they do, looks great, love the setup

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
So is that roughly $1200 bucks for lighting over 2 plants?

I still don't get it, there were lack luster results from the initial test and ya dropped some more coin on additional LED's, just doesn't make since to me..is power savings the draw or the perverbial "low heat"? low heat is a farse, all the real well eingineered units I have seen have huge heat sinks or even a water cooled jacket on them to combat the heat from the LED configuration.

Thank God most modern houses have 200amps of power coming into them, I mean NASA is operating off of batteries and solar arrays to power their gear, so thats understandable but down here on earth we have an electrical grid to spoil us on cheap available power..

I wonder how long you would have to run a LED setup to realize any savings over a straight up digital ballast and bulb combo? once you factor in the intial cost and overall reliability..

I have a few friends playing with these in their various forms and the results have been comical, that's why I get frustarted reading the newest garb touting the results from LED's and they are just not there..I don't get it at all..

Following along intently..

Tex

Tex

sour power

sour power

well i was wondering about the led but if tex says its wack i wont even bother.my time is to precious

R

rottenjohn

At the end of the day it should really help shed light on the efficiency and effectiveness of these lights. I am interested in led tech but haven't taken the plunge. More grows like these will help a lot of people flock to or stay away from them. I appreciate the fact that mace is being persistant in using these lights for the time being. Maybe with the right strain, nutes etc..

mace

mace

Welcome aboard everyone!

TK: Definitely see where you're coming from on this. It was 1,400 for all four. The draw in the total power saving, the heat is a nice add-on since im renting the place i currently live at. The more stealth i can keep things the better. I don't know how the heat thing is a farse, though. It's fact that LED's are much more efficient at turning electricity into power and the radiant heat produced is considerably lower than that of the equal energy output of a hps.

I'm not one that thinks power is going to remain cheap for much longer, and here in cali power has a way of biting you in the ass. To factor in cost is easy, but i need a total yield from a unit that is mass produced. It's kinda of why im doing this all over again. After this grow we should have a buy/dont buy for right now.
for a HPS i figure about 600 out the door for a light setup. 1000 out the door if you include fan, ducting, tools, time for install, yadda yadda. So that's 1000 upfront, and operating costs are $150 per/month 1,000 watts in my area. rought math(that's 1800 + 1000= 2800) add on top of that let's just say 2 bulbs a year for argument's sake(300 for both). So 3100, hundred bucks the first year, and an additional 2100 every year after[cost rise with power]). Also, for those of you afraid of FLIR camera's this has an added benefit too, i'd imagine.

The reason i chose this version is they are supposed to be in the correct NM wavelengths that the plants need. Version's in the past are definitely not.

I just really like playing with the latest tech. I'm hoping that i wont have to add in an HPS backbone, but this is the first grow i've seen with LED's to try and tackle the light penetration issue. Here's to hoping

:bong-hits:

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The increased yield of just one flip under the HID's will cover the difference in operating cost with the quickness...in that same tent with a single 1000w you can pull 2.5-3lbs pretty easy with a little attention, you could almost just do one flip a year under the HID's and then shut down for 8 or 9 months and pull the same wieght as the LED's runnin all year.

F.L.I.R. is still illegal in he US to use for the purpose of identifying grow ops and being in a med state it seems a little silly to me to worry about heat signatures.

You are correct about the actual bulbs radiant heat but it all the other stuff it takes to get that bulb burnin that is the termendous heat source..

Tex

V

vintageherb

Well Mace I bought the same led ..and I'm pretty sure those guy's did there homework on this ufo..I'm doing 4 under 1... Keep up the good work..Then again I'm into it for quality then quantity

B

British_Hempire

The UFO output in photons is very small, the claims of it matching a 400W HPS are ludicrous. A 400W HPS puts out about 500 uE of photonic energy, a UFO is not much more than a tenth of that. Sure, it has a better spectrum, but that isn't going to make all that much difference. A 90W UFO outputs less photons than a 125W envirolite so you'd need 7 or 8 of them to match a 400W.

V

vintageherb

Guys really I'm just tring to pull some quality buds.. I have a 430 hps and a 600 ..Just playing around and from what I'm reading the resin is double with the ufo plus taste and smell have been increased ..It's just head stash anyway

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Guys really I'm just tring to pull some quality buds.. I have a 430 hps and a 600 ..Just playing around and from what I'm reading the resin is double with the ufo plus taste and smell have been increased ..It's just head stash anyway

Stick with your 600w and 430w for now, you will be sadly disappointed if you switch to the LED's at least at this point of the technologies developement..

Reading or putting in print supposed results is way different than actual real life results, double the resin, hwat a joke.. I have yet to see any badass results..it seems funny to me if these were all they say they are, wht don't we see hundreds and hundreds of successfull experiences? not even one or two over the years...Hmmm seems odd. Not even the actual manufacturers do side by sides to support their argument.

NASA grows in zero gravity also, lets chase that capability, now thats the ticket..

Tex

V

vintageherb

I agree 100% Texas kid . I've had cola's the size of my leg under my hps . I guess it's something new for me and I'm SURE I'm not going to get anything close from my past results ..Check out these ufo's at www.hidhut.com looks like there trying to step it up

B

British_Hempire

UFO's don't produce double resin, I have actually done some LED growing and you do get a tad more resin, and the smell is increased a little bit, but neither increase is worth mentioning really. None of the LED lights on the market currently are any good, some of them are just garbage. Probably the only way you are gonna get any kind of worthwhile result with the UFO is to supplement it with some CFLs.

V

vintageherb

Hey BH what if i take that satellite and add 8 100w cfls on it

mace

mace

Ugh, all of this discussion is making me rethink this, maybe i will use one of the 1000's i have lying around for the first run....

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Ugh, all of this discussion is making me rethink this, maybe i will use one of the 1000's i have lying around for the first run....

And sage wisdom prevails.....lol

No one to date has shown any stellar results using any form of LED's. I could be completely wrong and if I am please shoot me a link to one single grow that rivales HID's in yeild, potency, density, finish time, etc...

Tex

Top Bottom