First timer-hydroponics grow in cabinet

• Thread starter PeregrineRefuge8281
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

That downward wrinkle can be from n toxicity. I just had it on a bigger plant than that at 1.3 ec.
Right on, I’ll keep an eye out. After my res change I put EC to .9. Do you think that is too low?

I call it the lobster claw. But I know it ain’t good! I’m just excited to be getting after this!! Thanks for the tip.

Charlie946

Charlie946

.9 sounds better for a plant that size. You will see a recovery in a few days if that was the culprit. I take the recommendation on the bottle as a "max par" situation. I usually start with half of what they call for. The best indicator is the plant, aim for lush green level leaves.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Right on, I’ll keep an eye out. After my res change I put EC to .9. Do you think that is too low?

I call it the lobster claw. But I know it ain’t good! I’m just excited to be getting after this!! Thanks for the tip.
I run f/d so it's a bit different but not much. Your main issue from what I see is your running way to rich. I go with ppm which is a little more accurate imo. Turn your pump off just a second and get an accurate reading of the depth in the resv. and check the ppm, do this daily. PPM should remain constant as the water level drops.

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

I run f/d so it's a bit different but not much. Your main issue from what I see is your running way to rich. I go with ppm which is a little more accurate imo. Turn your pump off just a second and get an accurate reading of the depth in the resv. and check the ppm, do this daily. PPM should remain constant as the water level drops.
I’m not sure what f/d is, your point is clear.

Originally, I followed the nutrient directions and learned I shouldn’t follow them to a T.

I didn’t realize I basically had to use only half of what is suggested.

Thanks again.

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

You guys ready for the horror? My water temp is 65-67*F now but the highest it gets is 70.

Recap: This happened because I didn’t research enough and I didn’t cover the rock wool and it created an algae storm.

I changed my res two days ago and sterilized everything I could reach and let the water/H2O2 mix circulate for several hours and yet, it wasn’t enough.

The algae came back in full force the very next day.

I’m sterilizing everything again but I’m not sure what to do here.

I accidentally overdosed Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungicide and then this happened. Not sure what to make of it.

IMG 2268

@Choppr and @Bdubs advice I did the H2O2 and water flush for my plants.

This is after rinsing the roots in H2O2 water 1:4 ratio. I rinsed for about 45 min.
IMG 2269

Should I cut these roots off?
Should I use bleach to circulate the entire system?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
You can lose those roots on a plant this young, not good but they will live. But I would give your nutrient program a look over. I've ran hydro for 20 years and not seen this amount of slime this quickly. There has got to be some light reaching there as well for that volume to grow overnight as well.

Go with a 3 part hydro fertilize program. They will have everything the plant needs, I use Technaflora and there are several other reputable firms.

F/D stands for flood and drain. My plants sit in hydroton w/ rockwool cubes, just like yours. Water is pumped up fills the tray sits for 30 minutes then drains back down. Repeat every 3 hours. Separation of light and water is critical for this method and yours as well.

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

You can lose those roots on a plant this young, not good but they will live. But I would give your nutrient program a look over. I've ran hydro for 20 years and not seen this amount of slime this quickly. There has got to be some light reaching there as well for that volume to grow overnight as well.

Go with a 3 part hydro fertilize program. They will have everything the plant needs, I use Technaflora and there are several other reputable firms.

F/D stands for flood and drain. My plants sit in hydroton w/ rockwool cubes, just like yours. Water is pumped up fills the tray sits for 30 minutes then drains back down. Repeat every 3 hours. Separation of light and water is critical for this method and yours as well.
Thanks for the explanation.
I filled the empty net pots with clay pebbles and the lid fits perfectly. I’m not sure what else it could be if light is infiltrating.

I just cleaned the reservoir with food safe H2O2 and then followed it up with a thorough bleach soak and circulate. Everything looks very clean, but I know that means shit. I hope I got it all this time. I’m thinking the bleach would kill anything organic if it marinates long enough.

We shall see!

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

Folks tend to look at bleach as a last ditch effort. You were there bro now keep it clean. If I have an issue I run an ounce of Dr Zyme per 20 gallon. Keeps things nice and clean
Why is a bleach a last ditch effort if I remove my plants?

I pruned the roots from the big one. I’m going to let them chill in RO water without any nutrients until 24hrs. Then I’ll introduce nutes slowly. See that crap on the surface? That was after the roots being dunked in H2O2 solution. Gross. And no, I didn’t dunk it in that nasty ass blue bucket. Gross.
IMG 2275

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

Good morning! Here’s my setup. I used foil tape on both sides of the res lid to block out any light. I raised the led to 24 inches.

I can see the top leafs starting to yellow. I’m going to stay the course and add nutes tonight, 24 hours after the the cleansing/sterilizing, and adding 45ml of H2O2 to 15 gallons of RO.

Ec .01
PPM 40
Ph is 7.1
Water temp 66*F
RH 65% lights on and 50% lights off.

Gonna buy silica, and keep using these lotus nutes for now.
IMG 2282

IMG 2281

Valeria
IMG 2280

La Grita
IMG 2279

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

60 hours later and there is still no sign of algae.
Water temp 65-68*F
Rh 50-65% night vs day

EC 1
PH 5.8
PPM 500

I’m trying to be positive, but it doesn’t look good for my plants.

Their leaves are crispy and the discoloration is spreading.

La Grita
IMG 2295
IMG 2296
IMG 2297

Valeria
IMG 2293
IMG 2294

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

I don’t think my ladies are going to make it. The leaves continue to burn up. 24hrs prior to this photo, this top leaf was green throughout.
IMG 2305

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
just to follow up On the Southern Ag GFF Product - its got a 1:20 mix ratio, so 1ml to 20ml and then you use 1ml of that mix per gal - I use 5gal buckets for my plants, so ill mix up a 3 gal nutrient solution when I do a full water change ("mix and pH 1st" so your not dumping acids on your microbes) then I just add 1 ml straight out of the bottle to my 3 gal solution, I dont go thru the 1:20 mix. Haven't seen root rot in 6-7 years, no chillers and water temps are always around 70-71F. (pic is a current wk 8 auto flower "gummi bears" Atlas Seeds) #vivosun
I love atlas seeds

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

Are they getting too much water?
Im not sure. I’m not top feeding anymore and the water is 2” below the cups. The air stones are at 50% capacity and there’s plenty of bubble. The roots don’t look good still.
I haven’t given up, I’ll keep trying to revive these babies.

G

GetBiZzy

Im not sure. I’m not top feeding anymore and the water is 2” below the cups. The air stones are at 50% capacity and there’s plenty of bubble. The roots don’t look good still.
I haven’t given up, I’ll keep trying to revive these babies.
I had something similar and used stop rot.. I left it in the system for about 3 days and then done a complete clean out and half nutrients which was actually 1/8 nutrients as i was growing Autos .. and everything is booming now but i'm definitely going to miss out on a bit of yield .. Rot Stop is a fungicide .. I'm not sure if you have used any or where you are but i'm in Australia but i'm sure you can get it anywhere !
I also think my PH was way to high as the water was warm .. i also got a water cooler. 5.8ph is what I'm running now and it's good.

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

I had something similar and used stop rot.. I left it in the system for about 3 days and then done a complete clean out and half nutrients which was actually 1/8 nutrients as i was growing Autos .. and everything is booming now but i'm definitely going to miss out on a bit of yield .. Rot Stop is a fungicide .. I'm not sure if you have used any or where you are but i'm in Australia but i'm sure you can get it anywhere !
I also think my PH was way to high as the water was warm .. i also got a water cooler. 5.8ph is what I'm running now and it's good.
right on. Appreciate you chiming in.

Check this out. I was just inspecting to trim off dead leaves and I removed the cover for my net pots and found MOTHERFUCKING mold. These ladies are done. I take full responsibility as their death is now on my conscience forever. Lmao. I’m dramatic this morning. Must be the Gary Payton/blackberry hybrid. Hahaha
IMG 2311

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

Even after sterilizing everything with bleach and flushing my ladies with H2O2 and even drenching their rockwool into a quite strong solution didn’t stop the algae and mold.
This lesson is learned.
IMG 2316

IMG 2318

PeregrineRefuge8281

PeregrineRefuge8281

The picture of the reservoir is not out of focus. There is a distinct clear and brown slime at the bottom and floating around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom