Growing Cannabis in the Mojave Desert with Clay Pot Irrigation

• Thread starter hippofarms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hippofarms

Hope you guys are having a groovy day and what not. Wanted to share my experience using clay ollas / pots as a way to water my cannabis plants in the Mojave desert. I have access to couple acres of undeveloped desert and have been experimenting with a few ideas to get something going out there (a earth-ship would be sweet!). After looking into some different desert farming techniques I came across clay pots as a way of "drip-irrigation".

I'm always taking clones of my plants and decided to choose 3 lucky ladies and 1 stud to risk their lives for the name of science! I amended the native soil with some compost and good soil, then added the clay pots (with the bottom holes plugged of course), and added the lids. The first couple days after transplant I gave some TLC to help them get situated, but after that, I filled up the clay pots with water and let them rip! I would come back to visit them once every 5-6 days to replenish the water and see the damage... To my suprise they were loving life! I threw them outside during flowering period, so they didnt ever get too big to contain. In the end I got a bunch of seeds and some really good bud! (Given the fact it was outdoor and we legit have haboobs/dust storms and what not here).

To sum it up, i grew 4 cannabis plants to maturity in the Mojave Desert with no shade, replenishing the clay pot once a week, and harvested successfully. Now is there a better way to do this? DEFINITLY! I wanted to share this with yall to get the word out that this is possible and with some minor adjustments, a lot can be done! Ill link some videos I made regarding the plants and some links to some edu / science sites about Clay Olla Gardening. Ive learned a lot from you guys on this site and this is my first post, appreciate you!

Growing cannabis in the Mojave Desert with Clay Ollas!

Mohave Desert Cannabis Pt2 Day 44

Irrigating with Ollas

Buried clay pot irrigation: a little known but very efficient traditional method of irrigation

Z

Zill

Hippo,

Those clays jugs take up lots of room in the garden, no?

H

hippofarms

Hippo,

Those clays jugs take up lots of room in the garden, no?
there is someone on reddit ive seen, ZillaGrowery, he grows with big 100gallon no-till with a giant clay olla in the middle, and does it indoors in a tent lol. As for me, since im growing outdoors, space isnt as big of an issue!

Latest posts

Top Bottom