My first outdoor grow, some preliminary questions

• Thread starter 333Matt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

333Matt

Hi All! First post here, and planning a first outdoor grow in central Ohio.

My already-obtained femininzed autoflower seeds:

Wedding Cake
White Widow
Grandaddy Purple

Plans:

Paper towel germination
- should I get a heat source, and if so, what?

Start in: peat pots

Misc. questions:
  1. How many seeds should I attempt to germinate and plants to grow?
  2. What's a good soil to start in? I have a bag of FoxFarm Ocean Forest that's been sitting around, opened, for YEARS. I've read that it's probably way too nutrient-rich from 'cooking' for so long.
  3. Is there any advantage in getting the seedlings going indoors for a while? What's the minimum I can get away with, light-wise? Can I use my regular old 4' fluorescent fixtures?
  4. I'll transfer to larger containers when the time comes. How do I recognize that time? What size containers will I need? Can I use the old Ocean Forest soil at that time?
  5. The reason I'll be using containers rather than ground is - besides having more control - I want to be able to hide them from potential company. On a related note, what are some recommended methods to protect them from pests and kids? In Ohio, growing is legal, but it's supposed to be "secured" - recommendations?
  6. What about general concealment from neighbors? I was thinking they need to be in away from walls, etc. to get full sun - correct? I'd like to think I can install privacy fence on the 2 sides of the yard that need it (behind-neighbor has one on their property already), but that may not happen in time.
  7. Timing? I was thinking of having them outside June 1 based on the timeframes mentioned in the above seed links and for maximum sun and avoiding potential cold snaps. My neighbor, with some experience in this matter, was urging me to get them going now for some reason.
Any thoughts are appreciated, not least of which is anything I haven't asked which needs to be taken into consideration at this time. Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello and welcome. You won't need a heat mat. It's pretty early. Start the seed some place warm the last week of May so they are ready to go in the big pot June first. Don't transplant. The weather will be warm enough and the plant will blast off and grow if you don't drown it. I'm just across the St Clair River buy Sarnia. This is how I time outdoor autos. You should be harvesting the 2nd week of September.

I like 5 gallon pots for Autos outdoors but also like 15 gallon pots. 15 gallon pots require a lot of effort to move around.
Not a fan of Ocean Forest. I'd suggest anything but. Consider 1/3 Black Earth. 1/3 Peat Moss / 1/3 Vermiculite. A couple of cups of castings.
40 Grams of Dolomite lime per gallon of medium.
10 Grams of Gypsum per gallon of medium.

This will give you a nice start. A little compost tea made with Alaska and Muskie fish fertilizers will get them off to a great start. You can use hardware store compost if you don't have a pile.
Maybe super charge the pot with some microbe mix and Molasses once a week before planting.
It does not have to be fancy I just mix everything together and run it threw a strainer at the end.
You can make a gallon or a bucket full it's super easy. Just water the pots with it once a week 3 or 4 times if you can before planting.

Grow like a viking.

Compost tea " Boosted with equal parts of Muskie 5-1-1 and Alaska 0-10-10 and they will be great.

If your growing in soil it's important that you mix in bone meal now so it has a head start.

Last edited:
Stokes

Stokes

Wedding Cake
White Widow
Grandaddy Purple

Plans:

Paper towel germination

Misc. questions:
  2. What's a good soil to start in? I have a bag of FoxFarm Ocean Forest that's been sitting around, opened, for YEARS. I've read that it's probably way too nutrient-rich from 'cooking' for so long.
  3. Is there any advantage in getting the seedlings going indoors for a while? What's the minimum I can get away with, light-wise? Can I use my regular old 4' fluorescent fixtures?
  4. I'll transfer to larger containers when the time comes. How do I recognize that time? What size containers will I need? Can I use the old Ocean Forest soil at that time?
  5. The reason I'll be using containers rather than ground is - besides having more control - I want to be able to hide them from potential company. On a related note, what are some recommended methods to protect them from pests and kids? In Ohio, growing is legal, but it's supposed to be "secured" - recommendations?
  6. What about general concealment from neighbors? I was thinking they need to be in away from walls, etc. to get full sun - correct? I'd like to think I can install privacy fence on the 2 sides of the yard that need it (behind-neighbor has one on their property already), but that may not happen in time.
  7. Timing? I was thinking of having them outside June 1 based on the timeframes mentioned in the above seed links and for maximum sun and avoiding potential cold snaps. My neighbor, with some experience in this matter, was urging me to get them going now for some reason.
Any thoughts are appreciated, not least of which is anything I haven't asked which needs to be taken into consideration at this time. Thanks in advance!

Welcome, those are great strains. Wedding cake is a personal favorite of mine. Under appreciated medical strain imo, great body high, reduces my anxiety. Can help with pain. Takes masturbation to a whole different level.
I dont need the wife anymore.

1. Id start off with 1 of each. I put mine in water until i see a verified pop. Only takes 24-48 hours.

2. Ocean forest is solid. Its not hot. Whether to use that bag depends. If it dried out, it didnt cook. Microbes were dormant and/or dead. Keep in mind bugs could have infested it. Bad bacteria and fungus could have contaminated it. I’d start with a fresh bag, especially if your seeds were pricey.

3. There is every reason to start inside. You want them big enough to withstand strong winds, rain, and bugs. A single large bug can devistate a seedling. You dont need much light for seedlings and veg. I started my first grow with a shop light. You can get cheap lights on amazon for like $20-$30. Just to start and early veg tho

4. I absolutely transplant. Gets the plant going with a strong healthy root ball. I start off in solo cups, and transplant to either a 1 or 2 gallon container when the leaves just start to hang over the side. How many times you transplant is up to you. Being that you’re going outside theres no point in transplanting more than 1 time unless you start early and want to grow a monster outdoors.

I dont conceal from neighbors. They dont like me anyways. Keep your plants off a wall, you want to maximize sunlight. A small barrier isnt a bad idea, it can act as a wind blocker for small plants.

Outdoors is a different animal. Its very rewarding. Just know that youre at mother natures mercy. She can take them at any time. When your plant starts getting big, make sure you support it. Wind and rain snaps heavy branches. Expect it. Sometimes you can mend them, sometimes you cant. When they get big theyre very resilient tho. Sometimes you’ll come home and theyll be face down in the mud. Prop them back up and the next day theyll act liek nothing ever happened. June 1 is a good date, alot of people start early with cooked plants and they try to flower in may, and are ugly all year because they reveg. You also dont have to worry about frosts

Last edited:
budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

hey man there is 1 rule to growing outdoors that you have to remember and that 1 rule is DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR PLANTS

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

my outdoor grow 8 days from sprout gorilla cookie auto
IMG 20240507 172501719
IMG 20240507 172506205
IMG 20240507 172509940
IMG 20240507 172518802
IMG 20240507 172527140

Beazy

Beazy

Ive never grown an auto but I thought you were supposed to start them right in their final pot no transplants ?? Love the outdoor thread every year so I’ll be watching. Best of luck with em I hope they treat ya right

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

That's the beauty of an open forum like this. You get plenty of opinions. I don't have any problem starting Autos in small pots then transplanting. It works well if you don't leave them in the small pots long. It's pretty much what the grower is comfortable with.

B

Budtirement

What about general concealment from neighbors?
Yes, what about concealment. I'm in Virginia in the suburbs, legal but with conditions. 4 plant limit. We all have 2 story houses so no matter what I do they are going to see it. I'm open with my neighbors about it if they ask. None of them use cannabis but none of them have objected to my using it. One is active military so they keep their distance. One came over when the plants were in full flower last year and seemed impressed. The VA laws say that a grow is cool if it cannot be seen from a public street and identified by the unaided eye. I let the ornamentals along the fence grow to block the view from the street. Grow must be protected from kids but it doesn't specify what that means. It's not a criminal offense, it's a fine. There are no children living in any adjoining property, the yard has a 4 foot fence and there hasn't been an issue.

So, I would find and read Ohio's laws on the subject so you can stay legal and keep any anxiety in check. If you have the legal right to grow it in your yard then it's nobody else's business, right?

Beyond all that, the best place for me to grow is in the middle of the yard where it gets the most sun and the most air. That air movement is very important to work against issues like mold and bud rot but it also might need some support from storm winds.

I grow photo periods. I germinate in a shot glass of water and when I see the tails I pour the glass into the prepared ground. I plant in the ground shortly after May 1st, which is the frost free date in my zone. That gives about 6 months till harvest for photos so I don't see a need to start early inside and transplant. In 6 months, with the sun as the engine, they get big.

It's an amazing feeling to stand next to a six foot cannabis plant in full bloom and to see and smell and touch those flowers. It's an impressive species. It should be in the National Arboretum so people can see it and be amazed.

Grow your 4 Virginia!

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter

Wedding Cake
White Widow
Grandaddy Purple

Plans:

Paper towel germination

Misc. questions:
Your soil is fine, ocean forest is a little hot for seedlings though. It hasn't been cooking if it's just sitting there it's dried out is about all that happened. Moisture is required for microbial activity.

Stokes

Stokes

That's the beauty of an open forum like this. You get plenty of opinions. I don't have any problem starting Autos in small pots then transplanting. It works well if you don't leave them in the small pots long. It's pretty much what the grower is comfortable with.

Im sorry, missed that they were autos. I do not recommend transplanting autos. Start in final container.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Ive never grown an auto but I thought you were supposed to start them right in their final pot no transplants ??
I've also never grown them. My impression is because they grow so fast, there isn't much time to recover from problems. The potential stress of transplant shock is probably why it's best not to transplant autos.

Stokes

Stokes

I've also never grown them. My impression is because they grow so fast, there isn't much time to recover from problems. The potential stress of transplant shock is probably why it's best not to transplant autos.

Pretty much. The problem is that right about the time that autos are big enough for transplant is right around the time they could possibly start flowering. I usually anticipate flowering between days 18-21, but ive seen them grown by other people start flowering at 14 days.

I see no benefit to it. Too much risk. I know good growers that transplant them regularly, i just dont see the point. Is it possible? Absolutely. Practical for a new grower who probably hasn’t transplanted yet? LoL no way

Galgrows

Galgrows

I have always transplanted my autos from small cups to final pot but if you treat them rough have fumble fingers yes they will hate you.
But like most are telling you just put the sprout in it's final pot till you get more experienced with transplanting. Shit it's like planting nursery plants now for me nothing too it. Put them in at least 3gal pots and you'll have to really watch the bugs. Mine are all over 10days old now so yes start them ASAP if you plan to harvest before end of Sept. My photoperiods are 6 wk old clones i've taken off my indoor slurricane and blueberry muffins. There hardening off outdoors now, i bring them indoors cause night temps are still too low but by this time next week it will be great weather. PS I have a greenhouse also so it helps. I'm pretty serious about my grows and did lots of plannings over the years i can't afford to F-up my grows.

20200913 082502
IMG 20210912 095434753 HDR  super
IMG 20210831 101742152 HDR  GG
IMG 20220926 135352257 HDR
IMG 20230926 073835940

Latest posts

Top Bottom