pH level of water Vs soil

• Thread starter frostybudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
frostybudz

frostybudz

I have pH down and I can get my PH of water bang on 6,but my soil still says it's 7/7.5 I have googled and googled and I can't get straight answer 😞

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have pH down and I can get my PH of water bang on 6,but my soil still says it's 7/7.5 I have googled and googled and I can't get straight answer 😞
How are you testing the pH of your soil? Are you doing a slurry test? Are you using a colorimetric (chemical) test or an electronic pH meter?

Are you using organic growing methods? Soil pH mostly matters when using synthetic nutrients.

It's possible adding acidic substances to the soil could lower the pH, but you're already doing that by reducing the pH of the water. So, whatever is increasing the pH might do the same for whatever is added. If it were me, I'd want to know what is in the soil that is increasing the pH. Dolomite lime that is commonly used to "sweeten" garden soil, for example, increases pH. Thus, what soil or soil mix are you using?

frostybudz

frostybudz

How are you testing the pH of your soil? Are you doing a slurry test? Are you using a colorimetric (chemical) test or an electronic pH meter?

Are you using organic growing methods? Soil pH mostly matters when using synthetic nutrients.

It's possible adding acidic substances to the soil could lower the pH, but you're already doing that by reducing the pH of the water. So, whatever is increasing the pH might do the same for whatever is added. If it were me, I'd want to know what is in the soil that is increasing the pH. Dolomite lime that is commonly used to "sweeten" garden soil, for example, increases pH. Thus, what soil or soil mix are you using?
I have a meter for testing soil I'm using bio bizz all mix but I am using shogun feeds in the water

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have a meter for testing soil I'm using bio bizz all mix but I am using shogun feeds in the water
Is that meter the type that has a probe that's pushed into the soil? I tend to doubt their accuracy.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Bio Bizz. A quick trip to their website has me thinking they mostly sell organic nutrients. Those don't depend on an acidic pH as much as synthetic nutrients do, so many organic growers don't adjust the pH at all. I don't. My water pH always tests about 7.6.

The best test is how the plants are doing. Are they growing well?

frostybudz

frostybudz

Is that meter the type that has a probe that's pushed into the soil? I tend to doubt their accuracy.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Bio Bizz. A quick trip to their website has me thinking they mostly sell organic nutrients. Those don't depend on an acidic pH as much as synthetic nutrients do, so many organic growers don't adjust the pH at all. I don't. My water pH always tests about 7.6.

The best test is how the plants are doing. Are they growing well?

frostybudz

frostybudz

Yes it is a probe it could be a point or 2 out but when I first started a year ago i wasn't really concerned about pH I just wanted get them growing but now I'm advancing but the soil meter hasn't changed reading from a year ago and I have dipped it in water after I have PHed it and it's about right

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I prefer a slurry test. A quick Google search for how to do it can be helpful, but it's easy. Basically, mix some soil in water with a pH of 7.0. Mix it up and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Make sure the temperature is about the same as the soil your plants are growing in. (Temperature can affect pH.) I just let a small beaker of water sit in my tent for a while. A colorimetric test can be bought for about $10, but you could try it with your meter, too. The scientist in me would want to compare the two.

Your plant looks healthy to me, but my eyesight is weak, so I have trouble seeing pictures. I can see you're doing LST. Most growers I know advise not letting the leaves touch the soil.

frostybudz

frostybudz

Yes it is a probe it could be a point or 2 out but when I first started a year ago i wasn't really concerned about pH I just wanted get them growing but now I'm advancing but the soil meter hasn't changed reading from a year ago and I have dipped it in water after I have PHed it and i

I prefer a slurry test. A quick Google search for how to do it can be helpful, but it's easy. Basically, mix some soil in water with a pH of 7.0. Mix it up and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Make sure the temperature is about the same as the soil your plants are growing in. (Temperature can affect pH.) I just let a small beaker of water sit in my tent for a while. A colorimetric test can be bought for about $10, but you could try it with your meter, too. The scientist in me would want to compare the two.

Your plant looks healthy to me, but my eyesight is weak, so I have trouble seeing pictures. I can see you're doing LST. Most growers I know advise not letting the leaves touch the soil.
I'll have a read up on it thanks and the curiosity in me would make me compare both I topped it about twice so it just growing bushy not tall lol

Top Bottom