question regarding ozone generators

• Thread starter t2am
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

t2am

i recently purchased a ozone generator that uses a 17 watt Phillips bulb and covers up to 6000 cubic feet i plan on using it to catch runoff smells from my grow room. the generator will be placed in the attic (where i vent to)

My question is how often should i set my timer to turn the generator on and off?

thank you

P

ProGroWannabe

You'll have to run tests to see how much is just enough to kill he odors your making. On my homemade one, I run it for 15mins on/45 mins off. But yours may be way stronger.....mine uses a neon transformer shooting through glass to create ozone as opposed to a bulb like yours. I'm sure yours is more efficient.

T

t2am

the plants are only a week and a half into flowering and with my vents haven't had runoff smells yet, I guess ill just wait a few more days and then do some testing thanks pgw

B

BITYmagicBeanz

yeh progro is right depends on the strain and smell.. i run mine for atleast half the hours the lights are on.. in 18-6 its on for about hours.off n on. then 12-12 is on for about 4-5hours. run it soon as the lights come on tho. to get rid of that linger smell. then every half hour. or every 15mins too the hour should be enough

T

Tater

Get some test strips for it and make sure it is within safe levels. Ozone can poison you so care should be taken. Also ozone only has a half life of 30 minutes, so in plain english an ozone molecule will only last for thirty minutes (give or take) before it breaks down and becomes useless for your purposes. So you will need to run it at least every thirty mintues. Depending on your sq footage you may only need to run it for 5-10 minutes to achieve the .04 to .05 level that has been declared safe for humans. On the other hand the higher the concentration the more toxic it becomes to mold and fungus and what not so higher levels are ok as long as YOU aren't being exposed to them. Ozone also naturally occurs at much higher levels than the .04 put forward by health Canada as the safety standard. In populated urban centers ozone can reach levels of 0.12.

Experiment and be safe, buy a respirator if you can afford one or at least turn it off for 45 minutes before entering the room its in.

T

Tater

Oh yeah I should also mention that ozone in high enough concentrations can harm your plants, it needs to be pretty darn high though and it will show up as rust spots on the leaves and can easily be confused with nutrient burn or lockout. But your's is in the attic so you should be golden.

Top Bottom