So overwhelmed, I need a mentor! :)

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Are you growing indoors or outdoors?
I will be growing indoors. I posted photos of the tent 👍

@WickedMichelle - Do you plan to use fabric pots? I use 5-gallon fabric.
Yes, 4, 5 gallon bags came with my tent. The photo I posted are my starter pots

Are these any good?
This was recommended: Flora Series nutrients plus CALiMAGic, but thinking it might be better to stay with the same company. Maybe things are different in the soil world, but with, for example, shampoo and conditioner. You stay with the same brand as the chemicals are formulated to work together. It would be logical that FoxFarms would formulate their nutrients to work with their soil.

Thoughts.... 🤔

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Are these any good?
This was recommended: Flora Series nutrients plus CALiMAGic, but thinking it might be better to stay with the same company. Maybe things are different in the soil world, but with, for example, shampoo and conditioner. You stay with the same brand as the chemicals are formulated to work together. It would be logical that FoxFarms would formulate their nutrients to work with their soil.

Thoughts.... 🤔
I believe they're synthetic nutrients and probably made from petrochemicals. They're liquid and added to the water. I bought 10ml glass pipette droppers to get the dose right and make mixing easier. Dosage is important and nutrient burn can be a problem. I believe it's recommended to use 1/4 or 1/2 the dose on the Fox Farm chart.

I used them for my first grow and eventually stopped using synthetic nutrients in favor of Gaia Green dry organic nutrients. I had trouble with synthetics, but growers who use them seem to like them. Synthetic nutrients are used directly by the plant, which means the pH of the growing medium is important. There's an optimal pH of 6.5 needed for the plant's uptake of nutrients they need. There are charts of soil pH range for various nutrients.

That's about all I think I know.

Newty

Newty

Are these any good?

Thoughts.... 🤔
Staying within the same brand for nutrients and soil is definitely not a normal practice.
I would Fox Farm nutrients is one of the less talked about compared to other companies, their soil though is definitely one of the most talked about though.
There's tons of nutrient companies that don't make any soil or medium and specialize in only nutrients, General Hydroponics/General Organics is one of those companies.

The basic and necessary nutrients will have the NPK you need for growing.

Why do the bottom of my and other people posts say "As a Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases"?

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

There's tons of nutrient companies that don't make any soil or medium and specialize in only nutrients, General Hydroponics/General Organics is one of those companies.
Ok, these are by that company and also recommended here more than once 👍

Why do the bottom of my and other people posts say "As a Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases"?
So if you purchase anything at Amazon through this site they make a commission. It's a way to support the site 👍

P

Phyto

I will be growing indoors. I posted photos of the tent 👍

Yes, 4, 5 gallon bags came with my tent. The photo I posted are my starter pots

Are these any good?

Thoughts.... 🤔
Those nutes will work fine, I used them for years, but know that they are synthetic, not organic. So the ph must be adjusted to the 6.0-6.4 range range before watering. They also have a tendency to build up salts in the soil, nececessitating a flush about of just after flip. . I would encourage a more simple two part organic regime.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

So the ph must be adjusted to the 6.0-6.4 range range before watering.
Of the water or soil? If soil... how?

They also have a tendency to build up salts in the soil, nececessitating a flush about of just after flip
How do I flush? What is Flip?

I would encourage a more simple two part organic regime.
Such as? Keep in mind I do not really know this. I am looking to keep it fairly simple. Plant and water with as little other effort. I prefer organic but also prefer ease and I need to keep supplies to a min. I have a small apartment with no real extra storage. 😁

Stokes

Stokes

Such as? Keep in mind I do not really know this. I am looking to keep it fairly simple. Plant and water with as little other effort. I prefer organic but also prefer ease and I need to keep supplies to a min. I have a small apartment with no real extra storage. 😁

If simplicity is what youre looking for i would recommend the roots organic line. Macros and micros are covered , also contains microbial inoculants. You can top dress with it or add it to water. Used gaia green and DtE exclusively for a while, but these are a more complete amendment and ive noticed the plants start to feed probably 3-4 days sooner because of the finer powder.

IMG 9176

P

Phyto

With synthetic nutes you PH the nute solution after all the nutes have been added. Add the cal-mag first, let it sit for a few minutes, then add your remaining liquid nutes, let it sit for a few minutes, then PH the solution to 6.0-6.4, don't mess with the PH of the soil (Fox Farms Ocean Forest is the correct PH and is buffered)

When flushing to remove built up salts you pour three times the volume of the pot in water through the soil, that will clear all the salts, then once it dries back, you start feeding normally again.

Flip is when you change the light schedule from 18/6 or 20/4 to 12/12, to start the flowering process.

O

Organic13

Posts like these are exactly why i made my tutorial. To show not just what to do, but why, so you can use your own judgement to problem solve your particular issues. :) The first 2 modules are here on YouTube:
I am trying to find you on YouTube, but you aren't coming up for me. Is your channel under a different name. Mr. Cannabis or Mr. Cannabis Explains is directing me to Mr. Canucks Grows. Is this you?

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Im not trying to step on anyones toes. It is true that for the vast majority of people the living soil environment will regulate itself, but if microbes self adjusted everything then you could plant a blueberry bush in alkaline soil and have amazing fruit every year without maintenance
[/QUOTE
Those nutes will work fine, I used them for years, but know that they are synthetic, not organic. So the ph must be adjusted to the 6.0-6.4 range range before watering. They also have a tendency to build up salts in the soil, nececessitating a flush about of just after flip. . I would encourage a more simple two part organic regime.
Big bloom is omri
That’s the only one though.
Nb nutes, they really need to change the attached schedule so new growers wouldn’t have to learn the 1/2 dose bs the hard way.

P

Phyto

True, Big Bloom is organic, but as far as nutes go it's a desert, NPK, 0.0, 0.5, 0.7. Though it does have some other goodies in it.

Newty

Newty

Ok, these are by that company and also recommended here more than once 👍

So if you purchase anything at Amazon through this site they make a commission. It's a way to support the site 👍
Yep, go with whatever nutrients you want. I can only give you recommendations based off my experience, as others are doing so ultimately your choice.

Also you do not need to ph your water with synthetic nutrients when growing in soil, I use synthetic nutes and have never owned a ph pen.

Also flushing is bro science, I never flush and my plants stay green till harvest.

I'm all for supporting the website but in the months I've been here(I'm here everyday) this is the first I seen the Amazon message at the bottom of posts so it caught me off guard and thought it was sketchy and a baiting situation, that's why I asked.

P

Phyto

Yep, go with whatever nutrients you want. I can only give you recommendations based off my experience, as others are doing so ultimately your choice.

Also you do not need to ph your water with synthetic nutrients when growing in soil, I use synthetic nutes and have never owned a ph pen.

Also flushing is bro science, I never flush and my plants stay green till harvest.

I'm all for supporting the website but in the months I've been here(I'm here everyday) this is the first I seen the Amazon message at the bottom of posts so it caught me off guard and thought it was sketchy and a baiting situation, that's why I asked.
I disagree, flushing to remove built up salts from syntheitc nutes is real and often (not always) necessary. Now, flushing a plant at the end of flowering to somehow "remove nutrients from the plants and make it less harsh" is total BS. There have been some scientific studies that have found no discernable difference between an unflushed plant and a 10 day flushed plant, and in fact, in blind taste tests the unflushed bud was preferred.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
It may not be necessary, but the important point is there are pH values at which plants can better uptake synthetic nutrients. There are numerous charts on the web that illustrate it. I saw this one recently. It shows there's a "sweet spot" for soil at a pH of 6.5. Commercial soils usually are buffered, which reduces the need for pH adjustment. Things can go wrong, though, so it can be helpful to know about pH values and nutrient availability.

Newty

Newty

I disagree, flushing to remove built up salts from syntheitc nutes is real and often (not always) necessary. Now, flushing a plant at the end of flowering to somehow "remove nutrients from the plants and make it less harsh" is total BS. There have been some scientific studies that have found no discernable difference between an unflushed plant and a 10 day flushed plant, and in fact, in blind taste tests the unflushed bud was preferred.
Agreed 👍 Flushing toward harvest is what I was saying, I should of been more clear.

When I first started growing and was using fabric pots, you could see the salt build up on the fabric pots and that's when I started flushing during the grow.

Newty

Newty

It may not be necessary, but the important point is there are pH values at which plants can better uptake synthetic nutrients. There are numerous charts on the web that illustrate it. I saw this one recently. It shows there's a "sweet spot" for soil at a pH of 6.5. Commercial soils usually are buffered, which reduces the need for pH adjustment. Things can go wrong, though, so it can be helpful to know about pH values and nutrient availability.

View attachment 2175281
I appreciate the info, saved that chart also.

I guess what I would say as far as measuring ph, I've not seen a reason to test it but I've always been curious.
If I ever have an issue and can't pinpoint it, I would definitely give ph a look. I've seen people correct issues by adjusting ph so I know there's some value in it. If you're growing in decent soil and water from the tap is drinkable, I don't see the need to add the expense of a ph pen right away.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Sad thing is, I don't know what I want. I was hoping for a little more clarification with this thread but I think I am more confused than before I started. 😱 I did learn about flushing and flipping with certainty LMAO.

This is new. I just noticed it recently as well. Through me for a loop as also.

With synthetic nutes you PH the nute solution after all the nutes have been added.
How do you change the Ph of the solution once mixed?

If simplicity is what youre looking for i would recommend the roots organic line.
I like simple... for the line, what would you suggest in that line? All I know is I need nutrients... I do not know what nutrients. There are so many out there and they all do different things. I assume I need one to aid in the vegetation process and the flowering process. It seems that there is more needed than just those two things.

I do not know why this is so hard for me.... but I cannot figure out what it is I actually need. I am leaning toward this, Flora Series nutrients plus CALiMAGic, because it is a complete line all in one package. I cannot say I like that it is synthetic, but this is the simplicity I am looking for.

I need clear direction, "here, try this, this and this, it works great". 🤣

Starting something new is so awkward. 😞

Latest posts

Top Bottom