Beginner questions on Living Soil: Large beds or individual pots (which size) for indoor growing?

• Thread starter Nerdlicht
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nerdlicht

Nerdlicht

Hello everyone! :)

I'm planning to start my first grow soon and have decided to go with Living Soil. Mainly because everything I've read about it seems quite beginner-friendly. As far as I understand, I pretty much don't need to worry about adding fertilizers, the pH of the water, etc., and just need to give tap water from the growth phase to the flowering phase.

However, I still have a few questions and hope that some people here have experience with it and can answer them for me:

I plan to use "FLO" or "Dope Soil" (the 10% mix) from Florganics, and I've heard/read somewhere (can't find the source anymore) that large pots or even whole beds are preferable (with several plants) because the fluctuations in nutrient concentration are smaller in these.

There should never be more than 2 to 3 plants in a 120x60cm tent. What would you advise me at this point? A large bed like this:

https://www.ecothrive.co.uk/catalogue/grassroots-living-soil-beds-basic_187/

..and put all three plants in there? That would consume ~250L of Living Soil and cost about €300.

Or a pot for each plant like this: https://www.ecothrive.co.uk/catalogue/grassroots-living-soil-pots_155/

..and if so, what size?

I'm grateful for any tips! :)

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

You seem to have thought things threw. I'd go 1 measure your tent and use the largest single plant pots you can fit comfortably.
I'd also suggest that you collect and use rain water as it has no chlorine or other chemicals designed to kill your microbial life.
Bone Meal. the mist have add on.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I suggest you do not keep a giant pot of soil indoors; it will attract a lot of bugs and easily turn to wet mud early on.

Nerdlicht

Nerdlicht

Okay, those are unfortunately conflicting pieces of advice. I was hoping someone would be familiar with the Living Soil from Florganics, specifically its composition, which is probably crucial in determining whether and how many additional components need to be added. Until now, I've always heard that additional fertilization really isn't necessary. I haven't heard about using Bone Meal in this context either.

For watering, I would like to use the Blumat drip system. If set up correctly, the Living Soil shouldn't become too wet, right? At this point, I'm just wondering how many of the Blumat "Maxis" I should use. If the pot or even the bed has a lot of volume, they might be necessary, right?

T

TheLostKing

living soil isnt a brand name, its just soil as your medium. sure you can use a drip feed style watering system with soil, it works. use individual pots the indoor garden bed is overrated works better outdoors. oh yeah last but not least, use your brain.

N

Natep

I would strongly suggest using a earth box or a city picker pot. The hardest part of living organics is getting your watering right. These pots are self watering. Also I would check out build a soil. They have a ton of good info and put videos that really explain things well.

Nerdlicht

Nerdlicht

living soil isnt a brand name, its just soil as your medium. sure you can use a drip feed style watering system with soil, it works. use individual pots the indoor garden bed is overrated works better outdoors. oh yeah last but not least, use your brain.

I understand that "Living Soil" is not a brand name, but Florganics is, and they have a product called "Flo" or "Dope Soil," which is a ready-to-use Living Soil that only needs to be activated over 14 days. I am referring specifically to this product in this case.

Just as I referred to the drip system from "Blumat" and had a specific question regarding the use of the "Blumat Maxi."

Thanks for the tip about the brain! :)

I would strongly suggest using a earth box or a city picker pot. The hardest part of living organics is getting your watering right. These pots are self watering. Also I would check out build a soil. They have a ton of good info and put videos that really explain things well.

What are the advantages of an Earthbox/City Picker Pot over a Blumat drip irrigation system, which also operates autonomously?

Is "Build a Soil" also of interest to someone who does not want to build soil because they already purchase pre-mixed soil that only needs to be activated?

N

Natep

I run a 4x4 bed in a 5x5 tent. It works really well. Growing organically is not just using soil. It an entire different way of thinking. Instead of reading plants you are feeding the microbial life in the soil. You will get a lot of wrong advice from guys that grow synthetically (bottled nutrients).

N

Natep

This is not correct. Living soil is just as it says living. It’s is alive with living micro organisms insects worms and a constant mulch layer that is being broken down by these organisms.

N

Natep

Okay, those are unfortunately conflicting pieces of advice. I was hoping someone would be familiar with the Living Soil from Florganics, specifically its composition, which is probably crucial in determining whether and how many additional components need to be added. Until now, I've always heard that additional fertilization really isn't necessary. I haven't heard about using Bone Meal in this context either.

For watering, I would like to use the Blumat drip system. If set up correctly, the Living Soil shouldn't become too wet, right? At this point, I'm just wondering how many of the Blumat "Maxis" I should use. If the pot or even the bed has a lot of volume, they might be necessary, right?
This is correct

T

TheLostKing

This is not correct. Living soil is just as it says living. It’s is alive with living micro organisms insects worms and a constant mulch layer that is being broken down by these organisms.
I think both of you have a misunderstanding. Hes not talking about what you just said, he’s talking about living soil as in a brand that you buy prepackaged. Im not talking about what you said either because Living soil (not the brand type) is just organic soil. If you grow organic your soil is going to be living you dont need to callit living soil its redundant and idiotic, get a microscope on any organic soil grow ( one that doesnt claim itself living soil) and you’ll see microbes. Again I wasnt here to argue semantics, thats what you just did lmao.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Conflicting peaces of advice. Manufacturers make all kinds of clames and they play with words like it's organic.
I can tell you without question that Florganics and any other living soil you buy or create yourself will need to be fed.

Cannabis is a hungry crop!

I don't mess around with bags. It takes me at least 2 years to break down natural ingredients from my kitchen and gardens in a compost bin. Then after mixing the compost with the best black top soil I can locate. I grow and add local microbes in order to lets say super charge the indigenous population of micro life in the soil I will be planting in. Large grow pots I use 15 gallon pots are loaded in the fall of the year before I plant. Then top dressed with cow manor and sprayed with microbe solution. In nature manur is dropped on top of the soil not mixed in.
In the spring of the year the pot is watered well with indigenous microbe solution once a week for 5 weeks before seedlings are planted.

In the early spring, I collect rain water and start a couple of 20 litre buckets of JLF liquid fertilizer for feeding next years potting soil.

Last spring I made 2 buckets of Jajam JLF. Into this went all of the cannabis scraps from 4 large cannabis plants then covered and let liquefy over the winter. Now this is what I call JLF for cannabis. This thick green liquid fertilizer is diluted 50 -1 and feeds the living population of microbes in the living soil threwout the growing season. I add bone meal, wood ash, and many other natural ingredients not mentioned in order to feed the microbes in the soil. The microbes in turn create the nutrients the plant requires.

Like I said. Manufacturers make all kinds of clames but your not going to dump a few bags of this stuff in a pot, turn of a self watering system and pump out cannabis plants. It just does not work like that. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but, if you are so lazy that you cannot pick up a watering can twice a week and need a self watering system to look after 4 plant. Growing cannabis is likely not the hobby for you.

T

TheLostKing

It’s funny cause part of Youngsang’s plight in his book are people in this world that make it more complicated than it needs to be, those that try to create seperate distinctions than what SOIL is, what soil NATURALLY is, and what SOIL is by itself. I don’t think people have even read his book, he doesnt even use the term living soil haha thats for the tiktok kids.

Nerdlicht

Nerdlicht

It’s funny cause part of Youngsang’s plight in his book are people in this world that make it more complicated than it needs to be, those that try to create seperate distinctions than what SOIL is, what soil NATURALLY is, and what SOIL is by itself. I don’t think people have even read his book, he doesnt even use the term living soil haha thats for the tiktok kids.

Okay, I understand that soil is naturally always a "Living Soil," and also that for many, the process of building such (especially fertile) soil is a kind of hobby in itself and they put a lot of love into this process. I also understand that the ideals of "organic growers" differ from the rest.

Conflicting peaces of advice. Manufacturers make all kinds of clames and they play with words like it's organic.
I can tell you without question that Florganics and any other living soil you buy or create yourself will need to be fed.

Like I said. Manufacturers make all kinds of clames but your not going to dump a few bags of this stuff in a pot, turn of a self watering system and pump out cannabis plants. It just does not work like that. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but, if you are so lazy that you cannot pick up a watering can twice a week and need a self watering system to look after 4 plant. Growing cannabis is likely not the hobby for you.

As an absolute beginner, I was clearly convinced by this very promise. The manufacturer with his product is particularly well-known in the German-speaking area and is used by many. It would surprise me if it were all just nonsense.

This is a discription of their product:

FLO is a natural fertilizer with living microorganisms that transforms your substrate into a probiotic medium and optimally supplies your plants with nutrients in all stages of life.

FLO is a complete product range in one component: base fertilizer with macro and micronutrients, natural root, growth, and bloom stimulators, enzymes, silicates, amino acids, enzymes, CalMag, and living microorganisms. No additional products are necessary.

FLO is incredibly easy to use and delivers phenomenal harvests of connoisseur quality. It is mixed just once with soil or coco – all you need then for a successful harvest is water.

With FLO, you can reuse your soil over and over! Simply recycle your used substrates instead of constantly buying new soil. This is not only practical and saves money, but it is also sustainable and contributes to environmental protection.

Of course, we pay attention to quality and regionality when selecting the raw materials for FLO. Additionally, FLO is produced in a company near Munich that has been specializing in the production of organic solid fertilizers for nearly 100 years. At the same time, FLO is continually developed with the latest findings from plant research. This way, we help preserve tradition while also manufacturing a modern fertilizer.

Organic-mineral NPK fertilizer 2-3-2 with lime:
2% Nitrogen rated as total nitrogen
3% Phosphate rated as total P2O5
2% Potash rated as total K2O
Minimum 60% organic matter based on dry mass.
For use in home and small gardens.

Made from plant materials from food, beverage, or feed production, algae, leonardite, animal by-products (Cat. 3, EC Regulation 1069/2009: fish meal, blood meal, meat and bone meal), 6% bat guano, magnesium carbonate lime, calcareous marine algae, epsomite, rock dust (basalt/diabase rock), clay minerals, palm ash, fungi (Trichoderma, Mycorrhiza), and bacteria.

Minor constituents:
2% N Total nitrogen (organically bound)
3% P2O5 Total phosphate
2% K2O Total potassium
2% CaCO2 Total calcium
0.6% MgO Total magnesium
0.5% S Total sulfur

shaganja

shaganja

I like earth boxes. Very user friendly. Easy to make. I used the octopot design. This was topped with rice hulls. My design has a worm feeding tube. That's the one on the left. Worms turn food into castings in 2 months. Is how I feed my earth box, besides top dressing. I feel like the less I have to do, the better!! 🤣
20230919 202218

shaganja

shaganja

Living soil growers like one bed because of the mycelium network. Plants can help each other, and talk to each other. Creates family environment for the plants.

B

Budtirement

One large bed will be like having a terrarium that you take care of and enjoy. But it will be more difficult to move anything if you need to. I mounted my tent on a plywood sheet the same footprint as the tent, with small wheels underneath so I can push it around if I need to get behind or under it. If your using a watering system it could be helpful if there are ever spills.
I think you should be aware that living things of all kinds can get attracted to a successful grow. In the neighborhood around my house here in the suburbs of Wash, DC, there are many types of small lizards. I never paid them much attention until one time there was a profusion of fungus gnats in the tent. Over the course of a few weeks, trying several methods of getting rid of them, I realized that lizards were in the tent living off the free banquet. Ha Ha, pretty little things, how they scurry when I open the tent. And, lizards in the house, how lazy is my cat?

Stokes

Stokes

I grow in both organic soil and coco, for years i would say start with soil because coco seems daunting at first. But i recommend people start with coco, because it shows you the effects of feeding daily, you can recognize deficiencies early and treat them quickly

I dont care what anyone says, organic soil isnt easy mode. If you want to do it and get the most out of your time and energy, you have to understand the role of microbes and see what their effects are on your plants. Proper watering is crucial, and thats something that most beginners struggle with. If you have an insanely large bed that is very difficult to dial in.

If organic soil really interests you i would start simple with coast of maine and something like gaia green. Maybe a little recharge. The dudes in the grow shop are going to try to sell you as much shit as they can. Baby steps

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I know I likely came across as a bit of a dick in my last post. Being that you are new to growing I do care very much that you get information that is going to help you rather than setting you back. This stuff can get pretty expensive in a hurry. As you want an indoor living soil grow. Spend a little time looking into indoor living soil cannabis. You don't need to spend big bucks on fancy amended living soil. Simple Black earth soil is great stuff.

Before you invest a bunch of money take a real good look at Gaia Green to feed what ever living soil you chose during the grow.

Roots Organics Terp Tea is also a great product line.
Hope this helps you.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I like earth boxes. Very user friendly. Easy to make. I used the octopot design. This was topped with rice hulls. My design has a worm feeding tube. That's the one on the left. Worms turn food into castings in 2 months. Is how I feed my earth box, besides top dressing. I feel like the less I have to do, the better!! 🤣 View attachment 2158650
Very nice. I like the rice hulls. They are a great source of Silica.

Top Bottom