Breaking seed dormancy/Old seed germination techniques?

• Thread starter Mega Genesis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mega Genesis

Mega Genesis

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to knock some dust off on this topic to see if anyone has had any success stories out there with germinating older seed.

I am currently in the midst of trying to germinate seed stock of an outdoor run that I did years ago.

I have not had total success but I have noticed slight differences as I’ve tried to do different things during the germination process.

Any feedback is appreciated!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
put seeds into glass of water/peroxide mix around 5% strength for 12 hours, don’t matter if seeds sink or float,..
than plant directly into medium, put into a cloning box/tray with lid off, put tray on seedling heating mat plugged into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off, after a day or two, there maybe some sprouted, if not use dome lid and spray with water to increase humidity, leave dome on for 5-6 hours than take off,.. repeat daily,.. if cups/medium dry out than water with sprayer as to not sink the seed further down in medium,.
let temperature float between 70-85 during this time,..
if seeds haven’t popped in 10 days max than they are garbage or were immature etc

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
the peroxide will do a better and safer job than the sandpaper and also ands oxygen to the water,..
i wouldn’t in a million years use sandpaper than paper towel,..
if anything in what i mentioned above is before soaking put seeds in the freezer for a day or 2 than the fridge for a day than take out and let seeds get to room temperature than do as mentioned in my first post,..

ACSippi

ACSippi

Why no sandpaper/paper towel?

I'm asking because you say it urgently. First thing I thought of is mold maybe being on the old seed?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Why no sandpaper/paper towel?

I'm asking because you say it urgently. First thing I thought of is mold maybe being on the old seed?
sandpaper is used and works but damage can easily be done,. the paper towel is just ridiculous,. too many issues,.. root hairs getting stuck, towel drying out too much or staying too wet, so on and so on,. it’s a method set up for failure, stunted plants, yield and quality can also be affected,.

ACSippi

ACSippi

Ahh okay, I totally agree about the paper towel but even gawd himself can't stop people from using it so I just go with the flow 🤣

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
put seeds into glass of water/peroxide mix around 5% strength for 12 hours, don’t matter if seeds sink or float,..
than plant directly into medium, put into a cloning box/tray with lid off, put tray on seedling heating mat plugged into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off, after a day or two, there maybe some sprouted, if not use dome lid and spray with water to increase humidity, leave dome on for 5-6 hours than take off,.. repeat daily,.. if cups/medium dry out than water with sprayer as to not sink the seed further down in medium,.
let temperature float between 70-85 during this time,..
if seeds haven’t popped in 10 days max than they are garbage or were immature etc
Same method I use right here^ no matter the seeds age

Top Bottom