Calling all experts!

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthegorge

inthegorge

Thanks for the warning Mr. L34F but this is going to be run as a legitimate business like any other business. The Washington Liquor Control Board has pretty strict security requirements including security cameras covering every square inch of the operation all tied to the internet that we can monitor on/off site and sending alarms to all of our cell phones. We have motion detectors and alarm systems. We will have a large dog, either my 115 lb German shepherd or my partners 140 lb rottweiler in the outdoor area 24/7 as well as an 8' privacy fence with razor wire surrounding the outdoor area and we will most likely have someone there 24/7 especially during the outdoor growing season from April to mid October. We have already been in contact with the local law enforcement and expect increased patrols and will have them on speed dial just in case. I am one of 2800 businesses that will be growing legal cannabis. All the addresses are listed on the WA Liquor Control Boards website, nothing is hidden, everything is out in the open. Perhaps I am foolish but I am not afraid of anyone from this board trying to rip us off and in fact I think our security will be adequate to protect our product from theft. There still is a lot of ambiguity in the money that will be changing hands with legal cannabis. So far there are no banks here that will take cash from the sale of legal cannabis but we are hopeful that this particular issue will be resolved before we actually sell anything. If not we won't keep any cash on premises anyway and will have to devise a reasonable way to deal with that before June when we hope to be selling wholesale to retail shops. Believe me....it is not as though we, the other 2800 legal growers or the WA Liquor Control Board has not considered security here. It is ever present in all of our minds and we are working towards suitable controls in this regard. Going forward in fear is not an option however for this 58 year old lady:-)

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
If you can gain access to the grow, so can a criminal. Don't underestimate what criminals will do for $$$, I mean banks have cameras and the cops know where they are but they still are robbed fairly constantly.

inthegorge

inthegorge

100 plants outdoors @ 7lbs a plant is 700 and you won't hit that in WA if your west versus east part of the state, lol
If your math is this on, I expect great things for you!

Oh...we live on the east side:-) One of my partners have been doing outdoor medical grows for the last 5 years over here and getting a solid 7 lb per plant. He doesn't put the plants out until late May or even early June but since we are so close to the Columbia River here we have a very moderate climate as to the cold with a minimum of 2 solid months of over 90 degrees and only 9" of rainfall per year. We can put plants out in late April and no worry of frost until late October or even early November so even though I am counting on 7 lbs per plant I truly believe our yields will be more like 10 lbs or even more especially since we have over 50 strains to figure out what works best outdoors for us in our particular climate:-) I expect great things as well!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
be careful whom you hire to work with you. I know you aren't growing 8500 plants on your own. That is where your biggest security breach will be, with folks whom are cleared...

inthegorge

inthegorge

If you can gain access to the grow, so can a criminal. Don't underestimate what criminals will do for $$$, I mean banks have cameras and the cops know where they are but they still are robbed fairly constantly.

You know.....we could debate how vulnerable we are but we will take all the steps we can to make us as sure as we can be that we are safe. Both of my daughters will be taking shifts at our business and you can be sure I am more concerned about their safety then I am of the plants. We will do the very best we can and again this is something we are constantly thinking about and working on. Nothing is a sure bet in this world but we all still keep on keeping on:-)

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Def will be interesting, I'm curious how all the laws will pan out and affect you. 7000lbs of outdoor seems a bit of a high number though or was that a typo?

inthegorge

inthegorge

be careful whom you hire to work with you. I know you aren't growing 8500 plants on your own. That is where your biggest security breach will be, with folks whom are cleared...

Again thanks for the good advice. For at least the first year we really will not have "employees" but just trusted family members meaning my daughters and their partners. All of us are virtual partners of the business....we all prosper with the business so it would not behoove any of us to steal from ourselves. As we move forward we will most likely have to hire people but I know so many friends that want terribly to be in this business legally and while it is something to definitely consider, I think we can work out that particular aspect fairly well.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
The biggest risk you have is ALL the people knowing since you are legal imo

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Again thanks for the good advice. For at least the first year we really will not have "employees" but just trusted family members meaning my daughters and their partners. All of us are virtual partners of the business....we all prosper with the business so it would not behoove any of us to steal from ourselves. As we move forward we will most likely have to hire people but I know so many friends that want terribly to be in this business legally and while it is something to definitely consider, I think we can work out that particular aspect fairly well.
8500 plants grown by a few is a tough one, best of luck!!

inthegorge

inthegorge

Def will be interesting, I'm curious how all the laws will pan out and affect you. 7000lbs of outdoor seems a bit of a high number though or was that a typo?

If I said 7000 it was a typo...I think I said 700 lbs minimum outdoors.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Thanks for the warning Mr. L34F but this is going to be run as a legitimate business like any other business. The Washington Liquor Control Board has pretty strict security requirements including security cameras covering every square inch of the operation all tied to the internet that we can monitor on/off site and sending alarms to all of our cell phones. We have motion detectors and alarm systems. We will have a large dog, either my 115 lb German shepherd or my partners 140 lb rottweiler in the outdoor area 24/7 as well as an 8' privacy fence with razor wire surrounding the outdoor area and we will most likely have someone there 24/7 especially during the outdoor growing season from April to mid October. We have already been in contact with the local law enforcement and expect increased patrols and will have them on speed dial just in case. I am one of 2800 businesses that will be growing legal cannabis. All the addresses are listed on the WA Liquor Control Boards website, nothing is hidden, everything is out in the open. Perhaps I am foolish but I am not afraid of anyone from this board trying to rip us off and in fact I think our security will be adequate to protect our product from theft. There still is a lot of ambiguity in the money that will be changing hands with legal cannabis. So far there are no banks here that will take cash from the sale of legal cannabis but we are hopeful that this particular issue will be resolved before we actually sell anything. If not we won't keep any cash on premises anyway and will have to devise a reasonable way to deal with that before June when we hope to be selling wholesale to retail shops. Believe me....it is not as though we, the other 2800 legal growers or the WA Liquor Control Board has not considered security here. It is ever present in all of our minds and we are working towards suitable controls in this regard. Going forward in fear is not an option however for this 58 year old lady:)

This is what I feared....Good luck...

Tank333

Tank333

I would LOVE to see someone set up a massive climate controlled greenhouse for an operation of this sort!

I know it would be exorbirantly expensive, but man, the control you could have with that... :D

inthegorge

inthegorge

I would LOVE to see someone set up a massive climate controlled greenhouse for an operation of this sort!

I know it would be exorbirantly expensive, but man, the control you could have with that... :D
This is something we will definitely be looking at moving forward and we almost had to use a greenhouse here with the county moratorium but we got that lifted. Cost for a big enough greenhouse that could handle our winds was just too prohibitive starting out but maybe next year...?

inthegorge

inthegorge

brinks delivering 700lbs of outy lol
Transporting your mega harvests will be like a movie, 2 decoy trucks and the $$ truck...lol

I doubt we will be transporting all at once but your point is well made. The requirements of the LCB here are that first the product has to be in a "quarantine" room for 24 hours prior to transport, the room has to be monitored by cameras so the LCB can "see" it online to and could come and actually inspect it to make sure of volume and that we are not trying to sneak any finished product out of the building....then the vehicle has to be registered with them with a "locked container" that actually bolted to the body of the vehicle for transport. You have to log the time you leave your facility and the time you arrive at the retail outlet. We are actually looking for an armored vehicle to do this with or will have to see what we can do to trick out a van of some sort:-/ Better safe than sorry!

Latest posts

Top Bottom