Colorado...lets Talk

• Thread starter xavier7995
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xavier7995

xavier7995

Howdy, so this state is pretty awesome and there are all sorts of cool things going on all the time, cool places to see, so on and so on. I moved here around a year ago, so am a relative newcomer, and am always on the prowl for interesting and amazing things to see or do, those nuggets of info regarding amazing mountain towns are always appreciated(thanks for moving tips in another thread dudes). I figured this is also a tourist destination so any travel tips could also fall in here.

General tips for visitors: get a smoking room in your hotel. they are pretty strict on outdoor smoking in Denver, no cigs and no mj in particular. You can get a throwaway glass pipe for around 5 bucks, so don't fret on paraphernalia. That said, you see lots of public smoking and its no bigs, however don't be a dick, people blowing clouds in densely populated areas or literally on playgrounds are douches. To find some pretty good weed, just google up the recommended dispensaries and go see what they have, look at a bunch of stuff, buy what you like. Grams or half 8ths are the worst thing going price wise, but it is great to have several different varieties and a good choice if on vacation. Good legal weed is basically what it costs for expensive very good illegal weed, maybe a bit more once tax is included. It is a good idea to take cash with you, many are cash only or have weird atm/debit fees.

Good stuff to do: pick a mountain town and a random route and head up there, same with hiking trails. Quite a few roads are just freaking scenic and have lots of areas to pull over and enjoy nature. the trip there is most of the fun. There are a bunch of hikes that are around a mile long that are fun for families listed out here: http://dayhikesneardenver.com/ If you are visiting you can also check out the city website for "free" days at various museums. They are pretty frequent and many good places are free, but kind of crowded. I mostly do kid oriented stuff so let me know if you need suggestions. In Denver check out colfax or federal blvd for some pretty cheap dive restaurants that are amazingly good, check out reviews first of course, 5 stars to taco mex, also haven't had any bad greek or vietnamese so far.

Anyone know of any funky ghost towns or old mining places? How about some cool events coming up?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Grand Mesa..largest continuous mountain in the world...
Lot's to see and do few if any people.....skeeters are gone..

Underthesun

Underthesun

Getting high and getting high. Take your time, do some exploring, buy detailed local maps (internet is worthless for trails and contours) and you'll find your own special places. Be prepared for the worse if you're out hiking.

Keeping the smoking on the DL is always a good idea, I still do it all over the place...same as 20 years ago and with the same caution just a lot less worry.

If you're in Denver you should take a date up to the Gold Hill Inn for dinner in Gold Hill. Its real old style, great food and still not the well known. This town is like you sepped back 150 years. Cool shit. Go hiking up around Brainard lake and go as high as you want. Picture below. Then eat at Gold Hill.

Coolest ghost town I have been too is Old Tom Boy above Telluride. Its way up there.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Jealous of you guys that can go on long hikes. Mine involve a 3 year old so...about 2 miles is the max at this point. Overnight camping starts up in the spring, so can make it a bit farther:) Black canyon and then a bit to the SW are some primo destinations. It can be kind of crowded, but maxwell falls is a pretty swank hike for little kids or old folks. The falls are not impressive, however there are all sorts of nice places to hang out along/a bit off the trail.

That big waterfall along the road between boulder and nederland....anyone think that will ever open back up. Seems like it has been closed for quite a while based on the internet and doesn't look to be reopening anytime soon. I see lots of disappointed folks everytime i drive by. Do they actually patrol to make sure no one hops the fence?

Underthesun

Underthesun

Pretty busy road there, I wouldn't do it. If you are looking for easy access waterfalls you could hit up Wild Basin at RMNP. Its free now too, the ranger station in that part of the park is closed for the year. Just drive to the end of the road, park and the 1st waterfall is like 100 yards up the trail. There are a few more past that and then more at like 2-3 miles up the trail. Great place right now with the aspens.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Thanks man, will take a look. Got my park pass so I am all set year round. I think I disappointed a ranger last weekend, got sort of lost so was just driving around and went to turn around in a trailhead parking lot, as soon as i stopped in a parking spot this dude popped up out of nowhere tapping on my window demanding 6 bucks. He was not happy I was just turning around...and that i just waved my pass at him.

muir

muir

The Gold Hill Inn is perfect.

Getting high and getting high. Take your time, do some exploring, buy detailed local maps (internet is worthless for trails and contours) and you'll find your own special places. Be prepared for the worse if you're out hiking.

Keeping the smoking on the DL is always a good idea, I still do it all over the place...same as 20 years ago and with the same caution just a lot less worry.

If you're in Denver you should take a date up to the Gold Hill Inn for dinner in Gold Hill. Its real old style, great food and still not the well known. This town is like you sepped back 150 years. Cool shit. Go hiking up around Brainard lake and go as high as you want. Picture below. Then eat at Gold Hill.

Coolest ghost town I have been too is Old Tom Boy above Telluride. Its way up there.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Thanks man, will take a look. Got my park pass so I am all set year round. I think I disappointed a ranger last weekend, got sort of lost so was just driving around and went to turn around in a trailhead parking lot, as soon as i stopped in a parking spot this dude popped up out of nowhere tapping on my window demanding 6 bucks. He was not happy I was just turning around...and that i just waved my pass at him.
I drove across the mesa this weekend and it was glorious. The higher elevations are just starting to turn, driving down towards i25 the aspens go from golden yellow and red to green.

This new layout might be too hip for me.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Well, looks like this new format doesn't mesh well with my ipad. May not see any of me for awhile if it doesn't change. Happy growing.

Edit: I just reloaded. All is good, stoned is all, lol.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Looking forward to this weekend, my pop is coming out and he knows the state pretty well so will be doing some rambling into the fine mountain towns. It winds up being a bit hilarious though as he is going on hazy memories of the 70s to mid 90's...so its safe to say whatever is at the destination is a surprise to us both.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I really need to start writing down good restaurants i go to. Been looking for hours trying to figure out place I had gone previously but am just striking out. Going to try out Adelitas Cocina y Cantina instead, looks pretty good. I generally prefer more divey places, but you can't always get what you want and this time some other folks needed waiters/service.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Great state, best skiing and snowboarding experiences ever :) Y'all living there are lucky. Enjoy

Latest posts

Top Bottom