• Tagged users None
souf69

souf69

IMG 20160505 084952
Ahh work! Keeps us young.

G

GreenTrees88

Looking good MendoGiantZ and Souf69! Thanks for posting
It will be cool to see each garden grow this summer. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a bountiful autumn harvest!

G

GreenTrees88

We have 70 pots filled so far, with 29 more to go. We went through most of the 160 yards of mix and the 10 yards of added perlite. I double checked my calculations and they are accurate. I spoke with the owner of the soil company that I purchased from and he swore that you delivered all 160 yards. Really not much I can do about it, beside grin and smoke one.
Looks like I will be ordering 20 more yards. Overall, things are progressing as planned and the vibe is good.

G

GreenTrees88

Lemme hook you up brother. Buy a small roto tiller and go rent a tractor with a 5 foot bucket. Build a ring out of bamboo barrier with some handles so you can lift it out. The five foot bucket fits perfect in a 300 gallon and it takes about 1 min with a good tractor operator.
Thanks MendogiantZ. I rented a skid steer and thought I could have it done in a week. I'm in the second week now and still need it a few more days. The weather and a lot of backfill work is taking more time then I thought.

G

GreenTrees88

Is there a Colorado 'tree' grower on THC Farmer that can talk about how much water and how often they water their 300 gallon pots, during veg and bloom? Time of day? etc?
The average summer humidity here in Southern Colorado is 53% in the morning and 32% in the afternoon.

maya42

maya42

I'm from colorado but in humboldt now. Water at the same time every time if possible. You want your pots to dry out , but not to much, no drooping. Probably every other day , longer at times. Water In the morning when in flower, it helps keep mold down later in flower. Use yucca.

Your pots look pretty close for 300s . 12 ft spaced on centers is the CLOSEST I would go
14ft or more is desired.

G

GreenTrees88

I'm from colorado but in humboldt now. Water at the same time every time if possible. You want your pots to dry out , but not to much, no drooping. Probably every other day , longer at times. Water In the morning when in flower, it helps keep mold down later in flower. Use yucca.

Your pots look pretty close for 300s . 12 ft spaced on centers is the CLOSEST I would go
14ft or more is desired.

Thank you maya42 for your help. The plants are 12 foot on center now. What do you meant use 'yucca'

Underthesun

Underthesun

We have 70 pots filled so far, with 29 more to go. We went through most of the 160 yards of mix and the 10 yards of added perlite. I double checked my calculations and they are accurate. I spoke with the owner of the soil company that I purchased from and he swore that you delivered all 160 yards. Really not much I can do about it, beside grin and smoke one.
Looks like I will be ordering 20 more yards. Overall, things are progressing as planned and the vibe is good.

Soils density and volume can change. Insitu soil, soil in place or in the ground will have a different volume than soil that is dug up and hauled. I used to do math formulas as a construction estimator for soil volumes for this reason. We would be getting 1000s of CY of soil so it was important. I don't bother for my small garden, but in your case it may be worth researching soil compaction, the guys selling it may even have the data sheets on it. Not saying this is your issue, but maybe. Moisture plays a major roll. If you got dryish soil delivered, and then you watered it.

G

GreenTrees88

Thank you for that info, been doing a bad job at finding such a store apparently.
No worries. The reason for this blog is to help as many growers as possible, especially those in Colorado to find the resources they need. I have been helped greatly by in the past by those that came before me on THCfarmer and I hope to help others in return.

G

GreenTrees88

Soils density and volume can change. Insitu soil, soil in place or in the ground will have a different volume than soil that is dug up and hauled. I used to do math formulas as a construction estimator for soil volumes for this reason. We would be getting 1000s of CY of soil so it was important. I don't bother for my small garden, but in your case it may be worth researching soil compaction, the guys selling it may even have the data sheets on it. Not saying this is your issue, but maybe. Moisture plays a major roll. If you got dryish soil delivered, and then you watered it.
Thanks Underthesun, that helps. I ordered another 20 yards and he only charged me for 15 yards. I don't really have a reliable way for knowing for sure and even if I did I would then have to 'prove' it to the supplier. I didn't want to fight on this one. peace.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Thanks Underthesun, that helps. I ordered another 20 yards and he only charged me for 15 yards. I don't really have a reliable way for knowing for sure and even if I did I would then have to 'prove' it to the supplier. I didn't want to fight on this one. peace.
I just had a very similar experience with sequoia landscape who I have been using for a couple years now. They brought me 60 yards and it's supposed to fill 40 of my 300 gallon pots but it only filled 33. It's my word against there's. I really feel like the 300 gallon pots take a lot more dirt then my 200 gallons. Like twice as much. I know it should be 1/3 more but it seems like even more then that.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I imagine they fill up a 5 yard truck with a loader that holds a yard in its bucket. Some falls out, some blows away during transportation and there is also lots of air voids in the soil when its being put in a truck. I'm sure they don't let it settle and give it a nice watering before topping it off again. All the best, happy warm weather!

Underthesun

Underthesun

I just had a very similar experience with sequoia landscape who I have been using for a couple years now. They brought me 60 yards and it's supposed to fill 40 of my 300 gallon pots but it only filled 33. It's my word against there's. I really feel like the 300 gallon pots take a lot more dirt then my 200 gallons. Like twice as much. I know it should be 1/3 more but it seems like even more then that.

More volume would have more weight, so maybe a little more compaction on the bottom layers. I'd like to have 300 gallon pots, you guys are lucky.

souf69

souf69

Our 150 gals became 90s after one year of watering and growth, compaction, etc.

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

I have production loaded trucks alot. Like 1000's of loads and if you buy it by the yard they cheat you. I would load base out, it was by the yard, I was really high and no truck ever got the exact same amount. Bad ass grow good luck

Top Bottom