• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
View attachment 333467
c'mon we want to see ya do this! Im sure there are people that would toss you some equipment to see you try it, LOL!

"easily over 10 lbs".... LOL bro that's a bold statement. I'm not trying to flame you but if you haven't done it, you can't say "easily"

Problem here is that the lights are 8' OC. across.. I played with this idea and decided it wasnt worth it because of this. You get too big of a gap across the polygon. It's a waste of energy when looking at efficiency, and if you know tty, welll....you know he won't submit to being inefficient about anything.

My next set up is gonna be the new e-papillon 1000's overhead and 600's vert. 12 plants, 14.4k. 70" OC.

I'm also gonna flip the 600's to save energy based on some reading a la Heath RObinson.

ttystikk

ttystikk

"easily over 10 lbs".... LOL bro that's a bold statement. I'm not trying to flame you but if you haven't done it, you can't say "easily"

Problem here is that the lights are 8' OC. across.. I played with this idea and decided it wasnt worth it because of this. You get too big of a gap across the polygon. It's a waste of energy when looking at efficiency, and if you know tty, welll....you know he won't submit to being inefficient about anything.

My next set up is gonna be the new e-papillon 1000's overhead and 600's vert. 12 plants, 14.4k. 70" OC.

I'm also gonna flip the 600's to save energy based on some reading a la Heath RObinson.

It's nice to know I have a reputation here!

Why the e-papillon setup as opposed to Gavita's? They're both running the same Philips 400V double ended 1kW HPS bulb, correct?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
It's nice to know I have a reputation here!

Why the e-papillon setup as opposed to Gavita's? They're both running the same Philips 400V double ended 1kW HPS bulb, correct?

I don't know a whole lot about them other than the reflector of the e pap has a better footprint. I am still researching, but I do want to include overhead lighting on my next spot as I will have a 12' ceiling. My goal is to average 3/, 12 plants.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't know a whole lot about them other than the reflector of the e pap has a better footprint. I am still researching, but I do want to include overhead lighting on my next spot as I will have a 12' ceiling. My goal is to average 3/, 12 plants.

If I were to light a single plant per fixture, I would prefer a more concentrated footprint to a more diffuse one. Which one better meets that spec I do not know- and if you find out, tell me! And if you try this, put it on a short light rail, like 3 feet with no delay at the ends. This would eliminate leaf shading and allow you to run the bulb closer without fear of burn. Carrying this idea to its extreme, I could even help you engineer a small diameter circular style light mover that would do the same in two dimensions.

ttystikk

ttystikk

yup. that's it. for 1,000s you're going to want the plants 50" o.c. . . . and you're going to want a good fan under each lamp blowing the heat up. and when they start drinking you're going to want a larger reservoir . . . likely 30-40 gal worth.

The total operating capacity of the RDWC system is already 90 gallons. Would I need such a huge reservoir in a sealed room, where I'm recycling my dehuey water back into my system?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
first, have you had success recirculating your dehuey water back into the system? i've looked into this a couple of times over the years and i've had a couple of folks tell me that they ran into problems with the water quality that they weren't able to resolve. in some instances this was with recirculating a/c condensation, not dehuey water.

my mpb system had 70 gal in the totes and another 40 in the main rez and when the plants were seriously drinking they were taking 30 gal out of the main rez each day. that was a sealed room. dds recommended a main rez size in a post once, but i can't seem to find it. maybe Cap has a record of it . . . what size rez are you using for 4 buckets, Cap?

ttystikk

ttystikk

first, have you had success recirculating your dehuey water back into the system? i've looked into this a couple of times over the years and i've had a couple of folks tell me that they ran into problems with the water quality that they weren't able to resolve. in some instances this was with recirculating a/c condensation, not dehuey water.

my mpb system had 70 gal in the totes and another 40 in the main rez and when the plants were seriously drinking they were taking 30 gal out of the main rez each day. that was a sealed room. dds recommended a main rez size in a post once, but i can't seem to find it. maybe Cap has a record of it . . . what size rez are you using for 4 buckets, Cap?

Since I don't try to save the water someplace, it doesn't get a chance to sit and go bad. That may account for it.

In a sealed room, where would 30 gallons of water go?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
it goes out as the a/c condensation and the dhuey . . . but i don't think anyone was storing the water anywhere . . . they were putting it right back into the system . . . . either into the rez or into a humidifier. if my memory is correct gettogrow was trying to reuse that "waste" water recently. you might check with him about it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

it goes out as the a/c condensation and the dhuey . . . but i don't think anyone was storing the water anywhere . . . they were putting it right back into the system . . . . either into the rez or into a humidifier. if my memory is correct gettogrow was trying to reuse that "waste" water recently. you might check with him about it.

I'm not really sure what the difference might be between water distilled by a cold water to air heat exchanger, or by a dehumidifier's cold Freon to water heat exchanger. To me, the big difference isn't the water or how it's distilled, it's that a stand alone dehuey outputs HOT dry air, and the exchanger for a chiller does not. AC and minisplit might do it too well, which also leads to plant stress.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i don't understand it either, that's why i've looked into it a couple of times, but each time i've looked into it i've found that those who have tried it reported that it didn't work. and yeah, i'd think that putting 0ppm a/c condensation into a humidifier would be just fine . . . . but i haven't been willing to bet a harvest on it when others say they tried it and bad stuff happened. i'm just suggesting that you might want to ask around and find someone with experience before you count on it to work, but hey, maybe you just wanna go for it. i'm happy to watch. : )

ttystikk

ttystikk

i don't understand it either, that's why i've looked into it a couple of times, but each time i've looked into it i've found that those who have tried it reported that it didn't work. and yeah, i'd think that putting 0ppm a/c condensation into a humidifier would be just fine . . . . but i haven't been willing to bet a harvest on it when others say they tried it and bad stuff happened. i'm just suggesting that you might want to ask around and find someone with experience before you count on it to work, but hey, maybe you just wanna go for it. i'm happy to watch. : )

Then I'd be watching the mirror, I've been recycling my distillate back into my water for a long time now. The key is to enrich with balanced nutes as EC falls.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Stuck the quote in to get your attention Cap...hope ya don't mind.

What spacing would you recommend if I were to use Adjust a wings for the 4 outside lights....hung vertically of course. This would be a 5 light setup with 4 plants.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Stuck the quote in to get your attention Cap...hope ya don't mind.

What spacing would you recommend if I were to use Adjust a wings for the 4 outside lights....hung vertically of course. This would be a 5 light setup with 4 plants.

I have never used adjusto wings. sorry. You would not want to hang the reflector vertically. It needs to hit the plant on three sides. You will be limiting the surface area that all the light is hitting. Just hang bare.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have never used adjusto wings. sorry. You would not want to hang the reflector vertically. It needs to hit the plant on three sides. You will be limiting the surface area that all the light is hitting. Just hang bare.

He's talking about the side of the bulb shining against the wall. I agree that some kind of purpose built reflective surface would be helpful.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
From the graphic that I put up, I gathered the bulbs would be hung close to the walls. How close is acceptable?

If you hung a steel plate behind it you could put it touching I would think.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If you hung a steel plate behind it you could put it touching I would think.

I was actually thinking of something more along the line of the same reflector material used inside reflectors, but in this case it would not shroud the bulb, rather just reflect light away from the wall- and possibly a 45 degree angle 'step' beneath the bulb, to reflect light that would otherwise be wasted on the floor. If this reflector were to be mounted with spacers so it stands an inch or two off the wall, it would not heat up the wall enough to be dangerous.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Just put some orca film on the walls.

Thanks Cap.....I always value your views on things. My rooms are 12x20 so the outside bulbs won't be close to the walls. I think I will wind up putting some lankier strains on the other side of the bulb so that I'm not wasting light. Pretty stoked on growing Vert again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom