Drying in a cold closet, is powdery midlew or bud rot still a concern?

• Thread starter wobbleysausage
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Hello, normally I would dry inside the same tent I grow in after cleaning. But I had a oopsie and had to pull the tops of my girl early (heat and light stress) and cut away dead sugar leaves to prevent bud rot. I believe I have that taken care of but now the problem became where to dry my tops at. I hung them in my bedroom closet which obviously has no heater. Its definitely in the 60s inside there. Probably like 67 or 68 if I had to guess. Is it possible for pm or budrot to still set in under these conditions? The air should be very dry. Unfortunately I have one humidifier and its with my living girls so I can raise humidity. But I'm mostly worried about budrot and pm on the harvest, not flavor currently.

If I had to guess conditions its probably 68 and the humidity is anywhere from %20-35 but its cold outside so dry air is moving inside the house.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
It sounds like you don't have many options. I've dried buds in a closet. At least it can be kept dark, which is important. I've often heard the 60-60 rule: 60% humidity and 60º temperature. I've yet to get to that point.

I think your closet will be okay. The good news is you probably won't have to worry about mold or mildew. The main problem would be them drying quickly because of the low humidity. They might not dry evenly. The inside might be moister than the outside. I'm thinking that putting them in sealed jars after about a week will help. That will spread the remaining moisture and you can check the humidity in the jars. We drop in one of those cheap hygrometer thermometer combinations they sell on Amazon. They're not really accurate, but they'll provide a general idea.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

It sounds like you don't have many options. I've dried buds in a closet. At least it can be kept dark, which is important. I've often heard the 60-60 rule: 60% humidity and 60º temperature. I've yet to get to that point.

I think your closet will be okay. The good news is you probably won't have to worry about mold or mildew. The main problem would be them drying quickly because of the low humidity. They might not dry evenly. The inside might be moister than the outside. I'm thinking that putting them in sealed jars after about a week will help. That will spread the remaining moisture and you can check the humidity in the jars. We drop in one of those cheap hygrometer thermometer combinations they sell on Amazon. They're not really accurate, but they'll provide a general idea.
I actually have all the equipment already haha. The little hygrometer and jars and such. But yeah its super cold in there what worries me is the inside of the buds will get rot. Especially the larger ones.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

At 25-45%RH, you’re not going to get any rot/mold. Period.
I'm worried the larger nugs will start to get bud rot inside the buds where humidity isn't controlled. And since its so cold they won't dry as quick. And then boom rot inside the buds. I had this happen once before but it was warmer so the conditions are slightly different. I'm just so scared of the mold 🤢

Grower1974

Grower1974

I'm worried the larger nugs will start to get bud rot inside the buds where humidity isn't controlled. And since its so cold they won't dry as quick. And then boom rot inside the buds. I had this happen once before but it was warmer so the conditions are slightly different. I'm just so scared of the mold 🤢
Just keep the closet door cracked open for air replenishment. Stick a tiny desk fan pointing at the door. It’s not rocket science. My product hangs in my grow room at 55-62% RH all the time….

IMG 3210
IMG 3211
Copa

Copa

Looks good to me...✌️ I was just thinking, I made a small dehydrator out of a big cardboard box, stood on its side so the top now is on the side and opens like barn doors poked a hanger through the roof and rebent the hook to hold it and added a small unit of moisture obsorb in the corner...would leave the doors slighly open maybe 6 inch and a gentle breeze from a fan...

Last edited:
Copa

Copa

Looks good to me...✌️ I was just thinking, I made a small dehydrator out of a big cardboard box, stood on its side so the top now is on the side and opens like barn doors poked a hanger through the roof and rebent the hook to hold it and added a small unit of moisture obsorb in the corner...would leave the doors slighly open maybe 6 inch and a gentle breeze from a fan...

20240209 122826
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Im not gonna lie im confused by whats going on in the picture.

Copa

Copa

It's my dehydrator, put the bud on a hanger inside the box thats attached to the top, throw in the moisture thing that is sitting on top, ignore the shake thats been sitting there for years, adjust the opening to your liking and put a gentle breeze into her.... dried bud quick, or just use it for the fat buds and not worry about mold....works for me..... Haven't used it for 5 years, but now I remember I would also close it completly sometimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom