EasyRyder Auto Grow

• Thread starter Baldio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Baldio

Dropped 4 beans to soak a couple days ago & all 4 popped! Around 12am last night I set them in small rockwool cubes,surrounded by hydroton,in 3" hydro baskets. They are in a planter filled with water being oxygenated by a large air stone. Right now their lighting is 2, 4' Agromax T5 "Grow" bulbs about 10" above the plants. By 6:30 am 3 had already shed their seed hulls & 2 of those have their 1st leaves opened already. I have given them just a small amount of Superthrive & DM Gold Grow A&B at about 1\8 strength. PH is at 5.8 & I didn't bother with PPM at this point. This is my 1st Auto strain grow & I am open to suggestions\opinions from you experienced folks! I also have a few questions I could use your help with. Do I veg them like normal until I see them start to flower? When do I add some "Bloom" bulbs & nutrients to the mix? Should I add a little H202 to the mix to help the roots take off? I will be growing them in a DWC system under a 600w HPS light with T5's as side supplement. I will upload pics once they get going & are ready to move to the flowering room. This should be in 2 to 3 weeks if I remember correctly??? This will be the 1st time I have had help from the THCFarmers out there & I am really looking forward to hearing input & advice from all of you! Have a great Day!

B

Baldio

Update on Easy Ryder grow

Well I'm gonna attempt to upload a few pics so bear with me as I hunt and peck my way along. Even though a lot of folks looked at the original post nobody responded. I am hoping that you were just waiting on pics and more info...??? So here goes!
Only 3 of the 4 seedlings made it. The one that died never did look quite right from the get go. 2 of the 3 are getting on quite well and 1 is lagging behind a bit. I am not familiar with the diff phenos in this strain so if you are please share. The pics are 2 of the girls at 17 days old. I could not upload pics of the short pheno due to the files being too large. I will lower the megapixels to get the file smaller and repost them unless there is another way...????

100 0767

100 0772

100 0775

100 0773

B

Baldio

I finally got a pic to upload showing the shortest pheno of the 3 but it shows the other 2 girls as well.All 3 of these were started at the same time.I will keep trying to figure out how to manipulate the file size. Meanwhile I need to update a few things that have changed. On about day 5 I ditched the DM Gold & went back to FoxFarm nutrients. I got the DM free but decided against it due to personal pref only. It may very well have worked out fine. In addition to the FoxFarm line-up I am using Sensizym, Great White & H202 for root health & growth. I have only been feeding "Veg" nutrients so far. At the next res change I will be adding in pre-bloom & Bloom nutrients. This will be around the 25 day mark. I am open to suggestions/advice concerning this so please jump in with comments guys & girls!

100 0783
B

Baldio

Hi 420Gator! Thanks so much...I really do appreciate the advice.

B

Baldio

Well folks I've come to the conclusion that this short girl is not just a separate pheno, she's just not growing at all! The plant looks & feels healthy but it has not improved its size or increased its root mass in several days. The other 2 are coming along just fine so I'm not sure what the deal is with this girl. I took some pics of all 3 to show what I am talking about. The short one only has one small tip of a root showing that I can see while the other 2 are zipping right along. The brown on the roots is only from the Foxfarm nutes I am using. All 3 girls are feeding from the same reservoir. Water temp is 72F & PH 6.4 on avg. I have tried repeatedly to get it to hold at 5.8 but it is always back up the next morning. I have read that it's better to let it fluctuate a bit than to repeatedly shock it with dramatic doses of buffers. As long as it is not way out on the high or low end. I try to keep it between 5.4 to 6.8 at any given time. Let me know if you have any suggestions on what to do for the girl that is not growing! Have a great day everybody!
100 0794

100 0792

100 0797

100 0790

100 0798

100 0791

420Gator

420Gator

im no hydro guy baldie but the roots look a little discolored to me

is ur ph pretty stable? maybe clean the system too the net pot looked a little dirty but again i know nothing about dro

hopefully someone will have a solution for you

R

Reefer Franklin

Baldio,

Were the roots all the same length when you put them in the Hydroton ?
I ask because out of 48 plants that I have growing about half a dozen had much shorter roots than the rest. They lagged behind for a couple of weeks, but caught up on week 3. It could be that this is just a late starter.

The Reef

B

Baldio

Hey Gator! I just checked the PH & it was at 6.8 which is higher than I like to run but still okay from what I have read. Temp was at 72.8F. A PH of 5.8 would usually be ideal for Dro, IMHO, but that does vary among growers. It has been holding a steady 6.5 lately & today is the 1st adjustment I've made to it in a while. The Organic FF nutes usually do discolor the roots a bit & stick to the net pot, however, it does seem to be more than I usually see. I was thinking that this is due to the Great White mycorrhizae & Sensizyme enzyme additives I'm using this run. The majority of the roots in the rez are nice & white except where they are against the net pot. I'm gonna finish up my new buckets & get these girls isolated in their own nutrient solution so I will clean them up good before I move them. They are all reacting diff anyway....1 is growing like nobodys biz, 1 is starting to show nute burn & the other is not growing at the top or roots.. :worried . Thanks for getting back to me..I'll take all the help I can get!

B

Baldio

Baldio,

Were the roots all the same length when you put them in the Hydroton ?
I ask because out of 48 plants that I have growing about half a dozen had much shorter roots than the rest. They lagged behind for a couple of weeks, but caught up on week 3. It could be that this is just a late starter.

The Reef

Hi Reef, I do remember one of them being a bit shorter so I guess that is possible. The plant seems to be healthy other than not growing at all. I will get a better look at the roots tonight when I transplant into the buckets. Thanks Reef!

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

hey baldio looks like your headed in the right direction
any specific reason you went with autoflowers?
if you plants are looking nice and healty and not growing it could just be the genetics, or maybe its not really noticable until you get a ruler out?
i use the dutchmaster a/b and swear by the stuff, but if you more comfortable with the fox farm def go with those
seen serval side by sides where the ducthmaster performed just as good as the advanced nutes "grand master grow set" with just the 5 or 6 part dutchmaster line
one other thing is be careful about using great white and h2o2 together, im not fimilar with great white but if its your bene's and enzymes the h2o2 is killing all that stuff
good luck to ya

B

Baldio

hey baldio looks like your headed in the right direction
any specific reason you went with autoflowers?
if you plants are looking nice and healty and not growing it could just be the genetics, or maybe its not really noticable until you get a ruler out?
i use the dutchmaster a/b and swear by the stuff, but if you more comfortable with the fox farm def go with those
seen serval side by sides where the ducthmaster performed just as good as the advanced nutes "grand master grow set" with just the 5 or 6 part dutchmaster line
one other thing is be careful about using great white and h2o2 together, im not fimilar with great white but if its your bene's and enzymes the h2o2 is killing all that stuff
good luck to ya

Hi Mastacheeser, I just wanted to check out the autos for myself & it didn't hurt that they are a quick turn around too. As far as the DM, I have heard it works well & I have a bit of the DM Gold A&B just not enough to finish the grow. I usually go with organic though & have plenty of the FoxFarm products on hand. I do plan on giving the DM a shot later this year. On the topic of Great White, yes it is my bene's & dadgummit I didn't know the H202 would kill them. I am also using Sensizyme for my enzymes. Thus my "Newbiness" comes shining through...heheh. That's okay though, that's why I joined this forum. I am so glad I didn't get them put in the buckets last night or I would be starting over...."Again". Thanks so much for the info....you helped me in a big way.

420Gator

420Gator

I usually go with organic though & have plenty of the FoxFarm products on hand.

i use ff too and im pretty sure besides the big bloom their stuff is synthetic
from what ive read you wanna stay away from organic stuff in hydro systems

R

Reefer Franklin

Why is that Gator ?

The Reef

420Gator

420Gator

Why is that Gator ?

The Reef

it just seems easier to not have living things (besides the roots) in ur water to fluctuate ph and ppm even more

ive also read ppls hydro equip getting clogged up with organic stuff

again, i have no exp in this myself just what ive read in a few posts

B

Baldio

Gator, When I 1st started growing hydro I told the guy at the shop I wanted to stay Organic & he turned me on to the Foxfarm stuff. It says it's made for hydro systems & certainly looks organic when u compare it to the synthetic stuff I've seen which is completely clear with maybe a bit of color tint to it. If you are running a system with any kind of pump it can & will clog up eventually if not kept serviced. I have done a few Ebb & Flo grows with it in the past with great results,however,the servicing of the equipment was time consuming. That's the biggest reason I am trying out a DWC this time. I'm not saying there aren't any syn's in their stuff. Just going by what I was told. It's okay with me either way cause I'm not like a big time TLO guy or anything. With a small,personal grow like mine I just tend to stick with what has worked for me in the past...If it ain't broke...Heheh. Usually when something is totally organic it will say so on the container somewhere & I don't see that on everything so that answers that for me.:character0029: ( U gotta love Taz!)

As far as PH, yes, it will fluctuate a bit but I have come to learn that as long it's not over 6.8 it's fine. I've read there are lots of natural reasons for these fluctuations & you shouldn't try to fight these or you risk damaging your plants or inhibiting growth. Once I quit trying to hold it at a "perfect" 5.8 I had much better results not to mention less headaches... Heheheh. It appears I need to be more careful / informed when I use the term organic as I know this is particularly important / vital to a lot of growers & rightfully so. Thanks for looking out for me Gator...it's much appreciated.

B

Baldio

The pics below show the short plant before I moved them all into separate buckets. You can see what little root system it does have does not look healthy. The other two were bright white after rinsing and are flourishing. I even removed the bad one from its original net pot and you can see the inside was nasty with a grey looking muck all over. I cleaned the plant up and used fresh hydroton when I set it in its own bucket but I'm not holding my breath...hehheh. I believe the issue was the H202 I was trying to use in my nute solution with the Great White & Sensizyme. Two plants were able to survive it but this little one just couldn't handle the stress. Much thanks to everyone for the help on this issue. Hopefully the other two will be nice to look at over the next few weeks. I will update with pics as they grow. BTW, the two good ones are BLOOMING !!! I will upload some shots of them tomorrow.

100 0822

100 0824

S

smokestack23

Organic Hydroponic is an oxymoron if you ask me...you know like..military intelligence or jumbo shrimp....they just don't go well together. ESPECIALLY in dwc. Besides, a lot of people will tell you that the plant uses elements in a "chemical" form no matter how it gets there anyway.
Not saying that "organic" fertilizing doesn't have it's place..it's place just isn't really in my rdwc system. I prefer the mindset of being in a laboratory and being a bit more clinical when running hydro.

Also, in dwc, if you have any root problems, discontinue the use of enzymes until you get the problems cleared-up. Enzymes are for breaking down organic matter into more usable "nutrients" (read chemicals). They tend to lend an explosive growth quality to root pathogens. Again, I prefer a "sterile" res. I don't use enzymes.

You can't use (as was said) H2O2 along with Great White or enzymes. H2O2 kills shit...that's what it's for.
What I do (ymmv) ...or do NOT do is..use H2O2 except for cleaning. There are other (gentler?) products that will protect you from everything that H2O2 will (and better I think) like SM90 and or DM Zone.
For brown algae (not SM90, DMZone, OR H2O2 will kill that stuff), I have a jar of Great White on stand-by along with some EWC to make some tea if I ever need it.
I had a scare a few weeks ago so I brewed-up a few gallons of Great White/EWC tea but it turned-out to be a false alarm.
As I said though...I just have the Great White in case of a brown algae emergency. Until then, nothing living in my res.

pH swings are/can be good but we're talking a swing from like 5.8 to 6.2 or 6.3 in a week or ten days...not overnight. I have no organic experience though so who knows what that organic "brew" of yours is doing. Maybe that much of a swing isn't that much out of the ordinary for organics but...doesn't sound good to me.
Sounds like root problems imo.

If your temps are going to be that high you should get some DM Zone. You have plenty of air in those buckets?

If you want to take a walk on the "sterile" side (well..you SHOULD spend 30 bucks and make it into a Rdwc either way but...) simply:

-Don't introduce any organic matter into your res if you can help it (except in the case of benes to cure a problem).

-Don't let any light get in

-Try to keep your nutrient temps no higher than 70 (preferably even a bit lower)

-Use SM90 and/or Dutch Master Zone and use the amount DM suggests for your res temps...more for higher temps

-Make sure you have at least 1 Watt worth of airpump per gallon of nutrient solution

-Start with weaker nutrient "strengths". You'll probably find that your plants are happier with much milder solutions than manufacturers recommend (except for the Zone)

........I also have Physan20, Bleach, and H2O2..all used for clean-up and on ..........................stand-by for emergencies.........................

I mix a fresh batch and as the system (plants) use it up, I replenish with pH corrected and SM90 or Zone added RO water daily. My plants use about one to one and a half gallons per day per plant. My 4-plant systems hold around 40 gallons. They've eaten up most of the system's nutes in 7 days so that's when I drain and re-fill fresh.

Now again...I'm not saying Hydro is better or worse than organics....or chemical vs organic or whatever...and I'm not saying that sterile or "dead" reses are better or worse than reses with beneficial bacteria and fungi. A LOT of people have great success with organics, soiless, dwc....and hydro the sterile OR bene route. It's a matter of preference. MY preference is hydro with chemicals and a dead res. YMMV IMHO FWIW!

B

Baldio

SmokeStack, thanks for taking the time to share your experience & what works well for you. I am planning a Hydro run with the DM line later this year & I am sure I will refer back to your post for help with it. I am running this one DWC instead of RDWC to do away with the pumps, hoses, etc which are potential issues in an organic set-up. However, I have since been informed that the only completely organic part of my FoxFarm line-up is the Big Bloom nute. I'm using a GH Blue Stone airpump which is 8 watts & says it's designed for up to 8 lines ( with splitters). It has 4 outlets of which I am using only 3 attached to large heavy airstones, 1 in each bucket. It is bubbling the solution VERY WELL with small air bubbles. I will post a pic of it along with a few of the 2 plants that survived the H202 assault I laid on them. They seem to be doing well & I will keep an eye on them for the issues you were speaking of. You will see some grey buckets/lids in the pics but the plants are all in black buckets to keep any light out.Thanks again for your input and sharing your opinion!

100 0831

100 0840

100 0830

100 0832

100 0843

100 0834

100 0838

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

did you cut out your h2o2? i run dutchmaster zone which is much like h2o2, and i also run alot of benes and enzymes. what i do to run these together is add my zone in a day or two before my rez change. also another very important thing to watch in aero is your water temp. 75 or below is a must. chillers are a lil pricey, so what you can do instead is line you buckets with insulated materal and keep your room at 72-75 when the lights are on. cold night temps will help keep the water temp down, but dont go too cold
any ?'s dont be afraid to pm, im running aeroflos, which is basically a sog dwc setup

Latest posts

Top Bottom