Electrictal help, please

• Thread starter bluegrass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bluegrass

Ok so I just test fired my flowering room, I am growing in an apt btw, so I test fired an 5000 btu AC along with 1400 watts of HID lighting, a breaker flipped for that one room, I take it that I am overloading the circuit, correct? I am living in an apartment, once again. Is there anything I can do to fix this situtation? Could I run an extension cord from my bedroom into the flowering room to run one of the lights as to not flip the breaker or is this going to be more expensive than I thought? Thanks in advance...Peace and respect

B

bluegrass

This really troubles me as I have even yet to get my vent fans and carbon scrubber in there. What can I do to fix this problem you guys?

S

Stackin Paper

Im no sparky but can't you just get a bigger breaker for that part of the house?

leadplant

leadplant

Split the load like you suggested. Put the AC on the ext. cord to your room. Extension cords do increase safety risk so get a good one with built-in trip switch and 12 gauge thickness minimum. Most residential wiring circuits are 15 amps with 14 gauge wiring. 1400 watts of load is OK but its a little bit on the high side safetywise, especially if its older wiring. People plug in 1500 watt spaceheaters all the time and it seems ok but go and look at the char marks on the outlet after a season or two of that.

B

bluegrass

the trouble is that I really dont know how to install the damn things. I may need to find an electrician. I hope this wont cost much...

B

bluegrass

Split the load like you suggested. Put the AC on the ext. cord to your room. Extension cords do increase safety risk so get a good one with built-in trip switch and 12 gauge thickness minimum. Most residential wiring circuits are 15 amps with 14 gauge wiring. 1400 watts of load is OK but its a little bit on the high side safetywise, especially if its older wiring. People plug in 1500 watt spaceheaters all the time and it seems ok but go and look at the char marks on the outlet after a season or two of that.

That sounds great, I will buy the best one I can find at an affordable price. I hope I can solve this problem as I am about to begin soon. I never had this problem before because I never ran an ac before. Plus I was living at a different apt with newer wiring probably...Thanks for the help and keep it coming you guys.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Leadplant has it right. You don't want to get involved with electricians at a rental anyway, real suspicious. Run the lights on their a seperate circuit if possible and run as small an extension cord as you can. The greater the length the greater the risk.

R

rocky

I dont know about electricity, but i do know that it can kill you , so be carful

leadplant

leadplant

Another, better way to go is to use another existing 20 amp circuit closeby if there happens to be one in your circuit panel. Many building codes require bathrooms to be on their own 20 amp circuit. Most 20 amp circuits are 12 gauge wiring. A 15 amp breaker can usually be upgraded to 20 amps but the 14 gauge wiring would need to be replaced with 12 gauge. Not hard at all as a DIY but dont attempt it if not 100% comfortable.

I

Inuit

Leadplant is on the right track.

The real question is what size is your breaker to the rooms in question.

Also, see if you can find the amperage draw on the AC and let us know.

Extension cords are the cheapest easiest way to do it, but they are a PITA and easy to trip over.

Upgrading the breaker w/o changing out the wiring is ASKING for trouble, so don't do that unless you replace all the wiring as well. A 15A circuit uses 14G wire and a 20 uses 12G wire. See if you can see some of the actual wiring for the circuit, and it will tell you on the wire if its 12 or 14. It will say something like "Romex 14-3 AWG" Which stands for 14 gauge, 3 wires. If you happen to get lucky, and you have a 15A breaker and 12G wiring, then I would def recommend you change out the breaker, but NOT in any other circumstanes.

Also, are you running 120V or 220/240V?

A better option than the ext cords is to run a subpanel to your grow area, and then run dedicated outlets to diff areas of the room.

Give us a total power consumption estimate including fans and pumps. If you don't know the wattage they use, tell us how many of each and what size you plan on using.

Even with no elec exp you can easily run a sub panel IF, and its a HUGE IF, IF you have a kill switch that shuts off the entire panel. They are usually located at the top of the box, of in a small box either above the panel, or somewhere between the meter and panel. If you don't have a kill switch than just use extension cords. The benefit of a sub panel is its easy to do yourself and you can run everything up to code except for having it done w/no permit, but its not too hard and with a little help from around here we'll have you in good shape :)

Be safe

I

also, Pm me a link back here when you respond, as I don't bookmark threads.

I

Inuit

Also, make sure your odor control is not skimped on at all. I don't know how many grows you have under your belt, but those plants are gonna stink more than you can imagine. Also, if you're not on the ground floor, take SERIOUS measures to protect the floor. Don't just lay plastic down, think "How will I catch x amt of water if I have a res break?" The last thing you want is to flood the neighbors downstairs....that usually leads to a service call and then another unfriendly call.

Good luck

I

B

bluegrass

Thanks for the tips you guys and I will figure out the total wattage of the room sometime today. No problem, Im not worried about a res break as I only have a rubbermaid full of water for a res, no chance of it leaking as it in a safe place with no traffic, but I do like the way you think! No more piss pour planning from me!

I will speak to my smoke friendly electrician about this situation without getting into details about the grow or even that a grow exists. Thanks a lot for the info and I will be back in here soon with an estimate on the total wattage!

I

invite420

Will be needed to split 3 way , the 1000 watt and fan on a 15 amp circuit , A/c on its own or can be shared with 400 watts

some apts are split roomed as well , as in half room on one 15 amp circuit other half on another 15 amp circuit
test with lamp in outlet flicking circuit breakers
If true use 1000 watts on one circuit and a/c on other

Btw that will be alot of electrical draw like double your
electrical needs for an apt, let alone the smell

GL

edit - also consider need for dehumidifier electrical needs - peek out at 8 amps

leadplant

leadplant

get a continuity checker and a long jumper wire with alligator clips. Very cheap.

turn breaker off, better yet turn all power off, place each end of the continuity checker on each end of the wire in question. The checker will light up if both ends are on each end of the wire. The jumper wire is for extending one end of the checker to wherever you think the other end is. Its simpler than I'm able to describe.

S

Swiffy80

You can get a device to combat this with out the use of extention leads or up rating the breaker. It is used for the lights i dont know how it works.. maybee some of the more electrical minded people will explain.. but you simply pug it itno the wall and it has sockets after the box which STOPS THE SURGE OF POWER thus reducing the strain on the breaker. The model i have seen also has a socket for your fans and they usally have long leads so if your grow space isnt right near your sockets you can keep everything more tidy and safer eliminating the need for extetion leads.

B

bluegrass

swiffy could you please find a link for me or point me to the place where I can find such a product!!!>???

R

Robert

You are simply going to have to split your loads. Draw your power from two or more circuits. Use a heavy duty extension cord, minimum 12 gauge.

S

Swiffy80

Sorry dude i didnt relaise you posted, umm its a product stocked in my local grow shop ill check it out next time i go in and then ill do a google search or sumthing and find you one online cant for the life of me remeber wat there called but im sure thats wat there for....

Top Bottom