Evaporative Humidifier vs swamp cooler for adding moisture

• Thread starter KnowledgeTransfer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KnowledgeTransfer

KnowledgeTransfer

I've gone though so many humidifiers (Aircare) to be specific I just want an analog evaporative humidifier that wont die after a few months of use. Analog so I can hook it up to an inkbird controller. I just became aware of swamp coolers. It seems basically the same as an evap humidifier, has a filter that gets wet and has a fan that pushes air through it. Would this work to raise humidity in my 4x4? Thanks dudes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hessaire-Products-MC18M-Mobile-Evaporative/dp/B078HFGJ3T

B

Bdubs

The larger T7 4 gallon model is the same price as the one you linked and is superior in all ways. A swamp cooler would be pretty novice way to increase humidity, much like relying on an AC unit to dehumidify. The swamp coolers are inconsistent and not efficient at adding an even amount of moisture to the air. You’d be chasing humidity all day.

Colder grow temperatures can help achieve target humidity easier.
When you swing to warmer temps from low temps, like lights turning on, the humidity will drop just because warmer air can hold more moisture.
When lights go out and temperature drops, the humidity rises. This humidity change happens even when there is no additional humidity added to the air.

So if you have less humidity to introduce to your space, lower temps can help you hit targets. So if your at 80 degrees most of your lights on, you’ll most likely fight for humidity during that time, but realize it spikes up when temps drop or lights out.

So the swamp cooler will reduce temps and increase humidity. And both are going to increase your humidity. 2 fold humidifier. Essentially it will over humidify. Especially when lights go off, you will spike in humidity.

B

Bdubs

Do not forget that your playing off the Plant and not the Probe, LVPD. VPD is for the room, but it is the VPD of the Leaf that is the ultimate guide to the actual humidity targets. Reading probe only temp/humidity VPD could push you out of your intended target VPD, which is actually your LVPD.

P

PahPahCee

here we go again; most humidifiers use ultrasonic components. The other style of humidifier is evaporative. Evaporative is superior to ultrasonic counterparts.

ultrasonic create a fine aerosol vapor. When you have minerals in your water (anything besides RO/distilled water) This in turn will cause your ultrasonic humidifier to pick up the minerals and add it to the fine aerosol-mist. This coats EVERYTHING in minerals. This is the white build up you see on the humidifier walls, your grow tent walls, your plants, and unfortunately your lungs.

If you have an ultrasonic humidifier, don’t worry you can just use clean water. If you’re in the market, just buy a evap humidifier. They tend to last a lot longer as well.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Do not forget that your playing off the Plant and not the Probe, LVPD. VPD is for the room, but it is the VPD of the Leaf that is the ultimate guide to the actual humidity targets. Reading probe only temp/humidity VPD could push you out of your intended target VPD, which is actually your LVPD.
Always treat the patient! : )

Grower1974

Grower1974

I own 3 Aircare evaporative (wicking) humidifiers that are between 2-4 years old. They perform flawlessly. What is your issue?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
me as well, the one on wheels,. going for years 24/7,.. got 3,..

Top Bottom