Grow in cornfield?

• Thread starter SativaMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SativaMan

SativaMan

Hello farmers!:wazzup:
I'm preparing for my first outdoor grow. Since i live in a populated area and can't find an isolated place near a wood or something i was thinking about growing in my cornfield.
I was thinking i could pull out of the ground some corn plants and plant my plants in the middle of the cornfield.
The problem is that I've never done an outside grow until now, I've done 2 indoor grows but i don't know if i should sprout indoor and transplant them or try to germinate them in the cornfield.Another question is when should i plant them? when the corn is 20 cm? when is bigger?
Any help would be most appreciated.Maybe some of you guys already tried the cornfield idea? :evilgrin0040:

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

They have round up resistsnt corn.
Experiment, but don't put all your eggs in that basket...

B

Bluenote

Hello farmers!:wazzup:
I'm preparing for my first outdoor grow. Since i live in a populated area and can't find an isolated place near a wood or something i was thinking about growing in my cornfield.
I was thinking i could pull out of the ground some corn plants and plant my plants in the middle of the cornfield.
The problem is that I've never done an outside grow until now, I've done 2 indoor grows but i don't know if i should sprout indoor and transplant them or try to germinate them in the cornfield.Another question is when should i plant them? when the corn is 20 cm? when is bigger?
Any help would be most appreciated.Maybe some of you guys already tried the cornfield idea? :evilgrin0040:

What corn strain? And what are you fertilising with?

Germinate and transplant , let the corn get up quite a bit and don't put too many plants too close together , they'll stand out like a sore thumb in corn or sunflowers if you do.

T

tattoojim

we was gonna do a run in the corn fields. and buddy we would have been screwed cause we had a drought and corn fields were dry and low in corn production.

coloradochem

coloradochem

grow the plants indoors sex and transplant, only pull up one corn plant when you transplant, space them out down a cple differnt rows the length of the field, you want some good spacing between them, so they wont stick out, but are still easy to find. dont worry about fertilizing, the farmer does that for you he also waters, when growing like this its best to only visit twice the nite you transplant and the nite you harvest.

SativaMan

SativaMan

Some great advice. Thanks a lot guys.

Bluenote, the corn is tall...i don't know the strain....but it's common corn, growing tall.

Coloradochem, i understand to grow the plants indoor but how to sex them? or do you mean i should grow them indoor and start the flowering and after that i must move them outside, in the fall?

B

Bluenote

Some great advice. Thanks a lot guys.

Bluenote, the corn is tall...i don't know the strain....but it's common corn, growing tall.

Coloradochem, i understand to grow the plants indoor but how to sex them? or do you mean i should grow them indoor and start the flowering and after that i must move them outside, in the fall?

Gonna have to find out if it's a Roundup resistant strain , and if it's *not* your field you need to try to found out what if anything it was sprayed with , be prepared to lose it all somewhere along the way if it's not your field , never know when someone is going to spray. If it IS your own field all this is a moot point and you'll be able to control everything , which is a BIG plus.

And what CChem meant was move them to 12/12 just long enough to ascertain sex and then move back to 18/6 and veg until you put them out , get them out by end of May at the latest if you can , of course that can be locale and climate dependent. And frankly you can get around having to sex them at all if you just take your cuts off a mother in the first place. I veg anything that's going out inside for as long as it takes to see 18-24 inches depending on the strain. Gives you a chance to do the LST thing and get a jump on it too.

coloradochem

coloradochem

Gonna have to find out if it's a Roundup resistant strain , and if it's *not* your field you need to try to found out what if anything it was sprayed with , be prepared to lose it all somewhere along the way if it's not your field , never know when someone is going to spray. If it IS your own field all this is a moot point and you'll be able to control everything , which is a BIG plus.

And what CChem meant was move them to 12/12 just long enough to ascertain sex and then move back to 18/6 and veg until you put them out , get them out by end of May at the latest if you can , of course that can be locale and climate dependent. And frankly you can get around having to sex them at all if you just take your cuts off a mother in the first place. I veg anything that's going out inside for as long as it takes to see 18-24 inches depending on the strain. Gives you a chance to do the LST thing and get a jump on it too.

ive never heard of a round up resistant strain, ask monsanto lol. But you shouldnt have to worry about it, because the farmer wont spray after the corn(fruit) starts to develop.

waayne

waayne

ive never heard of a round up resistant strain, ask monsanto lol. But you shouldnt have to worry about it, because the farmer wont spray after the corn(fruit) starts to develop.

coloradochem I grew up on a wheat/corn farm in the midwest and if that's fieldcorn for livestock feed it may be sprayed with Malathion or Parathion or something equally as toxic while the kernals are forming>>Farmers don't like to lose yield due to ear worms and routinely spray fieldcorn as the kernals are forming.

If a preemergence herbicide is being used on the field AKA: Atrazine or something similar the soil is gonna be worthless for growing Cannabis.

If it's an organic cornfield you should be in be in good shape as far as the soil goes.....

coloradochem

coloradochem

coloradochem I grew up on a wheat/corn farm in the midwest and if that's fieldcorn for livestock feed it may be sprayed with Malathion or Parathion or something equally as toxic while the kernals are forming>>Farmers don't like to lose yield due to ear worms and routinely spray fieldcorn as the kernals are forming.

If a preemergence herbicide is being used on the field AKA: Atrazine or something similar the soil is gonna be worthless for growing Cannabis.

If it's an organic cornfield you should be in be in good shape as far as the soil goes.....

good point:talking, the fields ive worked in were sweet corn for human consumption, i never encounterd any sparying after ears started developing.

waayne

waayne

good point:talking, the fields ive worked in were sweet corn for human consumption, i never encounterd any sparying after ears started developing.

Yeah man If people knew how most of the fieldcorn / feedcorn grown for livestock was grown they would insist on organic production methods!

Where I grew up the irrigated corn would get sprayed as many as 6-9 times throughout the summer.:evilgrin0040:

Mogrow

Mogrow

look at tobor the 8th threads, he's had success in the corn, it can be done. You say its "your" corn field???? I'd be all over that like stink on shit.....

SativaMan

SativaMan

Thanks for the reply! :talking
Yes it's my cornfield, i don't have to worry about spraying and stuff that can affect my cannabis, i can control everything like one of you guys said earlier.
So here is what I'm going to do, i will buy some feminized seeds in the middle of february and then i'm going to plant them indoor by the end of february and i think that at the middle of april they will be good to go outdoor in the corn.
I've decided on these months because i took a look on the sun set and sun rise in my region and in april the daylight lasts longer than the night.
So what do you think? :cool0010:

SativaMan

SativaMan

@Mogrow where should i look? a link to that thread would be great!
Thanks!

FOUND IT! REALLY HELPFUL, THANK YOU!

Danoid

Danoid

I would recommend against it. Around here they spray round up on the corn. When they plant it and around 35-45 days into the grow. If you wait to plant until the second spray the corn is to tall and you won't get the needed sunlight to pull off a good crop. i have done this and have never found round up to have any herbicide residual effect in the dirt(I know some will disagree) but if the spray hits your plant it is over. Good luck and be safe

SativaMan

SativaMan

But it's my corn ,i won't spray it, i will plant them when the corn is still small so they can compete with it for the lite :)

SativaMan

SativaMan

I think i'll use Big Bud or Lemon Ice or some outdoor mix but i'm not so sure about this outdoor mix, they say the package contain little frankensteins from the lab'. LOL i wounder what monster bud will come out :))))) maybe i'll get smoked by it like in some movie LOL :))))
I gues i will stick to Big bud or Lemon ice. what do you think?

Mogrow

Mogrow

outdoor strains

Sativa Man//// My last frost date here on the 37th parrell is April 15th. You don't need to rush them into the ground, specially if you got good solid cuts. Make sure to have your indoor lighting matching the daylight/nightime when you decide to put them out. May 1st round here is I believe about 14/10.

As far as strains go, oh boy, choose wisely my friend. So many of the strains now are geared for artifical lighting. They will fold like a French heavyweight under the sun.

I have had luck with NL#5, , pre 98 bubba/purple thai cross, secert valleys purplepineberry was doing they well before it got ripped, so was Next Generations Grapegod. Reserve Prevadas kandy kush did well also. I am going to try some gear from Emerald Triangle seed co as well. It's a freaking crap shoot, only hands on experience will give you the best ideas.

You are sitting in the catbirds seat with your own ground. How many acres is your corn field? Can you irragate?? All our corn around here last year was lost, except those you could irragate.

Good luck man, feel free to ask any questions you have, I've been growing outdoors along time.

Peace mogrow

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

if you want to sex a plant without kicking the whole thing into flower there is an easy method. just take a clip, put it in a glass of water in your flower room, and wait. no need to root the clipping, it will show sex just like if you put the whole plant in there.

SativaMan

SativaMan

Thanks a lot mogrow
well, the field is rather small, dunno the surface but it will be well irrigated.
I don't have much experience with strains but i'm reading the details provided by the seedbank and i will chose a strain that they say it's suited outdoor, i don't know a better way than this.:D:character0103:

KennyPowers that is a huge tip man! :clapping:surprised thanks a lot!
But what do you mean by clipping? i must top it? a leaf? a branch?

Top Bottom