Growing with Gaia Green - Shaded's Method

• Thread starter Shaded_One
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
@Shaded_One I tried to distill your write-up into something I can print and stick on the wall. Have I interpreted things accurately?

View attachment 1997734
Awsome man, love that sheet.ill definitely download it and probably print it off
Unfortunately I think shaded_one isn't on here anymore. I think he's from Alberta so he might be dealing with the wildfires, either that or he's taking a break from posting.

D

Deaner

This is a well known myth that has been debunked. Feed your plants until the finish. Fortunately with the way Gaia Green works in 4 week blocks most of the time the last "feed" is about 4-5 weeks before chop.

41:25 is when they get on the discussion of flushing and feeding to the end.
What an excellent video thanks for sharing

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I’m running 5 gallon buckets, I top dress 3 tbs epsom 3tbs gypsum 3tbs azomite every 2 weeks, (per 5 gal bucket) the Gaia green is every 4 weeks as mentioned above, I did find I still got cal def on one plant but adding 1.5 tbs gypsum and 1.5 tbs epsom to a gallon of water per bucket has stopped the progression so moving forward I’ll top dress the same with the gypsum azomite epsom but add the extra watering once per week of the epsom gypsum

It was hard for me to understand at first as well with the macro feeds so I started out low and worked up I believe I’m close now it’s just a matter of fine tuning

For example I just mixed up soil for my clones I go full feed rate as soon as they have roots, and they will go into 1 cup sized pots, my mix was 2gal peat moss, 1/2 gal perlite (additiona to what was already in the FF lucky dog peat moss) then 6tbs Gaia green 4-4-4, 2tbs epsom, 2tbs gypsum 2 tbs azomite 1/2 tsp myco

They’ll stay in those pots about 2 weeks till I can see roots out the bottom

Then same mix per gal for the 1 gal pots on up pot after the 2ish weeks

So far I’ve seen no negative impacts of the low cal / mag early veg, but I found around week 2.5-3 of flower the plants seem to want more cal and mag, so next run a week before flip I’ll start the additional epsom/gypsum, and will also do the 50% grow / 50% bloom flip top dress a week earlier this run I think they ate it all up too early, took many notes these last 2 runs lol
4A2BF4C9 D958 403C BADA C51BB1F8EFD9

This chart has helped me….and it seems like u are correct that the Ca and Mg needs increase after 2-3 weeks of flower.
I’ve mixed in bone meal, langebienite and gypsum along with both Gaia Greens and the plants did great.
I wish I had more of an exact idea of what was doing what and the actual time it takes each of these to break down and become available…..maybe someone can shed some light it.

K

kidcole99

Hey Slim Shadey!
My girls are rocking 😘 I held them longer than I would have liked too, due to ppl wanting a top vs fim vid. Had to wait until my daughter could video it as I needed both hands!
These ladies will get their tea and top dressing next feed day on Friday. I just flipped too, so now we are off to the races. I managed to get them under scrog, well took three of us to drop the top with just one minor feck up, so I’m happy with that. Tons of defoliation to do as soon as I’m through stretch.
By the next morning they were taking seats at the table. 🥰
You, I and @PipeCarver have all hit flower at the same time. Will be fun to watch! Now, show me da pics! 🥰
Looks amazing. How high off the ground is your table? I want to make one for my 5x5

G

georginaisle

Hello and welcome to my "Growing with Gaia Green" guide! Figured I would just make a post that can be referenced instead of constantly writing this out in DM's or threads. Gaia Green products are 100% organic dry amendments for cannabis use. They are a Canadian based company but they also sell their product in the USA as well. They have a lot of products to offer and you may find a specific use for some of them due to your variables but I am just going to focus on what I personally use in my stack.

View attachment 1261673View attachment 1261674View attachment 1261675View attachment 1261678View attachment 1261681

Sprout phase, ~1 week: NO nutrients are being added to the growing medium. Earth worm castings & cotyledons provide more than enough nutrition for the first 2 weeks of a seeds life
-transplant to 1gallon-
Early veg phase, 4 weeks: amend 3tbsp of 100% All Purpose 4-4-4 per gallon of medium eg. 3tbsp of 4-4-4 for a 1gallon container
Late veg phase if needed, 4 weeks: top dress 3tbsp of 100% All Purpose 4-4-4 per gallon of medium eg. 3tbsp of 4-4-4 for a 1 gallon container
-transplant to 5gallon-
Early flower phase, 1 week before flipping lights: amend 3tbsp of 50% All Purpose 4-4-4 and 50% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 8tbsp of 4-4-4 and 8tbsp of 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
Mid flower phase, week 3 or 4 of flower: top dress 3tbsp of 25% All Purpose 4-4-4 and 75% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 4tbsp of 4-4-4 and 12tbsp of 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
Late flower phase, sativa plants: if you have a sativa plant chances are they may need an additional weeks of growing time so you could do a light top dress 2tbsp of 100% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 10tbsp of 100% Power Bloom 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
-harvest-

This is the basic feed schedule and this is a FULL STRENGTH feeding regiment meaning you are pushing your plant pretty hard. Certain strains and different growing environments may mean that you might only need to use 2/3 of what I have here for amounts. I recommend starting off with 2/3 of what is listed and increasing to full amounts if you're certain that your plants can handle it.

Additional supplements that I use are:

Mycorrhizae
I generously dust the root ball EVERY time I transplant and I also add a couple scoops into my soil mix any time I amend some soil to be going into a new container. Do not underestimate your rhizosphere

Epsom Salts - Magnesium Sulfate
LEDs increase the demand for Mg and this helps cover that demand. Overall plant health and nutrient uptake seems to improve when adding 1tbsp of Epsom Salt every 2 weeks

Gypsum - Calcium Sulfate
Decreases soil salinity and improves soil structure while also providing Calcium and Sulfate. 1tbsp of Gypsum every 2 weeks

Rock Dust Blend - micronutrients and humic acid
Used primarily to supplement micronutrients that may be lacking. Overall plant health and lushness improved since I started adding 2tbsp every 2 weeks

Pretty much once you get started you are either amending or top dressing in 4 week blocks, adding supplemental nutrients every 2 weeks, and then you just water your plants. Good luck and happy growing!
Would it be beneficial to water with kelp and mollassas tea every watering?or is that overkill?

G

georginaisle

Also,what is better for organic soil,plastic pots or fabric pots?

G

georginaisle

Im on a budget and fabric pots are mmuch cheaper and reusable at least twice....downside is plastic can be used over and over...and i believe with fabric you have to water a lot more.im going to keep loiking for a deal in plastic 5 gallon pots...i want to add 3 gallons of soil and every time i ammend add a half gallon of fresh soil.its hard to work in ammendments with that hard well rooted soil.

simonkay

simonkay

Also,what is better for organic soil,plastic pots or fabric pots?
Honestly I think it comes down to climates, I found in somewhere with high humidity like me the plastic pots stayed wet/humid too long and fabric is perfect.
Conversely I've heard growmies in las Vegas say they prefer the plastic for opposite reasons.

_MrPurple_

_MrPurple_

Mid flower phase, week 3 or 4 of flower: top dress 3tbsp of 25% All Purpose 4-4-4 and 75% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 4tbsp of 4-4-4 and 12tbsp of 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
Forgive me if it's been clarified but those doses seem high - 3tbsp per gallon ratio is for amending soil, not top dressing. For top dressing Gaia recommends 1tbsp per gallon so 5tbsp per 5 gallon pot.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Forgive me if it's been clarified but those doses seem high - 3tbsp per gallon ratio is for amending soil, not top dressing. For top dressing Gaia recommends 1tbsp per gallon so 5tbsp per 5 gallon pot.
It does seem high, but it runs great been using the same method since it was originally posted

Minor adjustments but the numbers are close, last run I did 3.5tbs per gal on top dress

First pic is of bud off a 2.5tbs/gal mix and 2nd pic and rest is of 3.5tbs/ gal mix just before harvest as well (same ratios used at top dress as amending

IMG 0387
IMG 0172
IMG 0170
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I also have been using Shaded's method. It has worked well for me. I usually use 3 tbsp per gallon for top dressing. The one exception is a test plant I just harvested. I top dressed it using 1 tbsp and it didn't seem like enough. The plant yielded well, though, despite not having grown as tall as expected.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I also have been using Shaded's method. It has worked well for me. I usually use 3 tbsp per gallon for top dressing. The one exception is a test plant I just harvested. I top dressed it using 1 tbsp and it didn't seem like enough. The plant yielded well, though, despite not having grown as tall as expected.
Good to know! I’ve been running with 3tbs / gal and up to 3.5 tbs gal on top dress I yeilded approx 1/4 total weight more per plant on the higher dosing rates maybe I’ll try a 2tbs gal run just to compare

G

georginaisle

It does seem high, but it runs great been using the same method since it was originally posted

Minor adjustments but the numbers are close, last run I did 3.5tbs per gal on top dress

First pic is of bud off a 2.5tbs/gal mix and 2nd pic and rest is of 3.5tbs/ gal mix just before harvest as well (same ratios used at top dress as amending
Beautiful!!

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter

C02 used? That might have played into the equation. I'm asking because my last grow in 10 gallon pots with just 5 tablespoon top dressing burned them a little. Drop dead gorgeous plants by the way.

C

Ceddysinatra

Hello and welcome to my "Growing with Gaia Green" guide! Figured I would just make a post that can be referenced instead of constantly writing this out in DM's or threads. Gaia Green products are 100% organic dry amendments for cannabis use. They are a Canadian based company but they also sell their product in the USA as well. They have a lot of products to offer and you may find a specific use for some of them due to your variables but I am just going to focus on what I personally use in my stack.

View attachment 1261673View attachment 1261674View attachment 1261675View attachment 1261678View attachment 1261681

Sprout phase, ~1 week: NO nutrients are being added to the growing medium. Earth worm castings & cotyledons provide more than enough nutrition for the first 2 weeks of a seeds life
-transplant to 1gallon-
Early veg phase, 4 weeks: amend 3tbsp of 100% All Purpose 4-4-4 per gallon of medium eg. 3tbsp of 4-4-4 for a 1gallon container
Late veg phase if needed, 4 weeks: top dress 3tbsp of 100% All Purpose 4-4-4 per gallon of medium eg. 3tbsp of 4-4-4 for a 1 gallon container
-transplant to 5gallon-
Early flower phase, 1 week before flipping lights: amend 3tbsp of 50% All Purpose 4-4-4 and 50% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 8tbsp of 4-4-4 and 8tbsp of 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
Late flower phase, sativa plants: if you have a sativa plant chances are they may need an additional weeks of growing time so you could do a light top dress 2tbsp of 100% Power Bloom 2-8-4 per gallon of medium eg. 10tbsp of 100% Power Bloom 2-8-4 for a 5gallon container
-harvest-

This is the basic feed schedule and this is a FULL STRENGTH feeding regiment meaning you are pushing your plant pretty hard. Certain strains and different growing environments may mean that you might only need to use 2/3 of what I have here for amounts. I recommend starting off with 2/3 of what is listed and increasing to full amounts if you're certain that your plants can handle it.

Additional supplements that I use are:

Mycorrhizae
I generously dust the root ball EVERY time I transplant and I also add a couple scoops into my soil mix any time I amend some soil to be going into a new container. Do not underestimate your rhizosphere

Epsom Salts - Magnesium Sulfate
LEDs increase the demand for Mg and this helps cover that demand. Overall plant health and nutrient uptake seems to improve when adding 1tbsp of Epsom Salt every 2 weeks

Gypsum - Calcium Sulfate
Decreases soil salinity and improves soil structure while also providing Calcium and Sulfate. 1tbsp of Gypsum every 2 weeks

Rock Dust Blend - micronutrients and humic acid
Used primarily to supplement micronutrients that may be lacking. Overall plant health and lushness improved since I started adding 2tbsp every 2 weeks

Pretty much once you get started you are either amending or top dressing in 4 week blocks, adding supplemental nutrients every 2 weeks, and then you just water your plants. Good luck and happy growing!
Are you letting the soil cook before you transplant or do you amend same day as transplant?

perd

perd

Hello all growmies! Beginner here, I am planning on doing seedling to early veg in solo cups then doing a single transplant to 3 gallon final pot. Want to keep transplanting to a minimum as I know it stresses them out.

Shade's guide shows to transplant twice. Is it possible to condense it for single transplant or is it better to transplant in between solo cup and 3 gallon? Like go to 1 gallon then to 3gal? I am still figuring a lot out, base medium to get. I was all set on coco/perlite/worm casting blend, but read its hard to maintain with GG- is this actually true? Anyway thank you all for your input, I think I read this thread like three times already and its a goldmine of info!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hello all growmies! Beginner here, I am planning on doing seedling to early veg in solo cups then doing a single transplant to 3 gallon final pot. Want to keep transplanting to a minimum as I know it stresses them out.

Shade's guide shows to transplant twice. Is it possible to condense it for single transplant or is it better to transplant in between solo cup and 3 gallon? Like go to 1 gallon then to 3gal? I am still figuring a lot out, base medium to get. I was all set on coco/perlite/worm casting blend, but read its hard to maintain with GG- is this actually true? Anyway thank you all for your input, I think I read this thread like three times already and its a goldmine of info!
Welcome to the farm. It would definitely be better to start a new thread.

I stopped doing the transplants, so I'll let those who do explain why they do it.

It is indeed possible to do fewer transplants, or even no transplants. Plants do grow differently when they begin their life in a larger pot. I don't consider that to be bad, though. It's only different.

perd

perd

Welcome to the farm. It would definitely be better to start a new thread.

I stopped doing the transplants, so I'll let those who do explain why they do it.

It is indeed possible to do fewer transplants, or even no transplants. Plants do grow differently when they begin their life in a larger pot. I don't consider that to be bad, though. It's only different.
Thank you for the quick reply! Ill make a new thread with my previous Q. I thought of just using the 3 gal from seed to flower but a bit stumped on how I'd utilize the dry amendments that way - would I just top dress throughout the grow? Way I see transplanting is another method in getting more nutrient rich soil for late veg into flower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom