Hempy Buckets

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks man, appriciate that. Yes Iv popped em, my journal is in Grow Diares called Hempy LED grow DP Power Plant.

You grow the hempys yourself?

C

Cousin Eddie

I'm thinking about running some hempy buckets. One thing I understand is that the explosive growth doesn't really start until the roots hit the bottom 2" "reservoir." What about drilling the first set of holes higher than 2", at maybe 5" up (or even higher), so as to elevate the water level allowing roots to hit water faster, and then later drilling lower holes to drop the water level as the roots grow? One potential issue I can foresee is the medium, especially perlite, becoming too "floaty" if it's not fully saturated. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts on it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My initial thoughts, as someone who's done perlite hempy, is that floating isn't so much an issue as keep the reservoir full may be. It's more nutrients to mix up. What if, instead of making the reservoir deeper, you let the plants grow longer roots?

F

Flexy123

I'm thinking about running some hempy buckets. One thing I understand is that the explosive growth doesn't really start until the roots hit the bottom 2" "reservoir." What about drilling the first set of holes higher than 2", at maybe 5" up (or even higher), so as to elevate the water level allowing roots to hit water faster, and then later drilling lower holes to drop the water level as the roots grow? One potential issue I can foresee is the medium, especially perlite, becoming too "floaty" if it's not fully saturated. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts on it?

I don't have "scientific" data, just one very good post from another forum where they found the usual 2" height of the reservoir at the bottom optimal. I guess it's a balance that you want a good root system established first and not spoil the plants with the reservoir too early on.

Otherwise there would be limitless ways of DIY, say you could build some type of pot with a tray/container at the bottom where you can adjust and slide up/down the reservoir from the outside. That would be relatively easy to make. But I just THINK it makes sense to first have the plants establish roots.

As for hempies in general, I really LOVE them, just started two grows in my test hempies, I like them because there are INFINITE ways how you can grow and how you can tweak them. For example, the idea to put Hempies in a slightly bigger outer tray (external reservoir), and also in combination with textile grow bags/air pots. This all can be done! If you have an external reservoir (outer pot) you can use them (airpots etc.) and combine hempy/hydro with air pruning..this sounds totally amazing. And of course countless ways for automating them as well with drippers etc. if you really would like to.

As for now (it's still chilly here although in Southern Spain), I do NOT see that I need to water them more as my soil grows, this with 3:1 perlite/vermiculite mix. I think it holds water just right. My next ones I'll likely do with the external reservoir (simply a container/tray) with air pots, then I can also see how much they drink. And possibly connecting a pump and drop an airstone in each tray too.

Top Bottom