Home design LED

• Thread starter Mactabak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mactabak

I'm going to go off track to start with to give you all an insight into how I'm getting to the finished product.
I fly RC aircraft, both helis & fixed wing & I also fly at nights! Just look at my avatar to see the result of an aircraft with different coloured LED strips.
These strips come in 1 metre lengths & can be cut at every 3 LED's if needed, but I doubt you will have to cut except at the 50cm mark.
If you get a solid backplate of 50cm x 50cm, then all you would need is 25 strips of red/blue LED's. Each strip consumes 400ma per metre at 12v.
This will mean that you would need a PSU of 12VDC @ 10A (120W) (a computer PSU can easily supply this). If you want to see how to use a computer power supply as a DC power source have a look at this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6OnobY0IYA&feature=related

The LED strips can be bought for most RC aircraft stores or even better direct from Hong Kong:-
Blue LED strip = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14288
Red LED strip = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14286
(No I dont have shares in the company before anyone asks) The cost per meter is $7.22 (Total for LED strips = $180)

There are 60 LED's per strip making a grand total of 1500 LED's!!!! These are super bright by the way.
I havent built my own yet as I am not growing as such, but in the near future I hope to start a few plants on the go, so its just my research & hope that you LED growers would like to give it a try, its far cheaper than the rip off commercial prices.

Mac

S

SSC

Sorry buddy but I think you missing the mark. Yes these will give off the color blue and red BUT what wavelength will you acheive? Not only what the LED's are designed at a particular nm but also it depends on how you drive them. Dont think they would work that good for a real good grow. I would love to see some pics from you if you do grow with them. Good luck

M

Mactabak

I was going to try it myself, but another forum I belong to said LED's suck, so I never got around to it...went HPS in the end, though I use CFL's for veg.

Mac

R

recreationaluse

I was going to try it myself, but another forum I belong to said LED's suck, so I never got around to it...went HPS in the end, though I use CFL's for veg.

Mac
with so many led brands out there i agree that most leds suck but not all. ive had comparable results with a good expensive brand drawing 143 watts vs my old 439 watt hps on a small 4 plant grow

M

Mactabak

I've still to see a real grow from start to finish alongside a HPS grow of the same variety of weed!!

R

recreationaluse

I've still to see a real grow from start to finish alongside a HPS grow of the same variety of weed!!
and you wont till you do it yourself. just dont be cheap get you a good led unit and you will be impressed

M

Mactabak

Cant afford one at the moment, spending too much on an octocopter as it is!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
There are a few side by sides on youtube, pretty clear who the winner is IMO

Tex

S

sarahwilson

I don't know why you people are not happy with LED. There are many good quality LED lights are available. But don't go for cheap. I have used them. They are long lasting, efficient and in trend. Try them...

Top Bottom