How do I proceed after an extreme dry back?

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I let my plants go WAY to long and they looked like hell (it was a shock and im stupid). I watered them in with their transition feed and they are needing another watering sooner than usual. MY QUESTION is do I just give them water no feed this next watering (today)? My better judgment tells me not to water with the feed this soon after already feeding. First pic before water second pic after water the next morning. Thanks for taking a look.
How do i proceed after an extreme dry back
How do i proceed after an extreme dry back 2

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Whatever you choose to do with water or feed, do it SLOWLY. Give them a full slow saturation until a slow runoff. Should take 25-30 min when done ideally.
Thanks for the reply! So would feeding with this watering im doing later this afternoon harm the plant? The feed is a transition to bloom feed. I dont think it would “burn” the plants but my concern is giving them to much of the other stuff thus causing a lock out or some other unforeseen reaction (im very new to this game). Here’s a pic of the food they get : )
D087448F 6E6C 4769 9840 2E8D85816609

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I wouldnt feed them again. I wouldnt have fed them, after the dry back.

When plants/medium gets extremely dry/plants wilting. You are concentrating the dissolved solids, and when watered, the dissolved solids are rehydrated, in greatly concentrated form, and if fed again, at this time, you greatly increase the chance of fertilizer burn.
Do what Groower1974 said.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
If you have a TDS/EC/PPM meter, it might be helpful/interesting to get a reading on the runoff from your next watering. Just to try to get a sense of how much salt is in the pot.
Those readings would be taken from just a watering with no food correct? I had a meter and then started seeing it more and more here that it isn’t imperative to have or check that kind of thing with soil : ) ill put one back on the list as now im seeing why I would need one lol. The more one gets involved or has issues the better it is to be able to look into the problem with specialized equipment, thanks Artful!!!

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Those readings would be taken from just a watering with no food correct? I had a meter and then started seeing it more and more here that it isn’t imperative to have or check that kind of thing with soil : ) ill put one back on the list as now im seeing why I would need one lol. The more one gets involved or has issues the better it is to be able to look into the problem with specialized equipment, thanks Artful!!!
If I'm running soil and synthetic nutes, I check runoff EC every time I water or feed. It depends on your grow style. Folks running living soil or other organic-only systems typically don't focus much on EC. If you're feeding synthetic nutes, I think it's helpful, especially starting out. I also like to know what my input EC is...to avoid giving too much at once.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
If I'm running soil and synthetic nutes, I check runoff EC every time I water or feed. It depends on your grow style. Folks running living soil or other organic-only systems typically don't focus much on EC. If you're feeding synthetic nutes, I think it's helpful, especially starting out. I also like to know what my input EC is...to avoid giving too much at once.
Throwing out variables I didnt even consider : ) thank you for the explanation!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
@ArtfulCodger something like this (budget is very tight at the moment for grow equipment) VIVOSUN Digital pH and TDS Meter Kits, 0.01pH High Accuracy Pen Type pH Meter ± 2% Readout Accuracy 3-in-1 TDS EC Temperature Meter for Hydroponics, Household Drinking, and Aquarium, UL Certified https://a.co/d/b91lmI2

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

@ArtfulCodger something like this (budget is very tight at the moment for grow equipment) VIVOSUN Digital pH and TDS Meter Kits, 0.01pH High Accuracy Pen Type pH Meter ± 2% Readout Accuracy 3-in-1 TDS EC Temperature Meter for Hydroponics, Household Drinking, and Aquarium, UL Certified https://a.co/d/b91lmI2
I started with something similar. Eventually, I got fed up with wonky readings and upgraded, but those will get the job done. Just keep the probes clean, do whatever the manual suggests for storage, and when things get wonky, put in fresh batteries.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I started with something similar. Eventually, I got fed up with wonky readings and upgraded, but those will get the job done. Just keep the probes clean, do whatever the manual suggests for storage, and when things get wonky, put in fresh batteries.
Thanks Artful! 🙏They’ll be here tomorrow : )

N

Natep

I let my plants go WAY to long and they looked like hell (it was a shock and im stupid). I watered them in with their transition feed and they are needing another watering sooner than usual. MY QUESTION is do I just give them water no feed this next watering (today)? My better judgment tells me not to water with the feed this soon after already feeding. First pic before water second pic after water the next morning. Thanks for taking a look.View attachment 2158115View attachment 2158116
You will need to wet them very slow. I would use a pump sprayer. It will help the soil become less hydrophobic.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
You will need to wet them very slow. I would use a pump sprayer. It will help the soil become less hydrophobic.
I have some 1L bottles with tiny holes drilled in them and have been working the water in slowly. They just took 2 L over the last couple of hours. My pump sprayer broke early on in this endeavor, I was trying to water them as seedlings. It’s on the list of things to get ( might try or need to do some foiler feeding at some point) or, hopefully not again water lol! Thanks for the info : )

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

About this item​

• REPAIRS HYDROPHOBIC SOILS: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet allows water to enter the plant in the same way as a conventional wetting agent. This natural surfactant enhances the uptake of nutrients, whilst promoting a healthy soil profile. GS Plant Foods Liquid Yucca Wet Extract breaks down the waxy coating that prevents water from entering the plant. In the case of excessive mineral buildup, yucca extract will reduce the amount of water necessary to flush the soil. This helps to fix hydrophobic soils.
  • EXCELLENT WETTING AGENT & SURFACTANT: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet extract contains organic molecules that directly protect plants against damage from environmental stress. Yucca plants are great at sequestering and using water. Yucca is high in natural wetting agents called saponins. Saponins are steroidal-based natural chemicals that actually make water wetter, breaking the polarity of the water molecule. Apply it whenever plants are stressed due to heat, drought or hydrophobic soil conditions.
  • MADE FROM YUCCA SCHIDIGERA: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet is made from Yucca Schidigera (60% Saponin), a natural wetting agent and surfactant. This allows for plants and soils to uptake and retain water and nutrients, penetrating deeper into the plant’s root zone. Water and nutrients can be efficiently absorbed by leaves, and Yucca Wet greatly improves this efficiency. Leaves have a natural coating of cuticle cells that help plants retain water and form a barrier against environmental stressors.
  • EASY TO APPLY FOR NATURAL GREAT RESULTS: Yucca Wet extract is a natural surfactant that breaks up the water droplets and allows the water to spread out on the leaf surface in a thin film. The film and nutrients allows the water to be absorbed more evenly by the plant, and doesn’t leave spots behind on the leaves. For foliar applications; mix 1-2 teaspoons with 1 gallon of water. For hydroponics; mix 1 teaspoon with 1 gallon of water. For soil drench; mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter

About this item​

• REPAIRS HYDROPHOBIC SOILS: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet allows water to enter the plant in the same way as a conventional wetting agent. This natural surfactant enhances the uptake of nutrients, whilst promoting a healthy soil profile. GS Plant Foods Liquid Yucca Wet Extract breaks down the waxy coating that prevents water from entering the plant. In the case of excessive mineral buildup, yucca extract will reduce the amount of water necessary to flush the soil. This helps to fix hydrophobic soils.
  • EXCELLENT WETTING AGENT & SURFACTANT: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet extract contains organic molecules that directly protect plants against damage from environmental stress. Yucca plants are great at sequestering and using water. Yucca is high in natural wetting agents called saponins. Saponins are steroidal-based natural chemicals that actually make water wetter, breaking the polarity of the water molecule. Apply it whenever plants are stressed due to heat, drought or hydrophobic soil conditions.
  • MADE FROM YUCCA SCHIDIGERA: GS Plant Foods Yucca Wet is made from Yucca Schidigera (60% Saponin), a natural wetting agent and surfactant. This allows for plants and soils to uptake and retain water and nutrients, penetrating deeper into the plant’s root zone. Water and nutrients can be efficiently absorbed by leaves, and Yucca Wet greatly improves this efficiency. Leaves have a natural coating of cuticle cells that help plants retain water and form a barrier against environmental stressors.
  • EASY TO APPLY FOR NATURAL GREAT RESULTS: Yucca Wet extract is a natural surfactant that breaks up the water droplets and allows the water to spread out on the leaf surface in a thin film. The film and nutrients allows the water to be absorbed more evenly by the plant, and doesn’t leave spots behind on the leaves. For foliar applications; mix 1-2 teaspoons with 1 gallon of water. For hydroponics; mix 1 teaspoon with 1 gallon of water. For soil drench; mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
View attachment 2158358
Have you ever had use this product?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Have you ever had use this product?
Ive used Yucca. Not this specific product. But as long as is unadultered Yucca. Its all the same.
Yucca, has been used a long time as a surfactant.

Wetting Agents in Growing Medium​

Sphagnum peat moss, bark and possibly compost can be hard to wet with water. Wetting agents are incorporated in traditional growing media to help hard-to-wet components absorb water, but they cannot be used for certified organic growing. Hence, yucca-based wetting agents are used as many are approved for certified organic growing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom