How Many Plants?

• Thread starter Dawgpistils
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Papa Indica

Papa Indica

That Cataract is an Indica dominant hybrid that can be flipped about 45 days from seed and give you a good size plant with heavy yield and excellent flavor and high.

D

Dawgpistils

With soil you're looking more like 8-9 weeks of veg to get a heavily indica dominant plant a foot tall. In flower it will stretch maybe another foot. Another 8-9 weeks for flower and hope nothing goes wrong. You are working too much on your end results instead of concentrating on the plants behaviour and needs to reach the finish line. Only thing you seem to be worried about in is how much you're gonna pull in shortest possible period of time. May I suggest you start working your way up at the basics.

I'm sorry mate but I don't want to scrog a plant or 2 for months I'm not looking past the basics just to get some smoke I'm asking for opinions on a certain time frame and specified that I want to run this way I'm trying to be as efficient as I can as I don't have or want another clone/veg area or another tent I'm sorry but I'm not trying to sound smart all I am asking is how to make most use of my space for that certain amount of time for veg as I say I'm new to this and sure I could throw 5 plants in there vegged for a month and then realised after harvest that I could have fit 4 more or one les
With soil you're looking more like 8-9 weeks of veg to get a heavily indica dominant plant a foot tall. In flower it will stretch maybe another foot. Another 8-9 weeks for flower and hope nothing goes wrong. You are working too much on your end results instead of concentrating on the plants behaviour and needs to reach the finish line. Only thing you seem to be worried about in is how much you're gonna pull in shortest possible period of time. May I suggest you start working your way up at the basics.

I know but I'm trying to get as quick harvest without growing auto's or doing sog I just have only need for one tent at this time I know I could scrog a few plants but that's extra time that I'd rather not have
My preference would be to as stated month veg
Everyone to their own I suppose maybe you like a 3 month scrog or certain training
But for me Im not trying to rush my first grow and forget about some basic principles I suppose I'll gain knowledge from experience but I'm trying to be efficient in a way, Thanks

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

9 plants would be pretty tight in a 3 x 3. You could do it but, by the time they've hit full flower I would imagine they're gonna be so tight together that your 400 isn't gonna be able to penetrate the canopy for shit. Being stuffed in tight together can also contribute to problems like pm, imo.
I have a 4 x 4 for flowering and 9 plants is doable but, snug.
Not to keep trying to push the Cataract but, it's a great plant for that, you can grow it untopped and it will grow staying pretty much right within the footprint of a 3 gallon pot and produce very well and it really is some excellent smoke.

D

Dawgpistils

I would invest in an assortment of sizes for transplanting as roots fill each pot.
"4, 1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3 gallons & some 5 gallons.

I personally have a 2x2 tent and if I had used 1 gallon pots as my final size. I could have squeezed 9 pots in there touching each other.

But since I'm mainlining. My goal was four 3 gallon pots and big bushes.

I just transplanted my 5 plants into 2 gallon pots in my 2x2 tent. If I get no males they will finish out in them. But if I get 1 male they go into the 3 gallon pots.

So really you will have to be prepared for whatever may happen. You could end up with 1 female out of 9 and need to grow a monster in 1 big pot to compensate. Or 9 females all left in little pots (maybe 1 gallon).
Or anything in between. It's like playing the lottery.

Just been watching some mainlining videos and got to say that it looks great aiming for 8 main tops
Do you let the plants grow 5 or 6 nodes then top it at the forth and use them as your mainline of course clearing every thing else below the 4th node and top the tops each side of the manifold

D

Dawgpistils

9 plants would be pretty tight in a 3 x 3. You could do it but, by the time they've hit full flower I would imagine they're gonna be so tight together that your 400 isn't gonna be able to penetrate the canopy for shit. Being stuffed in tight together can also contribute to problems like pm, imo.
I have a 4 x 4 for flowering and 9 plants is doable but, snug.
Not to keep trying to push the Cataract but, it's a great plant for that, you can grow it untopped and it will grow staying pretty much right within the footprint of a 3 gallon pot and produce very well and it really is some excellent smoke.

Yep I like the look of cataract kush and also blue kush

As I'll be using a 400 watt hps in a 3x3 I probably would do 5 or 6

I'm now really liking the main line idea as my 400 watter would be more effective with a not so dense canopy and consider maybe 4 plants x 8 tops

Would the kushs be a candidate for mainlining?

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Would the kushs be a candidate for mainlining?
I don't see why not but, in my experience with the Cataract, you're just as well off letting it go untopped and with it's structure you would be just fine if you're gonna stick with 5-6 in that size tent with that light.
You sounded as if you wanted to be able to move things right along, mainlining is gonna add a hell of a lot of time to your veg.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Just been watching some mainlining videos and got to say that it looks great aiming for 8 main tops
Do you let the plants grow 5 or 6 nodes then top it at the forth and use them as your mainline of course clearing every thing else below the 4th node and top the tops each side of the manifold

I waited until I saw the 5th and 6 nodes growing as a growth tips.
Then I waited until I saw the 2 baby growth tips developing good before I removed the upper portion.

I then trimmed the lower growth as well, but left the 2 fan leaves connected to the 3rd node where the new branches I wanted to develop were forming.

This technique is great if looking for mainly high quality cola's on your plants.

I would aim for 4 tops first time.
Because an 8 top plant can get quite bushy depending on how many plants you stuff in your tent.

The grow in my signature will give you a good idea of daily progression up to today. I aimed for 4 cola's.

And another great mainlining thread is @ArcticOrange 's thread here.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/organic-main-line-nl5xhaze-indoor.77512/

He grew some bushes for only having 4 main cola's.

I must say the bonsai like training is fun. And most of the work is at the beginning of the plants life. Once done sit back and watch it grow.

I'm at 46 days now and about to flower.
So 4 cola's mainlining only added about 2 weeks to the total veg time.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

So 4 cola's mainlining only added about 2 weeks to the total veg time.
Really? That's all? Well, I stand corrected. I had been talking about trying this with a buddy and he seemed pretty sure it would add a bit of time to my veg, he's more experienced than me so, I figured he was probably right, kinda made sense. That's not bad at all.

D

Dawgpistils

I don't see why not but, in my experience with the Cataract, you're just as well off letting it go untopped and with it's structure you would be just fine if you're gonna stick with 5-6 in that size tent with that light.
You sounded as if you wanted to be able to move things right along, mainlining is gonna add a hell of a lot of time to your veg.

I think I'll get the 6 pack of C K along with the blue kush to save on shipping next time around

I'm on the look for a cheap complete tent kit my budget is small but I've been looking on amazon and eBay half the price of what they are in my local grow shops any recommended brands for a tight budget

Hopefully I'll be up and running in the next three weeks just want to get all I need so I won't be missing any important tools

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Really? That's all? Well, I stand corrected. I had been talking about trying this with a buddy and he seemed pretty sure it would add a bit of time to my veg, he's more experienced than me so, I figured he was probably right, kinda made sense. That's not bad at all.

Yeah it's not too bad @Papa Indica .
If I had gone with 8 tops maybe another week.

But 4 seemed good for a first time. I'm watching them blow up now that topping training is done.
I'm hoping they don't outgrow my space now lol.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I think I'll get the 6 pack of C K along with the blue kush to save on shipping next time around

I'm on the look for a cheap complete tent kit my budget is small but I've been looking on amazon and eBay half the price of what they are in my local grow shops any recommended brands for a tight budget

Hopefully I'll be up and running in the next three weeks just want to get all I need so I won't be missing any important tools
I love my Apollo Horticulture tents, they are definitely inexpensive too, I didn't have a lot to spend when I got mine. I love the different venting options I have with my 4 x 4 and they've worked very well for me, no complaints at all. All metal corners too, no plastic shit.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter

Secret jardin and gorilla tents are 2 reputable tent makers.

You dont want to go too cheap or you may come home one day to find your charcoal filter, can fan, and light fixture have broken the cheap support bars. Also tent material thickness of cheaper tents allow more light leaks in.

But I agree that buying anything online is usually %50 cheaper than in any store.

Retail stores have over %100 markups to account for things like employee wages, electricity, building rental, and profit.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I do all my shopping online, my disability keeps me home, my cousin will tell me about prices on different things at the grow store sometimes, makes me cringe, glad I don't pay some of those prices.

D

Dawgpistils

Yeah it's not too bad @Papa Indica .
If I had gone with 8 tops maybe another week.

But 4 seemed good for a first time. I'm watching them blow up now that topping training is done.
I'm hoping they don't outgrow my space now lol.

I meant 4 tops each side If that's what you meant lol

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Flipped mine at 7 weeks poppa and they got to big on me, literally light is hanging at highest position and it was perfect but still a little big for my light.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

If that's the case I should flip tonight instead of tomorrow lol.
I had some stretchers as well the indicas probably could take 7 weeks in my space. Ill see on this next run got some heavy indica beans popped and in the soil.

Top Bottom