Introducing The Sun Cloak Vertical

• Thread starter TomTrichrome
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Flowering a week later Oct. 18th (beginning of week 4)-initial signs of “bud swell”
October 18th 2015

⦁ As the buds start to put on their initial weight during the 4th week of flower, I noticed that the lower canopy was growing at a similar rate and size, as the upper canopy.
⦁ Due to the Sun Cloak vertical panel design, light is able to penetrate to the lower canopy. What Iv'e seen, as a result of this light penetration, is larger lower canopy growth thats more comparable to the growth of secondary top Kolas.
⦁ For me personally this was big! No more “Lolli-Popping” lower branches or just striping them in hopes it diverts the energy to the upper canopy. Now, as a result of the evenly dispersed light penetration, the lower canopy can not only be salvaged, its size and quality will contribute to the overall yield.

The Upper Canopy
Week%204%20of%20flower%20pic%201.jpg

Size and Maturation in comparison to the lower canopy..(lowest branch to the container)
week%204%20of%20flower%20pic%202.jpg

So something that i'm noticing is that the size of the lower canopy is growing comparable to the size and rate of the secondary, upper canopy "Kolas"...

If you have liked this grow journal so far, you all are really gonna like weeks 5-7. (its when things get real chunky)

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

October 20th 2015-2 days later (end of week 4 of Bloom
Hey all, Tommie Trichrome checking in again..

At the end of the 4th week of flower here and the terpene production is really ramping up. (I can smell my house before turning down the block)
This is what I like to see at this stage, the "swell or chunk" starting to show... from here, to pretty much the end of week 7 is where the calyx's really begin to beef up.
Flowering%20-End%20of%20Week%204.jpg

the development and shape of these nugs has that standard GDP, Grape ape strain quality to their appearance and smell, but further, in this stage they are gaining their density.
Flowering%20-End%20of%20Week%204-pic%202.jpg

Throughout this grow journal, reviewing the SunCloak system, I haven't had any negative hindrances so far... As long as I feed them daily, and maintain the container moisture, this is really automated system. I just feed/and water and let the plants do their thing, and haven't seen any bleaching, stress or adverse signals, which the plants display when stress'n.

The ambient environment stays consistent (hum/temp), which means if I don't have to worry about the grow environment, then that gives me the time to utilize my energy elsewhere.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You have no ventalation besides opening and closing the tent?

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

October 23rd 2015, Start of week 5 of Bloom
Hey Forum Readers,
another update. Going into week 5 and things are going great. when I post week 7-8 you can see the purps really start coming in.
week%205%20of%20flower%202.jpg
Week%205%20of%20flower.jpg

Week%205%20lower%20canopy.JPG

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Coming into week 6 and I am excited with the results i've received with LEDs.

so this is my week 6 update and I plan to be harvesting in week 8. So all in all these leds have kept up the pace, and given me the great results id expect with other HID lighting, but straight cut my elect. bill.

week%206%20flower.jpg

week%205%20of%20flower%202.jpg

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Going back and answering a post about PAR measure and intensity.....

So Par has to do with the intensity of light as its dispersed on a space/plan/area...

IN conventional horizontal hung lighting. the intensity of PAR would be directed on the top canopy, with the par dispersing as you get farther from the light source. So the top canopy could be receiving 1000w of par, but the lower canopy, after disbursement of intensity, is only receiving 200w because of less saturation.

With this sort of vertical placement and amount of LED diodes, Par is almost irreconcilable with this system...

Since this LED system allows for a complete saturation of everything (upper and lower canopy) the disbursement of light intensity on a given area is irrelevant. With high output LED diodes facing every angle of the plants, there is no need to measure a single area to measure the light intensity and disbursement, but due to the even saturation at all angles of the plant, measuring the par on the upper canopy seem to serve little purpose.

So instead of taking a light source and focusing all the energy on just one area of the plant (top canopy), This sort of vertical LEDS is offering a complete cloaking or saturation of every leaf, no matter where on the plant. Essentially, there is no high intensity point in the grow area. everything is evenly dispersed which offers a complete saturation, which the plants thrive from.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Question please

I have seen manufacturers state that pants should be x distance from the lights ( even with led ) to avoid light bleaching, however, it appears from your pics that the plants are almost right up in the lights. Has the light bleaching problem been worked out?

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

I never personally had a bleeding problem with LEDs. I know some clan that they have problems touching LEDs but with my system I've been able to have the plants touch the LEDs for long extended periods of time with no bleeding problems at all

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

Hey THC-F Community,

Finishing up week 6 of flower and i'm now staring to flush my ladies. All i can say is this have been a really easy grow.

I haven't had to worry about the environmental controls in any way. Basically, when I leave my house, I can rest assure that the temps/humidity and overall environment will be the same as I left it. Thats huge for me. I have had countless experiences with leaving the house for work or school, and due to something (power outage, timer did not turn on, etc.), I return to a major problem with the environment and have to do a quick fix just to get the room stable again. Since using LEDs I haven't had to do this once...further my plants can touch the LEDs and I don't have to worry about bleaching, which means i can really utilize my space.

Here are my result finishing week 6...9 plants in a 4x4' tent...using vertical LEDs

end%20of%20week%206-11.JPG

end%20of%20week%206-12.JPG

End%20of%20week%206.JPG

End%20of%20week%206-5.JPG

end%20of%20week%206-9.JPG

end%20of%20week%206-10.JPG

End%20of%20week%206-7.JPG

end%20of%20week%206-15.JPG

Last edited:
TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

So now we are pretty much caught up (in real time to where i am in my grow) i'm just starting week 7 and have started flushing. I anyone has any advice for the last couple week (involving LEDS, or the strain i"m growing (grape ape)) please chime in.

I already have in the works the next grow journal i'm planing./.. and this time i'm thinking heavier yielding sativas...(doing SD, Blue Dream and Dream Queen)

So just a heads up, I'm already planning my next grow journal using this vertical LED system and will be posting it weekly after this journal is finished and the results posted...
Lates..

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

What are some of you LED growers pulling in a 4x4 space? I'm trying to learn any tips or tricks to the LED game, any advice or experiences?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
How many supplimental HPS bulbs you running with those Christmas lights? I can see the reflection from a large single bulb, I'm guessing a couple 600w.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

If it costs 2 grand it better air condition my house and trim the bud for me too.

TomTrichrome

TomTrichrome

How many supplimental HPS bulbs you running with those Christmas lights? I can see the reflection from a large single bulb, I'm guessing a couple 600w.
No sup. lighting. there's no overhead or other room lighting, to light up the front of the tent use another light to get better photos. i use my cell phone camera which either there is not enough room to get a far back picture with enough detail, or i have to get close. Your getting reflection from the lights brought in to get better photos, and flash. also the leaf chlorosis is everywhere, which is adding to the yellow appearance.
nov%204th.JPG

pic%20nov%204th%202.jpg

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Looks great, anxious to hear your harvest results with those LED`s. The best that I have got , from one plant was 6 oz`s, dried and cured. This was one of my first grows, when I did not know anything about what I was doing. Now, with some experience, the most that I have gotten was around 4 oz`s. Go figure.
PS,
What would the cost be for the 4 lights that you are using to light your 4 x 4 space ?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Spendy for a 2' height.

clear1x1.gif
Light Column Height: 24" Light Columns
32" Light Columns [Add $30.00] copied and pasted from the site.
I wonder if the $30 for the 32" is per column?

Latest posts

Top Bottom