Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint

• Thread starter Harley.Freeman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hippyt

Heya,

I am trying to figure out how to use this site and post on this forum... lol. I have literally never posted on a forum ever and I've tried to start a thread like 2 or 3 times, just so I can have an open platform/conversation with some knowledgeable folks to see if I can get anybody to respond about any problems I may come across or even if I can help answer any questions as well!

I have a question about my two girls in early veg.

About two days ago now I topped these girls and also did a little defoliating

I gave them a feeding later in the day, the pot felt like the right weight and relatively light. I wasn't liking the fox farm nutrients I had them on before so I went to something different ( Cold War Organic - Bud Bread - dry ), not liquid like the other stuff. I checked the ph and it seemed to be like 6.3 so I thought that would be alright, I mixed like 2/3 teaspoon to be safe and it recommended 1 whole teaspoon.

The leaves started looking as if they were curling up on the sides instead of of how they were which was nice big full leaves, I will attach pics though and there was also yellowish spots with a sort of glossyness with it as well

Idk if I they are okay and I should just leave them or if I need to think about doing something or make adjustments. I of course have been doing a lot of research but would like another opinion.

I'm not sure if its from the PH, maybe one of the nutrients in the CWO Bud Bread which is high in potassium and calcium, all of the other ingredients are below 5 percent. It could be the light but up until now I haven't had any issues that could possibly be from it( could be the height in which I have it but I have tried adjusting that as well. Air flow and circulation are good, no bugs from what I have seen.

I could use all the help I can get! Thanks guy!
Heat maybe or just part of life 😜 people freak out too fast just smoke a bowl and let them be I always say no matter what well excluding budrot just let them get ovet it 3-5 days so

wait 3-5 after you defoil before adding shit they recovery time for each strain is alil differnt some are finicky

H

hippyt

are you using purple lights? I have seen this happen but much worse on my friends' plants from his purple lights. they looked fake at the end almost like plastic.
Yes and always look for actual watts you want the most you can afford probably a 100 watt blurple if it says like a certain amount of watts don't get the thing save up remember the bare minimum for one plant is 100 actual watts for one plant and it won't be but a quarter of it's potential low THC waste of time

H

Harley.Freeman

Yes and always look for actual watts you want the most you can afford probably a 100 watt blurple if it says like a certain amount of watts don't get the thing save up remember the bare minimum for one plant is 100 actual watts for one plant and it won't be but a quarter of it's potential low THC waste of time
My current light is 750 watts and no purple lights like that other reply said. I have a few other lights though also if need be. I was going to try out side lighting this time around also to see if it can help them get to there full potential, we will see I guess lol. But I didn't know about the 100watt per plant thing so much appreciated for that info. The two older plants I have right now are on the lowest setting there light can go to because the light was too much for them, along with some other problems I was running into a couple weeks ago.

H

hippyt

Hard to say. Root rot really only occurs when you over water. It can happen otherways but thats it a lot of the time. The soil NEEDS to dry out to prevent bad bacteria from taking hold, as well as allowing your roots to uptake oxygen. Id bet money on heat or light stress though. If your keen on reading up on it just Google anaerobic bacteria and you'll see what I'm talking about and why root rot really only happens when you over water repeatedly, or just don't let the soil dry enough.

Should add, you don't want anaerobic bacteria in your soil. Or atleast not a lot of

My current light is 750 watts and no purple lights like that other reply said. I have a few other lights though also if need be. I was going to try out side lighting this time around also to see if it can help them get to there full potential, we will see I guess lol. But I didn't know about the 100watt per plant thing so much appreciated for that info. The two older plants I have right now are on the lowest setting there light can go to because the light was too much for them, along with some other problems I was running into a couple weeks ago.
I personally saw 2 people end up with a shit light I would say add some c02 with a 750 watt you goota supplement co2 after 1000 ppd I bet your over 1000 so co 2 could be your ticket idk if that 1000 thing is true me and my lil click go buy that I hope help have a good one

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

I was thinking about getting something more suited for seedlings going into veg or just early veg nutes. Is there anything you could suggest? Or in general are there any nutes you suggest? @GNick55
If your looking for a boost in early veg, use the basics. Worm castings. Light worm teas. When you transplant theres a plethora of things you can add to the hole to boost root development.

H

Harley.Freeman

So I was wondering,

I currently have my light sitting on the lowest setting right now only putting out 1/3 of it's power and its about 31 to 32 inches from the top of the more mature plants canopy and about 37 to 38 inches from the younger ones. I'm thinking I could turn it up to half capacity? and possibly bring another light in to help cover the whole tent? So all of the girls can get the light they need. Does anyone think its a good or bad idea? I figured since I have more ground to cover now that the younger plants are in bigger pot that I could maybe turn the power on the light up and maybe raise the light a little more to balance it out if need be? Let me know.

@GNick55
@Captspaulding
@Oldchucky
Or anybody else's advice

20240429 043531
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I would want them to have as much light as they can handle without complaining! I think there’s only one way to find out what that is. Just my two cents. Those big ones are going to be ready to flip way before the small ones. Have you given Any thought what you are going to do with the small ones when that time comes? Or do you think they will catch up? But I don’t grow under an adjustable light! So my opinion and one dollar will get you a cup of coffee!😀

H

Harley.Freeman

I would want them to have as much light as they can handle without complaining! I think there’s only one way to find out what that is. Just my two cents. Those big ones are going to be ready to flip way before the small ones. Have you given Any thought what you are going to do with the small ones when that time comes? Or do you think they will catch up? But I don’t grow under an adjustable light! So my opinion and one dollar will get you a cup of coffee!😀
Yes sir, so the only thing to do is adjust the light and see how they react to it and go from there. I have given a lot of thought into what I will do if they don't catch up, I have plenty of space in my garage to close an area off and be able to keep it regulated enough until they get to flower and can possibly be put back in there with the older ones.

H

Harley.Freeman

So this is random lol,
I have 12 of these led lights that I copped from somebody I was thinking of making a panel out of them because they can all be connected together. They are each a low 15 watts and 3 ft long each. The light they put out is crazy bright but silly all together low at 180 watts. Does anyone think I should try to get any other spectrum lights on there with them?

It's just a project I've started and would appreciate any tips or advice.

20240429 065822
20240429 065831
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

i see evidence of some heat stress, but very mild, the rasied up serrations on the edges of the leaves imply its getting a bit warm and over transpiring. I see no evidence here or implications of bugs

The curled leaves and shiny-ness, MAYBE some slight overwatering issues, MAYBE a slightly too acidic PH. But too much moisture is the overwhelmingly more common issue between the two.

I don't think your leaves are too shiny. Some plants just have waxier shinier leaves:
Lm

Good luck finding any evidence of any issues on this extremely shiny plant. She straight up grew a peelable waxy glaucous skin, and was actually impossibly drought and insect resistant because of it. Unfortunately this plant was reproductively sterile or id still have the genetics..

Shiny leaves are only a problem, at least in my near 2 decades of experience, if youve been using too much foliar feed, or have some evidence of N toxicity along side the glossy surface, and even then the glossy surface only matters if it's no something that genetic usually does.

Right now there's nothing for you to do, Keep an eye on her for a day or two, make sure shes dried out pretty good before watering/feeding again, pay close attention for what seem like the beginnings of problems to worsen. (obviously not to the point of wilting before watering)

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t think the plants have ever been properly introduced! Do you know what strains they are? And unless you paid a pretty penny for that 750 W light, it’s probably closer to 100 true watts! Still enough to grow but something to keep in mind! There’s plenty of stuff out there to research building your own light!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
So this is random lol,
I have 12 of these led lights that I copped from somebody I was thinking of making a panel out of them because they can all be connected together. They are each a low 15 watts and 3 ft long each. The light they put out is crazy bright but silly all together low at 180 watts. Does anyone think I should try to get any other spectrum lights on there with them?

It's just a project I've started and would appreciate any tips or advice.
I did this : ) I’m using “42watt leds” times 12. They are full spectrum for what that’s worth. They are growing the shit out my plants in veg, we’ll see how they finish the buds off(that’s where I think I’ll start to see deficiencies) you might consider looking into the red leds spider farmer has for adding to light setups! 👍🏻

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

are you using purple lights? I have seen this happen but much worse on my friends' plants from his purple lights. they looked fake at the end almost like plastic.
oh yea.... i noticed this too back in my blurple days. +1 on that note.

That is very much also a things some plants will do under the blurple LED's. Had a multiple plant Autoflower DWC grow going years ago. I ended up using blurple lights for additional supplemnting on the sides and all plants closest to them were indeed shinier in the foliage.

Still not really something you really need to worry about though unless presenting along side N toxicity, or if you've been foliar feeding

i'd vote your plants are just over transpiring a little bit though, and being a newer grower it probably has you very keenly keeping an eye out for potential problems. Using multiple smaller LED's does introduce a lot more dry heat to an environment then a single larger panel being driven by a single larger driver. There are a lot more diodes and capcitors/rectification circuits going on in that scenario, all of which produce a good bit of heat.

The only actual issue i really see on your plants is a little over transpiration stress.

For what its worth you can get 100 actual watt led panels, full spectrum, over 2.5umol, for about $35-50 now on ebay, and i can confirm they work very well and the drivers are easily sourcable and replacable too. Most even have constant current drivers high amperage rated rectification diodes, and samsung led packages, and are dimmable now at that price point as well. If you have any electronics repair or troubleshooting experience personally, there is no longer a justifiable reason imho to spend more then that on a panel. The tech is old, and easily produced with acceptable quality for next to nothing these days.

This is a panel ihave had for about 6 years and it still works fine, 100 actual watts, 2.7umol, samsung LED's. Works great in veg and flower both, dimmable. I payed $90 for it when i got it, the EXACT same panels are on ebay currently for $30. That's just what happens when you stay producing the exact same solid state technology for years on end... It get's really cheap to produce. Ram used to cost a dollar/mb, i remember those days. My current inexpensive laptop has *16 billion* mb of ram.... It was $500 new.

i Have 6 of these cheap led panels, they're fantastic. in a 4x4 DWC grow i can reliably pull over a pound with 4 or 5 of them. I have had to replace one driver after about a year of use on one of them. It was easily sourced on ebay for $21. I had to replace a single rectification diode on another and was good as new. Only 2 issues i ever had, and you can currently buy 6 of these for under $200 shipped. I actually didnt know theyve dropped this much, im about to order a few more myself. Personally i like being able to adjust every panels height individually as i enjoy grouping multiple genetics together in single tents to contrast their differences, and im also a fan of not having to completely shut down my grow if a driver fails, and i like that in the event i DO have a failure, im not going to be out potentially hundreds for a replacement. I'll be out practically nothing financially, nor will i lose any grow time in the event.
439720132 987717866075453 6312107817489285035 n

Going the more, smaller light route, absolutely 100% for sure produces a good bit more dry heat then a single larger panel driven by a single driver... It is a more complicated, but a more redundant, more easily modifiable, and more modular setup that can serve a much wider range of potentials in a tent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom