LED Lights should I buy this or something else?

• Thread starter needshelpguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

In most cases, yes. I just wanted to point out that there are higher output lights out there ... It's a great light and can be found at a similar price to the Scorpion Diablo, but for most of us it would bleach out the plants underneath it.

In truth, people put too much emphasis on the light. A good light with decent output will grow good buds if the plants are tended properly.
The whole light thing is so out of hand. What I have come to understand it this, look at the number of diodes and the Umols. High Umols and high diode count is going to cost more and last longer but try telling that to someone that just purchased the lastest whatever light and they will have a comeback every time.

Anthem

Anthem

That sunset and sunrise seems pointless , anyone got any info on em?

plants don’t take long to “wake up” like we do, and are most efficient the first some hours of the cycle(?)
If you had some hard dats it would be helpful. But consider this, how would you like it if you were sleeping nice and peaceful and in the matter of 1 second you were awoke to the sun full PPFD say 12 noon?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The whole light thing is so out of hand. What I have come to understand it this, look at the number of diodes and the Umols. High Umols and high diode count is going to cost more and last longer but try telling that to someone that just purchased the lastest whatever light and they will have a comeback every time.
Me? I would recommend someone buy the highest diode count and highest Umol rating that they can afford. I don't recommend a $1400 light unless you also have the funds to support it with quality equipment through out. Most beginners don't want to put that kind of money forward until they are confident it's a hobby they are going to pursue for the long term. I didn't. I bought Kingbrite starting out.

Maxwax

Maxwax

PPFD of 2925 is way too much for a home grower.

If you had some hard dats it would be helpful. But consider this, how would you like it if you were sleeping nice and peaceful and in the matter of 1 second you were awoke to the sun full PPFD say 12 noon?
My mom used to do that to me at 7 AM! with the lights. Something about school. Point is. I didnt like it either. lol

D

Drasik

Me? I would recommend someone buy the highest diode count and highest Umol rating that they can afford. I don't recommend a $1400 light unless you also have the funds to support it with quality equipment through out. Most beginners don't want to put that kind of money forward until they are confident it's a hobby they are going to pursue for the long term. I didn't. I bought Kingbrite starting out.
how about 2000 ppf for $900

D

Drasik

Yes as I expected. The best way to measure LED's is with a quantum sensor. Check out Apogee

Yes you are correct the craft farmer has the upper hand because of their knowledge at the moment. But that is going to change in the near future. Once big business gets involved the quality and quantity will come down to as stated tissue analysis done very day or 2, all of the nutrients the plants need will be in separate stock tanks, grow room environments will be beyond what a craft farmer can achieve. Meaning they will have controls over say ..1 or .01 percent of temperature and humidity. They will have a recipe for every strain. It is just a matter of time. Big business has the money to invest and they will. Take a car assembly plant today, do they hand spray cars anymore. It is automated, you couple this with some color sanding and buffing and you have a high quality paint job. The same paint job costs what 10k from a custom paint shop but they are doing it for a fraction of the cost. They will get the upper hand it is just a matter of time. Money is hard to stop. Sure there is a opportunity for a craft farmer but once this thing blows up and international trading of cannabis is allowed, the craft farmer is DONE. Large corporations will find a location where labor and electricity are cheap and exploit it to no end. Also they will as mentioned have the upper hand because they will have data available that a craft farmer cannot afford. It is going to become much like car racing has become. There was a time not that long ago when a smart guy in his garage or small shop was competitive. Right now the craft farmer has the upper hand because of experience but science is going to win in the end. Couple this with cheap labor and cheap electrical and the craft farmer is going to lose.

This is more for my personal understanding and ideas than anything. I am interested in how much the corporation is willing to venture in regards to risk. Meaning 1500 lights at 6 weeks and a spider mite infestation is a huge risk. I just would like to see what input the nerdy accounts have to say about that part of the situation. Also 1500 lights taking down at once is a nightmare. I see more of a harvest every few days.

I am not ignorant to what is going on in the cannabis world. Bottom line is as stated you cannot beat big money. They will think nothing of investing to make money. Once they can exploit cheap labor and cheap electricity the craft farmer is done. BTW I have control over all aspects of the grow. I am just stating what is fact. Big Business will win in the end. No way around it!!
Yeah been running my apogee for almost 4 years now. Paid over $1K for it but its been worth every penny for when I run lighting diagnostics on a grow. I've been dabbling with the bluetooth PAR sensors and just bought a spectrometer/PAR meter combo with wireless capabilities that's coming soon. I'm gonna see how it works out but I have a ton of just the quantum receptors that feed into dataloggers and some of them are trash.

Maybe in the future big business will get it right but it's not gonna happen in the foreseeable future or at least for another 10-15 years. There is not enough data or GMO plants for them to get those precise measurements to make fire. In Canadian market we've kinda seen the opposite trend. After the large scale corporate entities failed hard on winning the market with their mids, more of the market share is being collected by smaller craft growers who can make quads, they've got that know how and care. However they can just be bought out and consolidated into larger companies and maybe that's how corporate cannabis gets there.

D

Drasik

LED hands down, you can pay for more light or, more cooling if using HPS

Good luck picking one out

there’s tons of options even some cheap Chinese LEDs CAN be decent.

just caution
There is good Chinese and bad Chinese do your research. Our mfg is good Chinese, lol. Only issues with LEDS is if your in an area where its cold a lot LEDs don't warm up leaf temperature like the Heat and IR from HPS. causes VPD issues.

D

Drasik

That sunset and sunrise seems pointless , anyone got any info on em?

plants don’t take long to “wake up” like we do, and are most efficient the first some hours of the cycle(?)
By mimicking colors spectrums in sunrise and sunset as well as seasonal variations, you are providing that plant the light it was originally thriving on outdoors. the photoperiodism response collected in cryptochromes, phytochromes and phototropins could trigger a myriads if enhance plant production effects in the plants.

Anthem

Anthem

Yeah been running my apogee for almost 4 years now. Paid over $1K for it but its been worth every penny for when I run lighting diagnostics on a grow. I've been dabbling with the bluetooth PAR sensors and just bought a spectrometer/PAR meter combo with wireless capabilities that's coming soon. I'm gonna see how it works out but I have a ton of just the quantum receptors that feed into dataloggers and some of them are trash.

Maybe in the future big business will get it right but it's not gonna happen in the foreseeable future or at least for another 10-15 years. There is not enough data or GMO plants for them to get those precise measurements to make fire. In Canadian market we've kinda seen the opposite trend. After the large scale corporate entities failed hard on winning the market with their mids, more of the market share is being collected by smaller craft growers who can make quads, they've got that know how and care. However they can just be bought out and consolidated into larger companies and maybe that's how corporate cannabis gets there.
IAM SO SOORY BECAUSE I DO NOT WISH TO CONTINUE A CONVERSION WITH SOME ONE THAT IS DISHONEST. YOU HAVE LIED SO MANY TIMES IN THIS SHORT TREAHD.

Observationist

Observationist

By mimicking colors spectrums in sunrise and sunset as well as seasonal variations, you are providing that plant the light it was originally thriving on outdoors. the photoperiodism response collected in cryptochromes, phytochromes and phototropins could trigger a myriads if enhance plant production effects in the plants.
Sweet, thanks

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

What do you want to see details on? I'll make a new thread to show some pics of a HPS vs LED comparison we're doing a grow right now. I'm not BS anything.
Uh. I’d like to see light specs. Your opinion is extremely valuable to me. Honestly. 😒 But I still like to see manufacturers specs. Guess I’m kind of weird that way.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I know HLG has a good rep and I have nothing against the company but I simply cant recommend Quantum Boards to anyone. This is coming from someone who runs 6 HLG 320 QB XL's and one HLG 600 Rspec. The spread on quantum boards is trash and they tend to have hot spots. Stay away, especially is you have average/low ceilings.

Go with a bar style LED. I'd recommend Synce LED if you want absolute top of the line. LUXX, ChilLED and think grow are quality as well. If more on a budget, look at Growers Choice or Migro.
This helped me, thank you. I'm looking around at lights now, for a 5x5 and am still learning about led lights in general. I've been going back and forth between quantum boards and bar style. Bar style seems to make more sense just looking at it. I'm going to check it these brands you recommended.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

This helped me, thank you. I'm looking around at lights now, for a 5x5 and am still learning about led lights in general. I've been going back and forth between quantum boards and bar style. Bar style seems to make more sense just looking at it. I'm going to check it these brands you recommended.

Definitely go bar style if you can afford it, much better spread than board style.

Top Bottom