My journey to the MPB Universe!

• Thread starter easypleasie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

easypleasie

That's seems like a great idea, Boots. It would definitely drain faster. Only thing I can think of is gunk building up in that line since it's not getting any circulation.

M

mrdizzle

I thought about that, adding a 1inch strictly for draining. it would make draining much faster, the thing is, the drain at the bottom wouldnt plumb into the 4inch tubing, it would be too low if that makes any sense.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I thought about that, adding a 1inch strictly for draining. it would make draining much faster, the thing is, the drain at the bottom wouldnt plumb into the 4inch tubing, it would be too low if that makes any sense.

shit, ok, gotta think about it more now cause I wanna do it

B

Boots Sugarleaf

with my res being below the floor I can just add another 4 inch pipe at floor level just for draining, but I wanna help figure a way for those not below floor level...

M

mrdizzle

the system is great cuz you can really do whatever works for your set up. To me, the extra plumbing would be a pain in the ass, when all i have to do it unplug the pump and let it drain, takes 20 mins, i think its takes dd and hour but hes got 23 buckets and 300gals worth or res

get the buckets up and set up the 4inch tubing, then add the cooltubes and i have a feeling your gonna be pressed for room, you will be tip toeing around. I basically am on my knees crawling under and inbetween the plants. floor fans are a must so you also got those in your way too, the troubles we gotta deal with ahah

E

easypleasie

Good knowing about the drain times. I won't bother with the extra drain then since it only takes 20 minutes.

lol i'm tired of crawling and falling over my fans. I'm hand watering right now and it's a real bitch! Can't wait to switch to hydro just to ease my back pain.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

yeah, screw it, I have lots of free time and partners to help so one less hole to drill and one less hole to potentially leak

M

mrdizzle

which reminds me, I had a minor leak the other night. I had to shorten the drainlines on two of my buckets to move them closer to the wall

in attempt to pull the 1in hose outta the 4inpvc, i musta tweeked the drain enough to cause a leak, the one overflow drain started leaking a minor amount of water, like a drip at a time . So poped the fitting out, but couldnt get it to stop leakin. then and added another rubber washer on the outside of the bucket, plus the one on the inside, so now it has two. which is how i will set them all up for next time.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I'm thinkin bout using silicone caulk where all the final fittings are..I have some 55 gallon plastic drums I've used for outdoor for years that I silicone caulked in some hose fittings into that still don't leak after 2+ years

L

Lost

Just a tip to keep the holes you drill from leaking... Use a door knob hole drill, the one with a drill bit on the outside like DD's used. There are the flat style and once you punch thru, it'll slightly mess up the hole if your not super careful..

Also make sure its aquarium quality sealant so it does not leach into the water..

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Just a tip to keep the holes you drill from leaking... Use a door knob hole drill, the one with a drill bit on the outside like DD's used. There are the flat style and once you punch thru, it'll slightly mess up the hole if your not super careful..

Also make sure its aquarium quality sealant so it does not leach into the water..

yeah, I have a hole saw kit, good tip on the aquarium sealant...I will add that to todays list--thanks Lost

M

mrdizzle

you know what it was, i didnt de-burr any of the holes i cut, this hole had a little "flap" if you will, only about 1/16inch, but when i lifted out the 1in tube i shifted the fittin up at an angle for a second and that flap stopped making the seal. I think the one washer is/was fine, you just cant put that kind of pressure on the fittings. i mean this leaked about a liter in 2days so nothing major.

if you dont buy the quick release fittings, the standard ebb n flows are the way to go, $2.50, I bought the standard ebb n flows just to steal the rubberwashers for my quick release fittings, and i use the bolt provided with the standard fitting sto tighten my quickrelease

. i also use the standard ebb n flow fittings on the 1/2in inlet. i have the quickrelease 1/2 fittings i just couldnt find washers, and the only bulkhead fitting that it would screw into was $30 fuckin bucks, so i said fuck that, 1/2in tubing is easy to pull off a fitting and to cut a new one, 1in is impossible to pull off, you gotta cut that shit.

L

Lost

Yea, you gotta deburr.. I have made that mistake before while the system was up and running (moved the buckets a little and the sucker leakd pretty bad...)

M

mrdizzle

yea you gotta be really careful moving them. the fucked up thing is i should have used that fucking quickrelease option i paid so much for haha nothing would have leaked, stoner move there.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

either bulkhead fittings from a plumbing supply place or the ebb and flow fittings are the best and easiest option for quite a few reasons if you don't get the quick disconnects that DD recommends. I have been trying to piece fittings together from here and there and it is more frustrating than it is worth. Mainly because finding the right shape and size gasket made from the right material is a MF'er to accomplish easily

lollipopman

lollipopman

Does the ebb and flow come with gaskets or do you have to buy them seperate...

L

Lost

They come with it for one side witch is all you need if you de-burr your holes :)

The tubs are so cheap, by an extra if you mess up :)

J

Jalisco Kid

I would trash those bottom buckets or read up on krusty buckets. JK

E

easypleasie

And why wouldn't these work? Basic same principle I thought.

Top Bottom