New power for UK police to hack your pc

• Thread starter Kilo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kilo

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-powers-for-police-to-hack-your-pc-1225802.html

Police have been given the power to hack into personal computers without a court warrant. The Home Office is facing anger and the threat of a legal challenge after granting permission. Ministers are also drawing up plans to allow police across the EU to collect information from computers in Britain.

The moves will fuel claims that the Government is presiding over a steady extension of the "surveillance society" threatening personal privacy.

Hacking – known as "remote searching" – has been quietly adopted by police across Britain following the development of technology to access computers' contents at a distance. Police say it is vital for tracking cyber-criminals and paedophiles and is used sparingly but civil liberties groups fear it is about to be vastly expanded.

Remote searching can be achieved by sending an email containing a virus to a suspect's computer which then transmits information about email contents and web-browsing habits to a distant surveillance team.

Alternatively, "key-logging" devices can be inserted into a computer that relay details of each key hit by its owner. Detectives can also monitor the contents of a suspect's computer hard-drive via a wireless network.

Computer hacking has to be approved by a chief constable, who must be satisfied the action is proportionate to the crime being investigated.

Last month European ministers agreed in principle to allow police to carry out remote searches of suspects' computers across the EU.

Details of the proposal are still being developed by the Home Office and other EU ministries, but critics last night warned it would usher in a vast expansion of police hacking operations.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of the human rights campaign group Liberty, said such a vast expansion of police powers should be regulated by a new Act of Parliament and that police should be forced to apply to a court for a warrant to hack into computers.

She said: "This is no different from breaking down someone's door, rifling through their paperwork and seizing their computer hard drive."

Ms Chakrabarti said the organisation believed it had strong grounds to challenge the practice both under British and European law.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow Home Secretary, said: "The exercise of such intrusive powers raises serious privacy issues. The Government must explain how they would work in practice and what safeguards will be in place."

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said police carried out 194 hacking operations in 2007-08 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, including 133 in private homes, 37 in offices and 24 in hotel rooms.

The spokesman said such surveillance was regulated under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act.

"The police service in the United Kingdom will aggressively pursue serious and organised criminality, including where that takes the modern forms of hi-tech crime," he added.

The Government faces criticism over the erosion of civil liberties on a series of fronts. It is working on plans for a giant "big brother" database holding information about every phone call, email and internet visit made by everyone in the United Kingdom.

The first Britons will receive biometric identity cards at the end of the year, paving the way to the world's largest identity register. Genetic details of more than four million people are on the DNA national database, the highest proportion of any Western country. The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that Britain's policy of retaining samples from people never convicted of a crime – including children – breaches human rights.

S

Stackin Paper

What if you have a pc but don't do emails, can that email that they sent still transmit the info if it never gets opened?

I don't email, obviously i have an email account to get on to sites like this but i never read my emails and i never send any, just delete them when they reach into the 100's so was wondering if it could still affect me.

K

Kilo

What if you have a pc but don't do emails, can that email that they sent still transmit the info if it never gets opened?

I don't email, obviously i have an email account to get on to sites like this but i never read my emails and i never send any, just delete them when they reach into the 100's so was wondering if it could still affect me.

not sure but my arse just fell out and walked off

definalty debate for some of the tech minded peeps to help there fellow thc'ers

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
The fbi has been doing this for years in the usa

The FBI is updating its surveillance technology to keep pace with the digital age. As part of a broad project called "Cyber Knight," the agency is developing powerful Internet eavesdropping software that can record every keystroke on a person's computer.

This new surveillance tool, known as "Magic Lantern," is being designed to thwart encryption software by capturing the keystrokes or mouseclicks a person might use to deliberately scramble messages or computer files. Magic Lantern exploits some of the same weaknesses in popular commercial software that allow hackers to break into computers, and could be used with a court order against suspected terrorists or criminals.

Such powerful surveillance tools always raise constitutional and privacy issues, and there is still some debate about the legality of using Magic Lantern without a search warrant. Because the software can be covertly installed over the Internet without the need for actual physical entry into a person's home or office, some argue that a search warrant should not be required.

S

SENSI ZYM

so have the uk they actualy use the chinise to serch for them as they have the biggest online security agency they have over 800 people serching all day everyday for pedos crime rings ect , tis y we keep to a strict conduct ie not selling weed and clones etc ,were protected by the freedom of speach act ,but thats not to say they aint waching us coz you can bet they are ,keep it civil and safe not like og back in the day and we all safe .
just my 2p
kilo put that arse back in bro your cool :tongueout

B

BuddKlott

just keep your fingers crossed the house of Lords does something about this

W

WCC

What a bunch of C**** !!!! I heard once upon a time that All Cops Are Bastards and I tend to agree .... MOST of the time they do more harm then good.

My .02 ...

F

FastForward

In theory it sounds scary but I bet the reality is very different in practice - we have such levels of incompetency at all levels here (e.g. leaving USB sticks on trains with billions of social security records on, CCTV infrastructures that are not connected etc, lack of resources etc) that I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't just PR bullshit like the license detector vans.

P

phoenix

not sure but my arse just fell out and walked off

LMFAO fuck,tell me about it!! oh well,makes me glad i dont cash crop,99% of peeps,even on here are way below their radar,as said in the post it has to be in proportion to the crime,and those 133 private searches will be big time.

"yes mlud,we spent so many thousands of pounds and man hours to pinch this student and his mexi brick bag seed,"

and if u are big enough to worry thyen u should have done your homework already and know your enemy and there habits.

i know the benefits of showing em respect etc[never a good idea to wind em up] but i feel i must add this last little comment:middlefinger
fuck u and ya poxy laws,officer.

makes my blood boil though,if your filth you do what u want,while we all have to play by the rules,not fuckin likely:character0180: cant wait, a years from now the uk and its government will just be a bad dream.

7rayos

It's because the rich and powerful are going to escape to Mars but because there are not enuff spaceships for the whole world, they have to check for people growing grass and kill tem all. That's why they keep grass growers under strict fbi control for when the times comes, don't fool yerselfs.:very_first_smiley: In truth, i don't give a shit what the MIB, the MI007 and their spanish counterparts (which is so secret cannae mind the name) do with that info, but i'd be worried if that info's nationally stored in case the regime changes drastically. I wonder, say, what would a Franco-clon do with it. Roads and railways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom