New to males, pollen collecting, seed making

• Thread starter connoisseurde420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

So I have a purple dawg x crystal ship male I want to use for practice dusting some of my females and making seed. I have become quite the seed junkie due to the bay and jealous of the fun breeders and pollen chuckers get to take part in. So I start my own adventure. My male is flowering and should start dropping pollen any day now. some look open I'm not too sure. Need to clean a jar for storage. How does she look? Just had her to the side of my flower run ..
New to males pollen collecting seed making

soserthc1

soserthc1

A little hard to tell but looks about ready , me personally would strip some leaves if not all and put wax or something underneath it to collect the pollen . Then scoop up into a container and into the fridge or freezer but I'm interested in hearing how other do it also as with out a dedicated space I sometimes guess wrong myself and never get pollen but it's like playing Russian roulette when you keep them in the flower room for a week or two .
Curious for some clever collecting ideas I know @JAWS has a neat way of doing it but I'll let him chime in , if he is so inclined

Ambre

Ambre

It looks like a few may have already opened, which means your fems may already be lightly pollenated. I would pull the male out of the garden now & use a CFL or something to finish the flowering (in another room) & collect pollen. Put the plant on top of waxed paper or something similar to catch the pollen & flowers as they fall. Discard everything except the pollen.

Let the pollen dry for at least a day and then wrap it up in paper twists. You can add some flour to the pollen to stretch it. Storing the pollen in paper allows it to continue to dry, storing it in small amounts means you can just pull what you need for each fem. Store the paper twists full of pollen in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid; I'd put dessicant or rice in the bottom of the jar to maintain humidity.

Store it in the fridge - when you pull it out to take some pollen, let the entire jar come up to room temp before opening it (or you will have condensation inside the jar and kill the pollen with humidity). You can also freeze the pollen for longer-term storage.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

A little hard to tell but looks about ready , me personally would strip some leaves if not all and put wax or something underneath it to collect the pollen . Then scoop up into a container and into the fridge or freezer but I'm interested in hearing how other do it also as with out a dedicated space I sometimes guess wrong myself and never get pollen but it's like playing Russian roulette when you keep them in the flower room for a week or two .
Curious for some clever collecting ideas I know @JAWS has a neat way of doing it but I'll let him chime in , if he is so inclined
I stripped some leaves already and some sacs are open but didn't get any pollen to drop when I tapped them.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

It looks like a few may have already opened, which means your fems may already be lightly pollenated. I would pull the male out of the garden now & use a CFL or something to finish the flowering (in another room) & collect pollen. Put the plant on top of waxed paper or something similar to catch the pollen & flowers as they fall. Discard everything except the pollen.

Let the pollen dry for at least a day and then wrap it up in paper twists. You can add some flour to the pollen to stretch it. Storing the pollen in paper allows it to continue to dry, storing it in small amounts means you can just pull what you need for each fem. Store the paper twists full of pollen in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid; I'd put dessicant or rice in the bottom of the jar to maintain humidity.

Store it in the fridge - when you pull it out to take some pollen, let the entire jar come up to room temp before opening it (or you will have condensation inside the jar and kill the pollen with humidity). You can also freeze the pollen for longer-term storage.
A few are open for sure I took it out last night when I took the picture. I read a old post saying males will keep flowering no matter the schedule so it's under cfl like you suggested with no timer. gonna find something to Lay down so I can collect pollen. Do I shake or harvest whole sacs? I have bubble bags / pollen bags to sift if necessary.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I stripped some leaves already and some sacs are open but didn't get any pollen to drop when I tapped them.
Yea been hit and miss myself
@Ambre what are your signs of time to pull out of flower room , if like myself you only have that option to start ( and time frame) as I kinda get anxious at the thought of ruining a crop to collect pollen and if there is a really nice male I also have a hard time letting him go .

I usually go like 2 weeks after balls are visable and then pull to a closet with a cfl or my old school 150 hps but my anxiety has had me pull my last male , still got. A clone thou

william76

william76

@Ambre what are your signs of time to pull out of flower room , if like myself you only have that option to start ( and time frame) as I kinda get anxious at the thought of ruining a crop to collect pollen and if there is a really nice male I also have a hard time letting him go .

I usually go like 2 weeks after balls are visable and then pull to a closet with a cfl or my old school 150 hps but my anxiety has had me pull my last male , still got. A clone thou
Flip the male clone now before he gets any bigger,he,ll stay small,youll get pollen and he ll be easier to contain,i once flipped a male clone straight away and kept him in a big clear tub,a few branches is all you need,good luck,76

soserthc1

soserthc1

Yea was tossing that around But can't for a few weeks as during the summer I'm not at the spot from Friday night till Sunday afternoon , anything smaller than a two gallon will dry up and wilt or die but think I'm gonna go somewhat that route but in gallon containers and larger containers on a shelf above the fans - pollen falls in the pails , collect ...I believe this is somewhat the way jaws does it but I'm sure he will drop in

Ambre

Ambre

Take a look at this - this is an isolation chamber for male plants that is sealed/filtered to prevent pollen from getting loose on your fems.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/breeding-box.62623/#post-1229070

The full thread is at ICmag, the design is from JLP there. I've made a couple of these over the years. You still need to carry this chamber outside of your flowering room when you open it to prevent accidental pollenation.

Ambre

Ambre

A few are open for sure I took it out last night when I took the picture. I read a old post saying males will keep flowering no matter the schedule so it's under cfl like you suggested with no timer. gonna find something to Lay down so I can collect pollen. Do I shake or harvest whole sacs? I have bubble bags / pollen bags to sift if necessary.
Some of the sacs will fall to the catch paper along with the pollen. I fold the catch paper and shake it to loosen pollen from the sacs, then use a tea strainer or something similar to allow the pollen to fall through and retain the sacs in the strainer. Throw the sacs away and just keep the pollen.

Puffntuff

Puffntuff

@JAWS walked me through my first time doing it and I was 100% successful. His way of doing it was easy and productive.

He told me to take my male outta the flower room put wax paper underneath the plant. Put the plant on a 45 degree angle and lightly tap the branches to let the pollen fall on the wax paper. Scrape it up store in pill bottle or similar and put in fridge.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Some of the sacs will fall to the catch paper along with the pollen. I fold the catch paper and shake it to loosen pollen from the sacs, then use a tea strainer or something similar to allow the pollen to fall through and retain the sacs in the strainer. Throw the sacs away and just keep the pollen.
Cool think I got it ... Thanks for the details

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

@JAWS walked me through my first time doing it and I was 100% successful. His way of doing it was easy and productive.

He told me to take my male outta the flower room put wax paper underneath the plant. Put the plant on a 45 degree angle and lightly tap the branches to let the pollen fall on the wax paper. Scrape it up store in pill bottle or similar and put in fridge.
I like this idea too

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Take a look at this - this is an isolation chamber for male plants that is sealed/filtered to prevent pollen from getting loose on your fems.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/breeding-box.62623/#post-1229070

The full thread is at ICmag, the design is from JLP there. I've made a couple of these over the years. You still need to carry this chamber outside of your flowering room when you open it to prevent accidental pollenation.
I was looking for this thread thanks. Gonna read thru it again

JAWS

JAWS

just be clear on the SCRAPPING you remember what i told you about doing that right?.

NO piling of the pollen after it gets on the wax paper fold HALF PIPE style and pour your dry pollen into your container. never pile your pollen unless or until it's 100% dry or you could run into problems with moisture and ruin your pollen right out the gate. always clean your pollen as well never leave bits and pieces of shit in your pollen stock.

thank you:)

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Thanks for the details been seeing alot about keeping moisture out
just be clear on the SCRAPPING you remember what i told you about doing that right?.

NO piling of the pollen after it gets on the wax paper fold HALF PIPE style and pour your dry pollen into your container. never pile your pollen unless or until it's 100% dry or you could run into problems with moisture and ruin your pollen right out the gate. always clean your pollen as well never leave bits and pieces of shit in your pollen stock.

thank you:)

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I tried today but no much pollen gonna wait another couple days. used the tea strainer and a little glass. They were def dropping pollen but not much yet

JAWS

JAWS

if your male is staling then you need to think about doing a self/hand collecting of the pollen you need.

get yourself a thin container i like to use LA CON there round and thin and can be sled into tight spaces, also need a long thin tapper device i like to use scewers and lastly some twizzers the longer the better.

slip the container under the target sac then gently and slowly slide your scewer abouve the sac at this point gently tap the sac and the pollen will fall into your container.

as for the twizzers those are for removing any crap that may fall into you container, usually pollen sac's them selves. those hold moisture and if left in your pollen source they WILL contaminate your whole batch. do be sloppy do what needs to be done to insure you get the best cleanest pollen possible.

good luck;)

JAWS

JAWS

PICT9471

most all of the above containers were filled with the tech i spoke about in the above post, it takes some time but its a good way to get really clean pollen.

peace:)

P.S. if you know your going to be getting a lot of pollen from a single plant ALWAYS remember to NEVER put all your pollen in one container. never pack your containers to full main reason is if something go's wrong you wont loss all your pollen{s}.

Top Bottom