Oil, water exstraction, maybe, full of home

• Thread starter tielee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tielee

Back years ago, being foolish, out of smoke, with only seeds and trim. Decided to make some oil. Hash oil was all the rage. Took a pound of stuff and proceeded to boil it in water.Boiled and boiled and green oil came to the surface. . Well now days I have several pounds of dry, years old, good smoke at the time. Thinking I can do the same with the bud I have left over. So the plan is to do. A water exstraction

Z

Zill

Tielee,

The terpenoids/ flavonoids/ cannabinoids - all “oids” are only sparingly soluble in water.

I might perform a quick cold water rinse to remove grit. Then I would extract from finely ground plant material using a lipid, grease like a butter extraction. It’s pretty easy. The butter extraction is done at a temperature that extracts and decarboxylates at the same time. Surprised you recovered anything in water.

Zill.

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

There are a bunch of methods from ethanol extraction to oil infusion
Be sure to activate or decarb your material first, it helps to insure a potent result
Ethanol extraction is my go to method

Working with CBD and CBG cultivars for extraction
Currently replacing pharma with some cannabis infused edibles

IMG 20231119 185117
IMG 20231111 121842

Top is a cannabis tincture with the alcohol evaporated off
Bottom is an infused rich syrup

Z

Zill

Trincandcote,

Alcohol works great. I was a little concerned about turning myself into a blue ghost. Even ETOH is fairly polar. A much better solvent system would include 1:1, Hexane:MEOH. Butter, coconut oil works well.

When you extract with ETOH is it done at RT or at a higher temperature?

Nice looking syrup by the way! How do you consume the syrup?

Z.

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Trincandcote,

Alcohol works great. I was a little concerned about turning myself into a blue ghost. Even ETOH is fairly polar. A much better solvent system would include 1:1, Hexane:MEOH. Butter, coconut oil works well.

When you extract with ETOH is it done at RT or at a higher temperature?

Nice looking syrup by the way! How do you consume the syrup?

Z.

Unless you are processing pounds the actual danger is a flash burn if an ETOH vapor cloud develops
certainly dangerous but you are not going to blow your house up
The real danger is inhaling alcohol vapor
I do my reductions by a window with a fan blowing towards the fresh air to make sure the vapor is dispersed
At most I'm using 1-2 cups of ETOH so I'm comfortable without a mask

Do my ethanol extractions at freezer temperature to reduce undesirable lipids, waxes and chlorophyll
Do insane filtering with celite 545 and a product called carbonX (got this when it was selling for a reasonable price during the introduction, now its cost prohibitive unless you buy it in bulk)
The taste of non filtered edibles is too much for me, taste makes me sick

Hydrocarbons make excellent solvents but the the ethanol is easier to get
Still kind of a newbie finding my way

The syrup can be used as a dosing additive as a teaspoon is at least 50mg
It can be added to flavored syrups without impeding their ability to mix
Will disperse in hot and cold drinks, mix into sauces after cooking, add to condiments

Last edited:
Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Tin,

What we need is a soxlet extractor. Boil the liquid, vapors rise and get condensed falling back into reservoir. Run it for hours.

Actually going to get the full lab still at some point with heating mantle etc.
Space is an issue right now but that will change

I use distillate for the syrup
$20 a gram
Use a product called 210S to bind the distillate to the rich syrup

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Did want to add one thing
I use an electric stove top
Never use gas or any open flame when working with high proof ethanol or other solvents

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

that's the only way to go heating mantle or like you mention eclectic stove top.
There is always the source turbo

They use to have concentrate making tools
You could make shatter or budder
Then all of a sudden they were gone

Weighing my options
What do I want to make for concentrates

Z

Zill

Cheese and crackers, Tin. That equipment is over $800 US! I found a used apparatus on eBay, sans mantle heater for $35.00.

Z

Zill

Tin,

That not a soxlet/condensor. It’s a simple single pass Buchner funnier. Not very efficient. I’ll bet they have about a twelve fold mark up on that stuff…bend over.

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Tin,

That not a soxlet/condensor. It’s a simple single pass Buchner funnier. Not very efficient. I’ll bet they have about a twelve fold mark up on that stuff…bend over.

Tin,

I agree
It is good to get this equipment some attention
Looking at it gets DIY crowd in on the conversation to point out pros and cons
Reclamation is easy but this unit should have some sort of ability to evaporate built into the base
This is an ignorant guess but a lot of folks loathe the evaporation process because of the potential for scorching
In the lower priced model it is probably the same thinking
Here, we got you a product (tincture), now you deal with it
Think the nearly $3000 model has some sort of reclamation ability
Seeing a few of these pop up with content contributors
It has changed quite a bit and had concentrate wands for budder making
Apologies for the ignorance but back a few years ago it looked like a magical toy to me

Personally, my freezer, some ethanol, material, mason jar and shaking
Use a double boiler method for all my reductions
IMG 20231119 182251

Stainless steel pot, stainless steel trivet and a borosilicate breaker with a fan blowing toward an open window
Use about a cup of ethanol for the entire process
Works every time and a lot less undesirable compounds
ACTIVATE YOUR MATERIAL PEOPLE!

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Tin is strong believer in the KISS principle - keep it simple stupid. Your set up works.

Actually I got way off topic
This is about water extraction which I have only heard about when making bubble hash, I think
There is a particular method that incorporates water but uses ethanol and other solvents as the extracting method and water to vaporize the solvent

Note: There is a choice of whether or not to decarb prior to extraction
You can decarb the plant material before or the extracted oil afterward

Latest posts

Top Bottom