Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
But like everything it has a down side.
Slugs and earwigs love to hide in it and come out at night.
The last couple of years I've raked it off in the fall and that has been less of an issue the next Spring.
do the slugs it the plants!? Do the earwigs?

TreeBee

TreeBee

If ever feeling down about the grow, just hit me up for an update on my outdoor girlies.

So far im having the worst outdoor season ive ever had anywhere by orders of magnitude 🤣🤣😭

I have aphids pyrethrin wont kill, and something capable of crossing DE thats eating on my leaves. No slime trails, no signs of caterpillars, cant find anything but live aphids and their eggs. Just freshly munched leaves every day i get home from work.

I have burned and bleached leaves ive had to spray so much. Even been using NEEM too and these little aphids will not dip out.

But the plants haven't slowed their growth for a second. Some of my newest shoots even have a little witches broom from the constant aphids, but still growing like mad.

The pyrethrin got rid of literally everything immediately, besides the damn krypton-aphids. I prob wont be growing outside on this land next season lmao.
Last year I just did veggies outside hardly a single pest all season. I lost 3 lettuce babies to a cut worm and a few nibbles here and there but not a single bit of loss aside from those lettuce. Cannabis must be juicy good for bugs because I spotted spider mites and aphids on the wee plants I put out just a few days ago. I am not super worried these plants are from bag seed and resisting showing me their lady parts so I am not buying them dinner and am ready to kick them out of the car any time. I do however have some auto seeds coming and I plan on doing these out in the garden too so I need to figure something out shortly.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

I think one of my plants is starting to flower. What do you all think?

20240517 153640

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I haven't tried it, but GNick55 uses alcohol on critters and says it works great. Not straight, diluted.
yea it kills whats there, doesnt prevent new ones. Alcohol also has a tendency to attract flying insects. At least here lol.

im not actually too worried about the aphids, theyre just annoying the hell outta me, aphids dont run from you, you can just knock em off or mush em if im being fair about it. Theyre not doing much damage, i have no idea whats chewing the leaves at night, and causing the tiny bits of broom on a couple new shoots here and there. Id almost lean towards rabbits because its on the higher leaves and the plants are up over a foot now (some of them) and a couple are a bit "jagged" for bug chewing i think.

Its less bug witches broom, and more "Rabbit fimming" i think lmao.

Rabbits can also pass DE no problem lmao.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

View attachment 2173042
I dont think so. Theyll make calyxes and stuff as they grow through veg too, they just dont stack them or stretch out yet. The new fan leaf growths will also lengthen and get quite spindly looking before they fully devlop as a plant matures too, even in veg indoors. Even on indicas, new veg growth outdoors on a fully mature plant can look quite stringy/spindly, and there will be full developed calyxed intermingled. These calyxes can even produce seed already if you have stored pollen. (you can even do a little breeding being sure the pollen wont be viable come full flowering time too, have done it several times lol, and pollen can keep for years in a freezer if totally dry and air tight)

If the plant is old enough the new growth looks like a plant ready to flower because it's now a fully sexually mature plant. Right now days are getting longer faster then just about any other time before the solstice and your girlies know it :) They're just ancy and eagerly awaiting late july into august, when it becomes obvious to them it's time to flower.

Some of your little internode calyxes may even frost over and swell up before full flowering really begins.

Wait, lol, sorry for double post forgot i was still in the same thread 😅😂

This was a clone of the colubian landrace sativa. A pure sativa plant. This one in fully mature growth almost looked like a stretched branch a week into 12/12... Still took 13+ weeks to flower. Would rarely even grow anything beyond 3-5 finger fan leaves, like a flowering cola. Covered in little calyxes and pistils at every node, they just didnt stack.
IMG 20211022 190027

Pure sativa along side pure indica in the same tent. Not something seen often lol. One not familiar could be forgiven for thinking these were a different species. Not sure why i never made a fem cross with them. Should have. But on both clones, if you looked at the internodes, they would look like they were about to flower. would be fully formed pistils and calyxes both. down lower, older ones would be a little fat, with a little frost on them.
IMG 20211014 180453 1

Last edited:
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

yea it kills whats there, doesnt prevent new ones. Alcohol also has a tendency to attract flying insects. At least here lol.

im not actually too worried about the aphids, theyre just annoying the hell outta me, aphids dont run from you, you can just knock em off or mush em if im being fair about it. Theyre not doing much damage, i have no idea whats chewing the leaves at night, and causing the tiny bits of broom on a couple new shoots here and there. Id almost lean towards rabbits because its on the higher leaves and the plants are up over a foot now (some of them) and a couple are a bit "jagged" for bug chewing i think.

Its less bug witches broom, and more "Rabbit fimming" i think lmao.

Rabbits can also pass DE no problem lmao.
Or maybe mice?

cpurola

cpurola

I dont think so. Theyll make calyxes and stuff as they grow through veg too, they just dont stack them or stretch out yet. The new fan leaf growths will also lengthen and get quite spindly looking before they fully devlop as a plant matures too, even in veg indoors. Even on indicas, new veg growth outdoors on a fully mature plant can look quite stringy/spindly, and there will be full developed calyxed intermingled. These calyxes can even produce seed already if you have stored pollen. (you can even do a little breeding being sure the pollen wont be viable come full flowering time too, have done it several times lol, and pollen can keep for years in a freezer if totally dry and air tight)

If the plant is old enough the new growth looks like a plant ready to flower because it's now a fully sexually mature plant. Right now days are getting longer faster then just about any other time before the solstice and your girlies know it :) They're just ancy and eagerly awaiting late july into august, when it becomes obvious to them it's time to flower.

Some of your little internode calyxes may even frost over and swell up before full flowering really begins.

Wait, lol, sorry for double post forgot i was still in the same thread 😅😂

This was a clone of the colubian landrace sativa. A pure sativa plant. This one in fully mature growth almost looked like a stretched branch a week into 12/12... Still took 13+ weeks to flower. Would rarely even grow anything beyond 3-5 finger fan leaves, like a flowering cola. Covered in little calyxes and pistils at every node, they just didnt stack.
View attachment 2173391

Pure sativa along side pure indica in the same tent. Not something seen often lol. One not familiar could be forgiven for thinking these were a different species. Not sure why i never made a fem cross with them. Should have. But on both clones, if you looked at the internodes, they would look like they were about to flower. would be fully formed pistils and calyxes both. down lower, older ones would be a little fat, with a little frost on them.
View attachment 2173403
Thanks! I think I'll give them another week before doing anything drastic.
As far as the munched leaves, I've had japanese beetles do that. Then, at night, the oriental or asiatic beetles.
But honestly, they haven't attacked my weed yet, just my zinnias and basil.
Good luck

Last edited:
Galgrows

Galgrows

View attachment 2173042
I know one of the clones i placed outside a week ago is preflowering i'm just gonna let it go see what's it gonna be it's the chances we take thinking 14 1/2 hrs will prevent it but sometimes at least for me my clones are over 2months old and could be it's thinking ageing and it set it off?? My other 6 are not showing preflower.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Or maybe mice?
we have more rats here then mice because of all the farms. And the leaves getting the damage are too high up, a mouse or rat would prob have to climb the stem. Maybe not a BIG rat, but if it was rats they would have returned in greater numbers already. In this case a mouse or rat would just fell the plant by chewing the main stem, and then theyll usually consume the entire thing leaving just stems when they do that. Thats what they do to grain grasses in hte cashcrops here anyway. Those bastards are very smart. Dog levels of smart.

Ive had rat damaged plants before, they leave leaves a bit more mangled then a rabbit will if they even leave a living plant at all. They grab and tear with their hands and stuff and rabbits dont. Technically rabbits arent even rodents, and they have similar teeth but use them completely differently. The way they feed, the way they see, the way their brains work, all very different from rodents lol. They're something called lagamorphs like pika's, leporids and Hares. When ive had rats and mice get into outdoor plants, they tend to return in numbers, do a LOT of damage, and scatter stuff around because they play while they do it. Rabbits are terrified of everything, feed lightly, and move as often as possible, the damage is being done early in the day too, not at night. When rabbits and deer are feeding, not rodents, but we have too many unneutered dogs around, we dont see deer at all.

When rats and mice find food they like, they bring in the buddies and start a party. When rabbits find food they like, they move on quickly just taking note of where it was they found the food so they can come back again tomorrow. Deer move too much, you wont get repeat visits from them multiple days in a row unless you're intentionally planting patches of stuff they like, or something about the topography of your land is conducive to their safety while they sleep lol.. You will get lots of repeated light damage with rabbits though.

Ive also found a couple little round rabbit dookies on the plot recently as well. I think i may just string up a 2' chik wire fence around the plot. Maybe toss some mothballs into the hedgeline and hope they dont make the soil under them too alkaline lol. Ive seen TONS of rabbits here too, thats why my plants went in ground initially with chik wire protection rings around em lol. Theyve just since outgrown the rings.

Last edited:
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

we have more rats here then mice because of all the farms. And the leaves getting the damage are too high up, a mouse or rat would prob have to climb the stem. Maybe not a BIG rat, but if it was rats they would have returned in greater numbers already. In this case a mouse or rat would just fell the plant by chewing the main stem, and then theyll usually consume the entire thing leaving just stems when they do that. Thats what they do to grain grasses in hte cashcrops here anyway. Those bastards are very smart. Dog levels of smart.

Ive had rat damaged plants before, they leave leaves a bit more mangled then a rabbit will if they even leave a living plant at all. They grab and tear with their hands and stuff and rabbits dont. Technically rabbits arent even rodents, and they have similar teeth but use them completely differently. The way they feed, the way they see, the way their brains work, all very different from rodents lol. They're something called lagamorphs like pika's, leporids and Hares. When ive had rats and mice get into outdoor plants, they tend to return in numbers, do a LOT of damage, and scatter stuff around because they play while they do it. Rabbits are terrified of everything, feed lightly, and move as often as possible, the damage is being done early in the day too, not at night. When rabbits and deer are feeding, not rodents, but we have too many unneutered dogs around, we dont see deer at all.

When rats and mice find food they like, they bring in the buddies and start a party. When rabbits find food they like, they move on quickly just taking note of where it was they found the food so they can come back again tomorrow. Deer move too much, you wont get repeat visits from them multiple days in a row. You will with rabbits though.

Ive also found a couple little round rabbit dookies on the plot recently as well. I may just throw some mothballs into the hedge line, bet if its rabbits thatll stop em coming into the plot. Would be terrible for the soil under the hedges though :/, and id be willing to bet thats where the rabbit's den is too, would probably force them to move den site.
That's interesting, I did not know that about rabbits! I've used mothballs in the garden, can't remember exactly what for, rats and squirrels maybe, and I recall they worked

I do however have the same deer herd in my field nearly every morning & night, they disappear for a few days now and then, but never go far. I use 7 ft deer netting around my gardens or there be no point in even planting one

IMG 20240419 1925532
Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

That's interesting, I did not know that about rabbits! I've used mothballs in the garden, can't remember exactly what for, rats and squirrels maybe, and I recall they worked

I do however have the same deer herd in my field nearly every morning & night, they disappear for a few days now and then, but never go far.
That usually means you have something about the topography of your land that is condusive for their safty while they sleep. If there are does present with their young frequently, this is probably the case.

Or there is something growing on your land they have a specific taste for that isnt super common. If bucks are commonly seen, its more likely this is the case

If neither of these conditions are met, you're in a place where deer will only ever pass through, like my land lol. But i havent even seen any deer here, and i think its because everyone out here has unneutered dogs they let run off line and mark wherever they mark. Even a buck in the rut wont usually mess with an area it can smell multiple unneutered male dogs in. So many unneutered male dogs running up here, the black bears wont even come up to get in the trash, the only thing bold enough are coons. I dont even see squirrels and chipmunks hardly anymore, my cats killed several and probably run the rest off their dens. She doesn;t go after rabbits anymore though, she tried once and got real cut up by the kicks when she caught em, and the dogs cant catch them no matter how hard they try to. Theyre WAY to fast, and can turn WAY to quickly.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

That usually means you have something about the topography of your land that is condusive for their safty while they sleep. If they are does present with their young, this is probably the case.

Or there is something growing on your land they have a specific taste for that isnt super common. If bucks are commonly seen, its more likely this is the case

If neither of these conditions are met, you're in a place where deer will only ever pass through, like my land lol. But i havent even seen any deer here, and i think its because everyone out here has unneutered dogs they let run off line and mark wherever they mark. Even a buck in the rut wont usually meth with an area it can smell multiple male dogs in.
We bought our land (2 acres 50 yrs. ago, damn that was a long time ago!) in farmland (at the time, the city has since moved out to our place) that had been subdivided. We noticed the deer would run diagonally through our property for years. And it's the same relative path the other critters took, coyotes, turkeys.
THEN my mulberry tree started producing and they all gathered around that.
New neighbors moved in with 2 dogs and we don't see deer regularly anymore. (which is good!)

Top Bottom