Question about inline fan/filter placement for 4x4 grow tent

• Thread starter leomajor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

leomajor

Hello.

So to explain briefly. I bought a grow tent setup and inline fan/carbon filter kit not for the smell. But because my basement was susceptible to powdery mildew and more importantly grey mold (botrytis). I do not care about the smell, when you walk into my house you do smell a grow up but because it's legal here I don't care at all.

So my question is where should i place the inline fan. My thoughts are this. I plan on putting it outside the grow tent and blowing air into the grow tent... this way the air being blown into the tent is first going through the carbon filter and hopefully only fresh, clean air goes in. Then I plan on leaving one of the grow tent duct holes on the other side open so that the air pressure blows out of it.

I also bought an air purifier with an H13 hepa filter to help with the fungus.

I am worried about leaving the one side open where air is supposed to be pushing out from. It should always be pushing out but I am worried about fungus spores somehow coming/settling through it even though the air pressure should always be pushing air out of the tent through that hole

Also I seen a video showing me that when you have the inline fan on the outside of the tent... that you should put the cloth filter on the inside of the carbon filter instead of the outside... Why is that? Should I actually put the cloth filter around the carbon filter like normal?

So does anyone have any advice for me? Is putting the inline fan outside of the grow tent pushing air inside of it and an opening on the other side for air to come out my best bet? Should I leave all the openings closed and just let the air push out through tiny leaks (it's not 100% sealed even with the pull strings closed I know that)

Thanks in advance..... If you want any pictures of the setup let me know.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
You would be running the inline fan the wrong way.

Putting it the tents fine however you want to pull the hot humid air out not pull the air from the outside in.

The benefit from it being outside the tent is it will give you more height just make sure you are still running it the right way ; pulling the hot humid air out and you’ll be good.

Never herd of putting the filter cloth inside the carbon filter it doesn’t sound beneficial use it as normal if you put it inside or outside

If you don’t care about the smell there’s no need to add the carbon filter just run the inline fan without it.

Yes leave the openings closed unless you need to run duct through one witch you will.

Good luck let us know how it goes 🙂

Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The cloth on the filter has nothing to do with being inside or outside the tent. If the fan intake is connected to the filter, you want the cloth on the outside. If the filter is connected to the fans exhaust, you want the cloth on the inside. This is because you are pushing the air through from the inside of the filter. When it is hooked up to the intake side, you are pulling the air from the outside of the filter.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm not the best at explaining things lol

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Carbon filter will not stop molds!!!!! Your best corse of action is to spray your whole area down with hydrogen peroxide....I am.a basement grower and every 6 months i spray basement down.... I do not have luxury of venting... but I have 2 inline fans in 1 of my tents... 1 blowing in cool air at bottom and other exhausting hot air at top...

Top Bottom