RDWC GROW, NEED HELP/DIAGNOSIS!?

• Thread starter Farmerjohn1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Farmerjohn1

Hey all, first off pleasure to be a part of this community! I started my first ever RDWC grow about 3 weeks ago. Everything has been going great and the growth is still crazy progress, I just notice these brown spots on one of my plants and I’m not sure how to handle it or what may be the cause? Let me outline everything below.

- Doing 2 RDWC pots with one reservoir outside the tent, all 5 gallon buckets.

- My setup is a 4x2x5’ tent. Two Oscillating fans, one de humidifier, one online duct fan with a carbon filter exhaust (6”). An VIVOSUN aero light 200W LED. Two air pumps (one for each grow bucket) with a 9” stone constantly blowing bubbles. I also have a water chiller that keeps the water 68F 24/7.

- Humidity stays below 50%.

- Tent temp when the lights are on is average 78-80F. Tent Temp when light is off is average 74F.

- My PH levels stay right around 5.8 the best I can, I use RO water and PH up or down as needed.

- For nutrients I am using GH Flora Series Trio. Micro, Grow and Bloom. I add even amounts as directed by label for the stage I’m in until the ppm registers at the right amount needed. I give it an hour in between testing for them to mix.

- I also am using HydroGaurd as recommended per Gal. (2ml)

- Lastly I also use CALiMAGic 1-0-0 as recommended on the back. (1 TSP. per GAL)

- I check my nutrients, water levels/temps and PH daily.

- Both seeds started germinated 15 days ago. Used a humidity dome, heating pad and the tent light.

- transferred both of them to the DWC pots on the end of the 4th day when roots were coming through the bottom of the rapid rooter.

- once they were transferred my light was set at 30” above and on a 18hr on/ 6 hour off schedule (manufacturer recommended) . Nutrients for the seedling I kept between 500-600ppm.

- About 4 days ago (12 days since germination start) they had the proper fingers that I believed it was the start of the veg stage.

- I lowered the light to 20” as recommended by manufacturer for veg stage. I kept the light schedule at 18 hours on/ 6 hours off as it still is now. The light is at 70% because I saw the brown and wasn’t sure if it was from a burn so I’m slowly working it up to 90%. I upped the nutrients to 700ppm to slowly bring it to 800-900ppm as recommended for veg stage. I haven’t added anymore nutrients since then because I’m not sure if the issue is nutrient burn by my upping it and throwing them into it all so fast? The nutrients are at 600ppm as of today.

- my medium is clay pellets.

- one strain is Gorilla Glue, the other is Blue dream. The gorilla glue is the one having the problems with the spots.

- GROW TENT SETUP. (LEFT IS GORILLA GLUE RIGHT IS BLUE DREAM)

• HERE IS THE PLANT WITH THE ISSUE: GORILLA GlUE:

Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis

Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 2
Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 3
Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 4
Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 5

• HERE IS THE OTHER PLANT SHARING THE SAME TENT/ NO ISSUES SO FAR. SAME PH AND PPM LEVELS IN BOTH INDIVIDUAL BUCKETS ALSO.

Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 6
Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 7

• OVERALL SETUP LOOK:

Rdwc grow need helpdiagnosis 8

I hope I provided enough information, if I’m missing anything please let me
know! Would hate to have this grow go
south so i’m hoping someone can help me out here about what the issue is and how I should correct it? Appreciate it!!

F

Farmerjohn1

my apologies! not sure why they didn't work. ill attach them again below.

IMG 0206
ttystikk

ttystikk

Ok what's the EC and pH of the water? That looks like nutrient security to me which could be from either not enough nuts, the writing ratio of nutes or incorrect pH. Also, I've never had great luck putting such small plants right into the RDWC and clay pellets environment; I've had better luck getting them quite a bit bigger in coco in singing like a flood table first. The clay pellets have a strange pH plus very little ability to hold moisture and that can be a problem until the plant has enough mass to better self regulate.

Environment is on point for the water but air temperature is a bit cool... if you're running LED. You didn't mention your light type and performance?

F

Farmerjohn1

Ok what's the EC and pH of the water? That looks like nutrient security to me which could be from either not enough nuts, the writing ratio of nutes or incorrect pH. Also, I've never had great luck putting such small plants right into the RDWC and clay pellets environment; I've had better luck getting them quite a bit bigger in coco in singing like a flood table first. The clay pellets have a strange pH plus very little ability to hold moisture and that can be a problem until the plant has enough mass to better self regulate.

Environment is on point for the water but air temperature is a bit cool... if you're running LED. You didn't mention your light type and performance?
thanks for the reply! I'm stressing lol i've read a lot of about cal deficiency, do you think this fits that profile?

so the PH is 5.8, i usually just measure in ppm which is currently 600ppm. I just did a reading for the EC and the level is 1340 us/cm.

The blue dream plant next to it is having 0 problems so far, the gorilla glue took off and i just noticed the brown a few days ago and its been growing more each day. almost looks dry where the brown is.

The light i am using is Vivosun Aerolight SE 200W LED. Full spectrum, FR Enhanced. am following the manufacturers guide on what height gives which PPFD and am adjusting accordingly. I currently just lowered it a few days ago when it started the veg stage to get approx. 600 PPFD. Light is 3000k warm white, 5000k cool white, 660 nm Red and 730nm far-red.

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

I’ve been doing well with GH flora series nutrients w/ their Si I’m mixing per their chart which shows mild/medium/full strengths @ medium, I’m @ 700 and my par is 300 at the stage your at, and have raised the par to 450 shortly.

But how come your pellets are dry? My halo to water the rocks sitting on top so all the rocks are always wet. I used Rockwool block to pop the seed stuck the block into the rocks 4days old. Easy peezy.

This is a pic of mine at 15 days since the seeds popped as using GH simply has been great.
IMG 7717

F

Farmerjohn1

I’ve been doing well with GH flora series nutrients w/ their Si I’m mixing per their chart which shows mild/medium/full strengths @ medium, I’m @ 700 and my par is 300 at the stage your at, and have raised the par to 450 shortly.

But how come your pellets are dry? My halo to water the rocks sitting on top so all the rocks are always wet. I used Rockwool block to pop the seed stuck the block into the rocks 4days old. Easy peezy.

This is a pic of mine at 15 days since the seeds popped as using GH simply has been great. View attachment 2038040
Nice!! Maybe I’ll tune down the light and see if that helps? also you have a topfed system (the ring) I do not

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

Have you checked your PAR? at leaf level?
As I got (2) KIND 420 lights and at first start at 30” above and 20% light power equals 275-300 PAR

Possibly ensure your little rootball area always remains soaked and your bubbler is running about 75% pressure. Also when young some say to keep your water level up to the cage that holds your rocks or close within an 1”

IMHO these type systems are cool and work great, I have a chiller set at 69-70 and air temps high in Veg 80-85 degrees and 75% humidity
I’m almost at 6 weeks and done 4 super-cropping defoliation times and ready for flower soon, I’ve never seen growth in my tent like this 👍

ttystikk

ttystikk

thanks for the reply! I'm stressing lol i've read a lot of about cal deficiency, do you think this fits that profile?

so the PH is 5.8, i usually just measure in ppm which is currently 600ppm. I just did a reading for the EC and the level is 1340 us/cm.

The blue dream plant next to it is having 0 problems so far, the gorilla glue took off and i just noticed the brown a few days ago and its been growing more each day. almost looks dry where the brown is.

The light i am using is Vivosun Aerolight SE 200W LED. Full spectrum, FR Enhanced. am following the manufacturers guide on what height gives which PPFD and am adjusting accordingly. I currently just lowered it a few days ago when it started the veg stage to get approx. 600 PPFD. Light is 3000k warm white, 5000k cool white, 660 nm Red and 730nm far-red.
Good grief, my typos got out of hand b autocorrect blows and I clearly don't catch them all!

Are you pouring nutrient solution through your rocks? I would drop this daily for a week or two until they drop roots into the water underneath. Doing so will help wash down any salt buildup, get fresh nutrients to the roots and level out the pH at the rootball. I prefer pH closer to 6.0 but I don't think that's the main issue.

3cats

3cats

Hey I'm new here but I 'm using auto pots now, similar but different, still and ebb and flow system.

I hate RO water, hate maybe too strong and I do use it in my dehue's but it kills when I used it in soil / promix grows. There's nothing in it all micro nutrients & minerals stripped from it. I used the GH 3 part + Flurolicious Plus and they alone don't provide all the elements necessary for a healthy grow. Spring water would be a better water if your house water isn't usable. imho.

At the end of a soil grow if i feed my plants RO water my leaves will start turning yellow within a few days after 2 applications of RO water ,my lower leaves will die off.

I use my house water now with the auto pots and the trio + cal / mag starting week 3 of flower Diamond Nectar,& Hyclean to help me with salt build up.. Before that its not needed ( with my house water) according to this chart

After reading this over it sounds confusing as fk but I'm too stoned to do any better at this point. My bad habit.

Last edited:
F

Farmerjohn1

Hey I'm new here but I 'm using auto pots now, similar but different, still and ebb and flow system.

I hate RO water, hate maybe too strong and I do use it in my dehue's but it kills when I used it in soil / promix grows. There's nothing in it all micro nutrients & minerals stripped from it. I used the GH 3 part + Flurolicious Plus and they alone don't provide all the elements necessary for a healthy grow. Spring water would be a better water if your house water isn't usable. imho.

At the end of a soil grow if i feed my plants RO water my leaves will start turning yellow within a few days after 2 applications of RO water ,my lower leaves will die off.

I use my house water now with the auto pots and the trio + cal / mag starting week 3 of flower Diamond Nectar,& Hyclean to help me with salt build up.. Before that its not needed ( with my house water) according to this chart

After reading this over it sounds confusing as fk but I'm too stoned to do any better at this point. My bad habit.
View attachment 2038159
thanks for the reply mate! Yeah i wish there was a way to measure the Cal lol. I've been reading a lot that it could possibly be the mineral deficiencies from using the R.O water because it strips all the minerals as you said. I guess just adding the trio + CalMag isn't enough to make up for it? I think I'm going to try out switching waters

F

Farmerjohn1

Good grief, my typos got out of hand b autocorrect blows and I clearly don't catch them all!

Are you pouring nutrient solution through your rocks? I would drop this daily for a week or two until they drop roots into the water underneath. Doing so will help wash down any salt buildup, get fresh nutrients to the roots and level out the pH at the rootball. I prefer pH closer to 6.0 but I don't think that's the main issue.
So the roots are in the water now, in the beginning i was manually top feeding to help them get nutes and had the water higher up to the basket so the bubbles would get the roots wet. I upped my PH a bit to 6 yesterday after reading that could be the issue.

F

Farmerjohn1

Have you checked your PAR? at leaf level?
As I got (2) KIND 420 lights and at first start at 30” above and 20% light power equals 275-300 PAR

Possibly ensure your little rootball area always remains soaked and your bubbler is running about 75% pressure. Also when young some say to keep your water level up to the cage that holds your rocks or close within an 1”

IMHO these type systems are cool and work great, I have a chiller set at 69-70 and air temps high in Veg 80-85 degrees and 75% humidity
I’m almost at 6 weeks and done 4 super-cropping defoliation times and ready for flower soon, I’ve never seen growth in my tent like this 👍
I have not, i do not have a PAR meter but im thinking i may need one now lol. sounds like i should def up the humidity also? I'm at average 50% right now. Roots are in the water well. Any reccomendation of if i should cut these damaged leaves off or not? I'm at the 5th node and would crop but i dont want to push the plant

Latest posts

Top Bottom