Reclaiming Ethanol? How many times can you use reclaim?

• Thread starter Spruce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Spruce

So I've just started the exciting journey of making my own concentrates. With amatuer lab equipment, i've managed to make my own vape carts which had been my favorite outcome of this adventure. I use only ethanol/everlcear to do my washes and after a couple of runs, i decided that evaporating it is too expensive. So i invested in some glassware and what would be considered a "simple still" or air still and have done a great job of recovering almost all of my ethanol after washing. My question is, how many times can i use this reclaim for the future washes? I'm under the assumption that the proof or percentage will degrade after each recovery? Also how low of a proof is too low? Im sure a distillers hydrometer would clear this up but i want to know what others experience is. Attached is a pic of my simple set up for reclaiming.
Reclaiming ethanol how many times can you use reclaim

Z

Zill

Spruce,

Few things….you do have a cold water source for the condenser, correct. Have you considered heating the alcohol/water in a water bath rather than placing the flask directly on the hot plate?

You can ensure the density of ETOH at then measure density after each use to track water content.

You need to be careful of azeotropes. Things that boil around the same temperature, like ETOH and water. When the flask gets low on ETOH the temp of the solution will rapidly shoot up. As it does it carries over a lot of contaminants you are trying to leave behind. Don’t take to dryness.

How many cycles? Indefinite.

Zill.

S

Spruce

Spruce,

Few things….you do have a cold water source for the condenser, correct. Have you considered heating the alcohol/water in a water bath rather than placing the flask directly on the hot plate?

You can ensure the density of ETOH at then measure density after each use to track water content.

You need to be careful of azeotropes. Things that boil around the same temperature, like ETOH and water. When the flask gets low on ETOH the temp of the solution will rapidly shoot up. As it does it carries over a lot of contaminants you are trying to leave behind. Don’t take to dryness.

How many cycles? Indefinite.

Zill.
Zill

I do have the condensor connected to a cooler filled with cooled water. it starts at about 50f and ends around 70F after each 1000ml flask. I figure too cold and condensate might enter the coil and dillute the recovery.

I have the hotplate narrowed down to reach exactly the boiling point of ETOH. I like to stop at a certain point in temp monitored reduction and switch to a different flask at which point i lower heat and boil off into the air the remaining ethanol.

I still havent done a density test on my recovered ETOH, but it may be the only thing to answer my question. I hope indefinitely is true lol

Z

Zill

I don't think the condenser can get too cold. But for this cold is ice water. You want to recover ( condense) the vapors leaving the flask.

Measure density. Easy. Make sure you store the recovered solvents in an air tight container. It will suck water out of the air.

Top Bottom