Should I be worried here? Roots out solo

• Thread starter Putthataway
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Putthataway

Put these in solo cups on June 1. Yesterday watered them and emptied the red solo drain cup after they drained. Came in the tent and and the roots are hanging out the drainage holes I cut. I am worried about damaging the roots removing from the solo cup. I have found slicing the cup and peeling down allows me to get the entire rootball out without loosing any dirt or shape, but I have never had them do this. Six of them did this all overnight. One clone I took, 4 trustful clones and one seed I got from nug from a dispensary.

Should i be worried here roots out solo
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Put these in solo cups on June 1. Yesterday watered them and emptied the red solo drain cup after they drained. Came in the tent and and the roots are hanging out the drainage holes I cut. I am worried about damaging the roots removing from the solo cup. I have found slicing the cup and peeling down allows me to get the entire rootball out without loosing any dirt or shape, but I have never had them do this. Six of them did this all overnight. One clone I took, 4 trustful clones and one seed I got from nug from a dispensary.
I would like to add one other nug of info, try to stay away from clear cups homie, it may not seem like a big deal, but as the plant starts to really spread its roots, they find the edges of those clear cups quick, and then the exposed roots will harden slightly, and you can end up with stunted seedlings. Just my nugget. Later homie!

P

Putthataway

I would like to add one other nug of info, try to stay away from clear cups homie, it may not seem like a big deal, but as the plant starts to really spread its roots, they find the edges of those clear cups quick, and then the exposed roots will harden slightly, and you can end up with stunted seedlings. Just my nugget. Later homie!
I put the clear cups inside a red frat house party cup as I have seen on this forum. I think I am done with the clear cups they are pita to split and peel. I liked the idea of seeing when they are root bound and shielding the light with the cup and the little drain. Next one is going in a red cup . I appreciate your input.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I put the clear cups inside a red frat house party cup as I have seen on this forum. I think I am done with the clear cups they are pita to split and peel. I liked the idea of seeing when they are root bound and shielding the light with the cup and the little drain. Next one is going in a red cup . I appreciate your input.
Oh ok cool, I missed that very important detail. Carry on! I’ll shut up now 🤣😂😎😜

P

Putthataway

I went to buy some new scissors. Last one broke cutting those clear cups and been getting by using child scissors. This site has taught me to keep tools separate and clean so I wasn’t interested in using my plants shears. I picked these up at Walmart I figured they could cut a cup. Took it out the package cleaned it gave it the scissor chop and this happened . Almost got me and my pets

8C261793 4BE2 485E 9975 A748101E3A98
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I went to buy some new scissors. Last one broke cutting those clear cups and been getting by using child scissors. This site has taught me to keep tools separate and clean so I wasn’t interested in using my plants shears. I picked these up at Walmart I figured they could cut a cup. Took it out the package cleaned it gave it the scissor chop and this happened . Almost got me and my pets
🤣

P

Putthataway

No joke. The scissors never cut anything. I put 91 % alcohol on them . Dried, wiped when trying to get the needle to fan and dry the shear let loose. In my case my foot and dogs were quick enough to avoid it, and it was sharp side down.

I

imgrowing

1 trick i learned was to cut the bottom off the clear cup and slice it down the side, then put that into the red cup with the drain holes already cut, then fill and plant.
it you want to check the roots just gently tip the clear cup out and look.
and when you up pot place the entire contraption in the new pot and fill with soil.
then remove the cups and you have a perfect size hole to put the clear cup back in and then gently pull the clear cup out.
BAM , bob's your uncle.
whatever that saying means

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
A never ending battle to find quality things and avoid poorly made things. I found some good scissors at Lowe's. Allmetal l ones, no plastic, and ones that have more leverage, hooked/curved blades. You can usually go by 2 things in cases like this......the heavier the better, and the ones that cost more. But it's worth it to not have to keep buying them.

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
1 trick i learned was to cut the bottom off the clear cup and slice it down the side, then put that into the red cup with the drain holes already cut, then fill and plant.
and when you up pot place the entire contraption in the new pot and fill with soil.
then remove the cups and you have a perfect size hole to put the clear cup back in and then gently pull the clear cup out.
BAM , bob's your uncle.
I always just waited until they were dry, place the cup in between my open hands, and roll it back and forth so dirt separates from the side of the cup, grab stem, pull it up. Easy peasy, I do it this way to reuse the cups. No need to keep drilling holes in new ones over and over.

P

Putthataway

BAM , bob's your uncle.
That makes a lot of sense…. Except bob thing ? Lol

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I made a quick video showing how to transfer out of cups for y’all. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom