So overwhelmed, I need a mentor! :)

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I would like to go as organic as possible.
The organic growers among us like to hear that! We don't always agree, though. Knowing that will help us provide advice. We need to talk about mixing soil, too.

Time can be a factor so I would also like to be as simple as possible.
Yes. Simple is good. Getting through the first grow is a big deal. Not everything needs to be decided now, though. There will be plenty of opportunities to learn along the way.

The Ocean Forest soils seems to get good reviews here and sounds like a good one for a newbie like me.
I agree, except mixing in a few amendments will help--especially perlite. Cannabis roots like water, but don't like to be wet. So, soil that drains well is very important. Perlite does that for us. There are other ways, but perlite is simple to use.

I also see all the liquids out there... those would be the synthetic, correct?
Correct, mostly. There are a few that claim to be organic.

Would those be for Ph or for helping the vegetation and/or flower process?
Synthetics? No. They're just a different way to feed a plant. I think they are generally less forgiving, so they require more skill. Organic nutrients are a good way to start, but after a few grows, you may want to try different methods. I started with synthetics, and it didn't go well for me. I switched to organics on my second or third grow and have continued with them. I still have synthetics on the shelf, though, and use them occasionally if I think a plant needs a boost. One big difference between the two is synthetics affect the plant quickly. Organics are slower.

Newty

Newty

Well this sucks, no pun intended!

So, it's better to blow filtered air out and not filter the air in? I would think it healthier for the plants to have the air in filtered and allow the bad air pushed out from the bottom. I was thinking of getting a 2nd filter... just for this situation. Filter it in and out.
The point of the carbon filter on the exhaust fan at the top of your tent is to catch the smell of your plants in flower so your house doesn't smell like weed.

You can absolutely run filters in and out,
I run what's called an Active Intake System, I have inline fans that blow air into my tent from the bottom while the fan at the top sucks the air out.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I run what's called an Active Intake System, I have inline fans that blow air into my tent from the bottom while the fan at the top sucks the air out.
What size tent is it?

Stokes

Stokes

LoL, IDK much about blueberries, except they draw bears. 🫤 I do know both plants like acidic soil. That's what we have in our yard. I've never known blueberries to be grown in tents under artificial light, though. (Maybe someone is doing it?)

Organic growing means there are microbes in the soil that feed the plant, so it is the microbes that need care and feeding. That's why pH matters less in organic grows. Apparently, the microbes adapt to different pH levels. With synthetic nutrients, however, the plant is fed directly. No microbes are involved. That's why pH matters more with synthetic nutrients. The pH needs to be at the optimal level for the complete range of nutrients to be processed by the plant.

No worries. I've decided you're one of the good guys. Control + B turns bolding on and off in browsers. I've hit that by mistake a few times. Just highlight the text and hit Ctrl+b till it goes away. The same is true for Ctrl+i for Italics.

Im not gonna say that living soil growers should be ph’ing their water, because as i said, the biological processes in the root zone of living soils will buffer for most people. Most. I just have issue with organic growers assuming that everyones ph out of the tap is 6.0-7.5. Most people will be in this area or pretty close to it. But ive seen people with 9+, also people with sub 5.5, and all had immediate improvement when they helped their plants along with ph’d water.

Ive seen people start blueberries in tents. I start stuff for my garden in my tent.

P

Phyto

The Ocean Forest soils seems to get good reviews here and sounds like a good one for a newbie like me. I also see all the liquids out there... those would be the synthetic, correct? Would those be for Ph or for helping the vegetation and/or flower process?
Yes, liquid nutes are synthetic. Here's the difference between organic and synthetic. In organic ferts they are not immediately available to the plants, the soil microbes need to break down the fertilizer into forms available to the plant, but they're much easier to use, two part, usually a veg and bloom mix. In synthetic fertilizers the nutes are bound to a salt (not table salt), when mixed with water the molecules dissasociate and the nutrient is immediately available to the plant. The pros for organic, they are simplier to use and don't require PHing (unless your water is horrible), the cons are it takes longer to see results, since the microbes have to break down the nutes. Pros for synthetic, the nutes are immediately available to the plant, and you see results more quickly, but the nute solution must be in the correct PH range for the plants to absorb them, and the salts can build up in the soil neccesitating a flush to remove the built up salts from the soil or lockouts can occur. I've used both methods, and IMHO dry amendments are easier since you don't have to feed as often, and flushing midway through your grow is not necessary.

If you're going to use FFOF soil, then my suggestion would be add about 15-20% additional perlite. I would suggest a simple organic two part nute regime, a veg, and a bloom (A&B) Geoflora is a good one, if available in your area. Don't fall into the additives trap, you can spend hundreds on things like "bud sweeteners", bud hardeners, and various other add-on nutes/supplements. For the most part they're unecessary and designed to separate your money from your wallet. Remember, all you really need is NPK and micronutrients, and for the most part any good soil will have the microntrients in it ,only additional thing you might need is calmag, depending on whether you have hard or soft water.

D

DougV

I have inline fans that blow air into my tent from the bottom while the fan at the top sucks the air out.
I have the same, except I have a single fan blowing in, and two fans, one above each light pulling heat out. No GAC filter, odor is not an issue.

On blueberries I have a friend outside of Tampa who grows blueberries and has for years. He grows a bush in a 30 gallon plastic drum, bottoms out for drainage. He fills the drum with pine bark, no other media. His water is alkaline and hard. He uses organic fertilizer purchased in bulk. His bushes are healthy and his berries excellent. Just to pee in the pot, he does not use a pH pen. 😁

Stokes

Stokes

I have the same, except I have a single fan blowing in, and two fans, one above each light pulling heat out. No GAC filter, odor is not an issue.

On blueberries I have a friend outside of Tampa who grows blueberries and has for years. He grows a bush in a 30 gallon plastic drum, bottoms out for drainage. He fills the drum with pine bark, no other media. His water is alkaline and hard. He uses organic fertilizer purchased in bulk. His bushes are healthy and his berries excellent. Just to pee in the pot, he does not use a pH pen. 😁

Because of the pine needles. He’s passively altering his ph.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Back from the local hardware store. I bought the basics only.

20240519 112812

I was going to get a little tray with the top and the peat pellets in it... however I have had issues with watering keeping the peat in the new soil as directed and do not want to break it from the roots.

So I purchased these little "bio degradable" pots to start the seeds in. Or maybe just stick them in a paper towel and wait until they are sprouted. I worry about fibers from the paper towels.

I also purchased a seed warming mat when I purchased my tent kit. Anyone use these?

Mars Hydro heat mat

Should I start my seeds in the tent? Or is that space too big for sprouting seeds? Maybe I should have gotten the covered one.

I was looking at nutrients but at this point I am still not sure what I need. I am sure I will need something to boost growth but I have enough to get my seeds going. Should be here Wed the 22nd. 😁

Now to correct the tent. I hope I can do this without having to remove the lights.

Newty

Newty

View attachment 2174424

I was going to get a little tray with the top and the peat pellets in it... however I have had issues with watering keeping the peat in the new soil as directed and do not want to break it from the roots.

So I purchased these little "bio degradable" pots to start the seeds in. Or maybe just stick them in a paper towel and wait until they are sprouted. I worry about fibers from the paper towels.

I also purchased a seed warming mat when I purchased my tent kit. Anyone use these?

View attachment 2174430

Should I start my seeds in the tent? Or is that space too big for sprouting seeds? Maybe I should have gotten the covered one.

I was looking at nutrients but at this point I am still not sure what I need. I am sure I will need something to boost growth but I have enough to get my seeds going. Should be here Wed the 22nd. 😁

Now to correct the tent. I hope I can do this without having to remove the lights.
Should just be able to flip your fan around without to much trouble of removing other things.

You can absolutely sprout seeds in your tent!
You can make humidity domes if you need to out of Tupperware containers, water jugs, etc.

I personally use General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutrients. The 3 are called Micro, Grow, and Bloom. I also keep General Hydroponics CALiMAGic on hand as well.
I use Fox Farm Happy Frog and Ocean Forest soils, along with the nutrients above and my grows do quite well and trouble free.

I start my seeds in Fox Farm Happy Frog and when I transplant to final pot, I mix 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog.

If you go with the Flora series nutrients, here is a good feed chart I found that I follow almost exclusively.
Screenshot 20240302 220143 Drive

Stokes

Stokes

View attachment 2174424

View attachment 2174430

Those peat cups can be garbage, give them a hell of a good soak before potting imo

Clay pots can be a real dick when it comes to transplants too. Solo cups are ideal when it comes to transplanting , because you can poke holes in the bottom, squeeze them to get the cup to flex so it slides out better, and roots dont stick to sides

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

and I forgot to post that before I started 🤣

Changed the flow. Doing so I was able to get it a bit higher allowing for the taller plants. I tied the wires the best I could, added the fan and a shelf hahaha.
20240519 124357

What is the best method to allow air into the bottom without allowing light in? I can run a 4" vent hose through one of the holes, or open one of the square bottom windows. Both are against a wall, the back one has a window above it.... the right side is exposed to the room. I'm afraid the wall will constrict air in.

If you're going to use FFOF soil, then my suggestion would be add about 15-20% additional perlite. I would suggest a simple organic two part nute regime, a veg, and a bloom (A&B) Geoflora is a good one, if available in your area. Don't fall into the additives trap, you can spend hundreds on things like "bud sweeteners", bud hardeners, and various other add-on nutes/supplements. For the most part they're unecessary and designed to separate your money from your wallet. Remember, all you really need is NPK and micronutrients, and for the most part any good soil will have the microntrients in it ,only additional thing you might need is calmag, depending on whether you have hard or soft water.

So do I mix all this together in the soil then add it to the pots correct? I am not calculating to add on the surface I hope LOL. Should I do this before I seed? or after sprouting when I do their 1st transfer?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

I personally use General Hydroponics Flora Series Nutrients. The 3 are called Micro, Grow, and Bloom. I also keep General Hydroponics CALiMAGic on hand as well.
I use Fox Farm Happy Frog and Ocean Forest soils, along with the nutrients above and my grows do quite well and trouble free.
Are these all mixed together with the water? If so this seems pretty simple.
Those peat cups can be garbage, give them a hell of a good soak before potting imo
Noted. I can remove them before transplanting if better. 👍

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mothman

Mothman

Carefully watch your plants grow and take notes and pictures.
Great advice. Take pics, and notes about what you did or didn’t do, plus observations. I keep a pocket size notepad near the tent and each day I make a few notes, date it, and file it for later.

The pics provide context to the notes for later review. It’s like training wheels for new growers like us!

lenhug

lenhug

Great advice. Take pics, and notes about what you did or didn’t do, plus observations. I keep a pocket size notepad near the tent and each day I make a few notes, date it, and file it for later.

The pics provide context to the notes for later review. It’s like training wheels for new growers like us!

Another vote for this. I have spreadsheets and notes on my phone starting from germination to harvest for all my grows. So useful to read through my thoughts, decisions, disasters and successes and all extremely useful to help with future grows. Highly recommend doing this.

P

Phyto

and I forgot to post that before I started 🤣

Changed the flow. Doing so I was able to get it a bit higher allowing for the taller plants. I tied the wires the best I could, added the fan and a shelf hahaha.
View attachment 2174537

What is the best method to allow air into the bottom without allowing light in? I can run a 4" vent hose through one of the holes, or open one of the square bottom windows. Both are against a wall, the back one has a window above it.... the right side is exposed to the room. I'm afraid the wall will constrict air in.

So do I mix all this together in the soil then add it to the pots correct? I am not calculating to add on the surface I hope LOL. Should I do this before I seed? or after sprouting when I do their 1st transfer?
Yes, mix the perlite and the amendments into the soil before you fill the bags. Later on you "top dress" by adding the dry nutes to the top of the soil and scratching them into the surface, then water thoroughly. Always start the seedlings in a seedling mix in a small container, like a solo cup or a 4" plastic nursery pot. Once they get 3-4 sets of leaves and a good root system, transplant into their final home. You don't want to put the seeds directly into the final pot, for a couple reasons, first the soil may be a little "hot" for brand new seedlings, and second it's really hard to properly water a seedling in a big container.

Top Bottom