Summer time flowering with heat problems need help

• Thread starter Eclipted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Eclipted

So essentially, I live in Texas. It’s going to be very hot and humid these upcoming months and the plants just can’t be run any longer im running out of room lol. I have to flip to flower here soon. Roughly in 3 weeks. I have no option but to have my grow in a shed outside. The shed, while insulated, still has plenty of gaps for air and humidity to get into it. Outside temps yesterday were 80 degrees and my tent was reading 88 which is too hot especially for me to not be running co2.
I’m going to add a portable ac unit and run the heat ducting out of a vent in the shed. I’m thinking I should probably just duct a vent directly into my tent. The problem is once that ac unit hits the set temperature it cuts the cold off and keeps blowing which boosts my humidity. Would buying an ink bird solve this? I’ve never used one. I was Also thinking I should add a bag of that co2 fungus or whatever it is but not sure how to keep the appropriate levels within the tent. Really I’m just needing some ideas from you guys. If I add more fans to the tent, co2 bag, have good defoliation, and an inkbird connected to a portable ac with it ducting into my tent, would I be able to escape bud Rot? I’m running a 4x4 grow under a spider farmer sf4000 and this is gonna be my first big harvest I don’t wanna lose it all.

Drying them is gonna be a whole nother bridge to cross too 🤦🏻‍♂️

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Im kind of in a similar situation with a shed and grow space within that. I have a window mounted ac that I wanted to duct into the space, but how was the ac going to know the inside grow space temp!? Scratched that idea. Then i started thinking I could duct half of it to the grow space and half to my “lung room”. Im still trying to figure it out as the temps in my area are starting to raise. I completely opened the grow space and shed door at one point to mitigate over heating 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is it practical for you to cool the entire shed and intake and that air into the tent without ducting?

Mazeblue1

Mazeblue1

As long as you keep your humidity around 70% those temps are actually just fine as long as you’re using led lighting.
I’m in week 4 flower I keep my temps at 85 and rh 65 that is the sweet spot concentrate on that and you don’t need to worry about ac

E

Eclipted

Im kind of in a similar situation with a shed and grow space within that. I have a window mounted ac that I wanted to duct into the space, but how was the ac going to know the inside grow space temp!? Scratched that idea. Then i started thinking I could duct half of it to the grow space and half to my “lung room”. Im still trying to figure it out as the temps in my area are starting to raise. I completely opened the grow space and shed door at one point to mitigate over heating 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is it practical for you to cool the entire shed and intake and that air into the tent without ducting?
Idk if I’ll be able to cool the entire shed to the correct temps. However, with the portable ac and ink bird controller i can control the ac turning on and off automatically using that ink bird. It comes with a temp probe id slide into the tent then I plug the ac into the ink bird itself. Pretty neat. Only half my ac would be ducted into tent, the other half would be allowed to free blow to cool surrounding areas. I
As long as you keep your humidity around 70% those temps are actually just fine as long as you’re using led lighting.
I’m in week 4 flower I keep my temps at 85 and rh 65 that is the sweet spot concentrate on that and you don’t need to worry about ac
and okay bet that! I’m using a spider farmer sf4000 which is LED. Keeping a close eye on that vpd chart and don’t worry, I have a fan blowing on my light to keep it cool, and will have 2 oscillating fans on the plants. Plus the ac ducting into the tent and the exhaust on constant. Plus I’ll keep the defol good!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Since air conditioners suck in warm air, remove the heat, and blow that cool air back into the room, wouldn’t you be ahead to have two vents connected to the tent? One exhaust out of the tent into the air conditioner, intake, and one going from there AC outlet with the cold air back into the tent. Wouldn’t That be a lot more efficient and possibly you could use the AC thermostat to control the tent temperatures? Since portable ACs are pretty inefficient Anyway, I would think if you had a close loop, it would run an awful lot less! Just food for thought. I have faith that you habitual jury riggers should be able to figure out how to route the warm air from the tent into the AC!😁🐒 And if the AC unit has a dehumidifier mode, you might just be able to use it to control the humidity without the AC part on

E

Eclipted

Since air conditioners suck in warm air, remove the heat, and blow that cool air back into the room, wouldn’t you be ahead to have two vents connected to the tent? One exhaust out of the tent into the air conditioner, intake, and one going from there AC outlet with the cold air back into the tent. Wouldn’t That be a lot more efficient and possibly you could use the AC thermostat to control the tent temperatures? Since portable ACs are pretty inefficient Anyway, I would think if you had a close loop, it would run an awful lot less! Just food for thought. I have faith that you habitual jury riggers should be able to figure out how to route the warm air from the tent into the AC!😁🐒 And if the AC unit has a dehumidifier mode, you might just be able to use it to control the humidity without the AC part on
Im liking that idea!!! Good looks my friend thank you

Newty

Newty

Awesome advice you received.

I want to comment on "will an inkbird work for that".
Inkbirds will only work with a hard switch, it won't work with digital devices. It kills all power to the device as soon as the inkbird triggers it off and most digital devices will go into standby or stay off when power is resupplied after it was cut.
Basically the device has to have an always on switch and be able to turn on as soon as it's plugged into the wall.

E

Eclipted

I gotcha that makes sense and just saved me some money cause I was gonna buy that inkbird here asap lol. I guess I could keep the ac constantly on, but my power bill 🤣

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Idk if I’ll be able to cool the entire shed to the correct temps. However, with the portable ac and ink bird controller i can control the ac turning on and off automatically using that ink bird. It comes with a temp probe id slide into the tent then I plug the ac into the ink bird itself. Pretty neat. Only half my ac would be ducted into tent, the other half would be allowed to free blow to cool surrounding areas. I

and okay bet that! I’m using a spider farmer sf4000 which is LED. Keeping a close eye on that vpd chart and don’t worry, I have a fan blowing on my light to keep it cool, and will have 2 oscillating fans on the plants. Plus the ac ducting into the tent and the exhaust on constant. Plus I’ll keep the defol good!
I missed that it was “portable” 🤦🏼‍♂️ 😬 what you described sounds legit! : ) very interested in the overall outcome : )

Newty

Newty

If you had a duct going from the AC into the tent, be nice if you could have an automatic duct shut off when the AC kicks off so fan air doesn't keep blowing in.
You couldn't use humidity levels to control it, I would be afraid of the duct getting shut when the AC is running and you want the air to come in.
If the automatic shutter could sense an amperage change or something along those lines, it could potentially work.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
If you had a duct going from the AC into the tent, be nice if you could have an automatic duct shut off when the AC kicks off so fan air doesn't keep blowing in.
You couldn't use humidity levels to control it, I would be afraid of the duct getting shut when the AC is running and you want the air to come in.
If the automatic shutter could sense an amperage change or something along those lines, it could potentially work.
That’s a badass idea!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I wish I had an old unit laying around, I would have it apart right now trying to figure out how to get it done lol.
I’ve been thinking about it : ) what’s the part/sensor called that senses voltage drop to then signal whatever else needs it? Does that even make sense? 😂

E

Eclipted

I did see a few YouTube vids showing how to bypass a window unit ac with an ink bird could be sum to check out 👀

D

DougV

I have a similar problem in Virginia. (I’m from Texas.) My tents are in a barn. I use three growing areas. An old canning room, way too short for tents, but maintains a pretty constant 69 degree 60% humidity, for drying, clone moms, and seed germination. My electric costs range between $25 to $60 monthly. Seven months a year I’m at $25 monthly, just enough to keep a couple of mom’s going, 5 months I’m around $60 monthly when cloning and raising seedlings. I use the same area for tropical plants, starting flowers/vegetables for spring. In my barn are two tents, one 4x8 I use to grow out seedlings and growing through veg state. It runs six months a year, using 5-7 amps, or about $75 per month. Temps and humidity aren’t a big deal at this growth stage, a 1000 watt heater when lights are off in the winter keeps it warm enough and a 350 CFM passive cooling system keeps it adequately cooled. Then my pain in the rear flowering tent. I’ll get to it shortly, it’s costs are about $150 per month.

If you live in the dry parts, Panhandle and West Texas, parts of the Hill Country, where humidity is very low you may have options differing from Gulf Coast regions. In the very low humidity areas you may have the option of a swamp cooler (evaporation cooling). Big advantage is cost. They are easy to DIY and inexpensive to operate. Disadvantage is they work by running a fan through a moist surface and cool by evaporating water, so humidity will go up. You may need to add a dehumidifier. Get one with a pump so removed moisture can be recycled to the cooler. Same principal is used in animal confinement barns using coolcells. You’ll want a peristaltic pump to continually add a tiny amount of bleach or other disinfectant to your cooling water to prevent bacteria build up, as in Legionnaires disease.

If humidity is higher, as it is in much of Texas, evap systems will not cool. You only have two options, AC or removing heat with improved air exchange. I’ll start with AC. Big problem areas are humidity/condensation, costs, and reliability. If you’re growing for profit or generate your own electricity, these problems are easy to solve. You mentioned shed and tent so I’m assuming you are small scale and weed is illegal Texas, so, I’ll guess your grow is for you with perhaps a little profit on the side.

If you try to use a portable AC inside your tent, good luck. The AC will cool the small space quickly, and thin tent walls offer no insulation allowing it to heat up so quickly your AC will cycle off/on every few minutes and burn out quickly. Worse as it cools you’ll end up with a virtual rain forest from condensation on tent walls and hydroponic systems. If you add a dehumidifier you can get the condensation under control at the cost of negating the AC. Those portable AC units that have dehumidifiers built in don’t do what you think. They don’t work with the AC, they are either/or systems, you can have AC or dehumidify, but not both at the same time. To avoid condensation you can insulate your tent to R30. I tried that using R15 4x8 foam board. On a 4x8 that’s 14 pieces of foam board at $40 each. (Usually you can skip insulating the bottom.) BUT, it’s a PITA to get in the grow tent, and you have created a sealed room so CO2 is mandatory. (If you like rabbits, a wall full of rabbit hutches will provide CO2, compost/manure, and rabbit meat to eat. I saw this in a commercial grow operation (aquatic, bog, and tropical plants) in Italy.)

If you want to build a room to house your tent, you can do that too. You’re still going to have to insulate that room to R30 so now you have the cost of framing and insulating a room. You can get a Cool-bot to control LG window units. That will let you cool down to temps way below what AC’s like to run at and avoids the built in control systems. Storeitcold.com. You’ll still need a dehumidifier and CO2, so you’ll need to size your AC unit to offset the heat generated by lights and dehumidifier.

I got one more possibility for you, but first think of all the costs you’re adding to your grow. AC’s, dehumidifiers, CO2 systems, AC controllers, insulation, electronic controls, framing, and so on. You could easily add 15 amps worth of electrical cost or roughly $150 per month grow costs, plus your existing costs.

Or, the low cost option. I saved it for last because for it to make sense and cents you have to consider the alternatives. Start using two grow tents, one for seeds through veg only. Lower cost lights, lower wattage, smaller and cheaper tent, and the plants have a better ability to handle temperature and humidity. Mine uses a 420 watt light and two 100 watt lights if needed. Simple passive ventilation system and as light leakage is not a big deal you can unzip doors to allow for better cooling. A box fan inside for air movement. 6-8 weeks from seed to ready to flip to bloom. Then simply move plants to your flowering tent and shut the veg tent down for six weeks. Pots you pick up and move. Hydroponic plants just make sure you use the same size net pots so transfer is easy. (To save costs I use homemade DWC setup for veg and transfer to RDWC for flowering.) Keeping veg plants out of flowering tent gives you an extra turn or two flowering with no extra equipment needed. That extra turn allows you to shut everything down during the heat of summer without losing any quantity, quality, and/or variety. It has the added advantage of keeping electric cost down.

Then in your flowering tent switch to an active ventilation system. I have two 630 watt LED lights, so I use an 8 inch variable speed fan for air intake and two six inch fans for exhaust. The intake pulls air from ground level, the two exhausts pull air from above the lights and vent outside. I use both a 16” box fan and a 16” oscillating fan for interior air movement. Before I switched to an active system I was hitting low 90’s at night and mid 80’s during the day, with lights on at night. Now I hit 76 with lights on and 70’s with lights off. I can no longer control humidity, but it’s dryer now and lots of air movement has forestalled any mold/moisture problems. I’m finishing off a grow now and I’ll shut down indoor grow until August and flowering until September. I lose one indoor growing cycle but still get three indoor grows. Plus I can grow outdoors when I can’t grow indoors.

To me, there are your choices. Spend time and money playing with AC, etc., or use active ventilation and veg grow tent to more effectively manage flowering and shut down for a few months.

Doug

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I did see a few YouTube vids showing how to bypass a window unit ac with an ink bird could be sum to check out 👀
Now we’re talkin!!! : ) im still in the “im too scare to cut holes in my grow space and not wanting to mess with it faze” lol! Im going to go look around. Thanks for the direction of travel! : )

E

Eclipted

I have a similar problem in Virginia. (I’m from Texas.) My tents are in a barn. I use three growing areas. An old canning room, way too short for tents, but maintains a pretty constant 69 degree 60% humidity, for drying, clone moms, and seed germination. My electric costs range between $25 to $60 monthly. Seven months a year I’m at $25 monthly, just enough to keep a couple of mom’s going, 5 months I’m around $60 monthly when cloning and raising seedlings. I use the same area for tropical plants, starting flowers/vegetables for spring. In my barn are two tents, one 4x8 I use to grow out seedlings and growing through veg state. It runs six months a year, using 5-7 amps, or about $75 per month. Temps and humidity aren’t a big deal at this growth stage, a 1000 watt heater when lights are off in the winter keeps it warm enough and a 350 CFM passive cooling system keeps it adequately cooled. Then my pain in the rear flowering tent. I’ll get to it shortly, it’s costs are about $150 per month.

If you live in the dry parts, Panhandle and West Texas, parts of the Hill Country, where humidity is very low you may have options differing from Gulf Coast regions. In the very low humidity areas you may have the option of a swamp cooler (evaporation cooling). Big advantage is cost. They are easy to DIY and inexpensive to operate. Disadvantage is they work by running a fan through a moist surface and cool by evaporating water, so humidity will go up. You may need to add a dehumidifier. Get one with a pump so removed moisture can be recycled to the cooler. Same principal is used in animal confinement barns using coolcells. You’ll want a peristaltic pump to continually add a tiny amount of bleach or other disinfectant to your cooling water to prevent bacteria build up, as in Legionnaires disease.

If humidity is higher, as it is in much of Texas, evap systems will not cool. You only have two options, AC or removing heat with improved air exchange. I’ll start with AC. Big problem areas are humidity/condensation, costs, and reliability. If you’re growing for profit or generate your own electricity, these problems are easy to solve. You mentioned shed and tent so I’m assuming you are small scale and weed is illegal Texas, so, I’ll guess your grow is for you with perhaps a little profit on the side.

If you try to use a portable AC inside your tent, good luck. The AC will cool the small space quickly, and thin tent walls offer no insulation allowing it to heat up so quickly your AC will cycle off/on every few minutes and burn out quickly. Worse as it cools you’ll end up with a virtual rain forest from condensation on tent walls and hydroponic systems. If you add a dehumidifier you can get the condensation under control at the cost of negating the AC. Those portable AC units that have dehumidifiers built in don’t do what you think. They don’t work with the AC, they are either/or systems, you can have AC or dehumidify, but not both at the same time. To avoid condensation you can insulate your tent to R30. I tried that using R15 4x8 foam board. On a 4x8 that’s 14 pieces of foam board at $40 each. (Usually you can skip insulating the bottom.) BUT, it’s a PITA to get in the grow tent, and you have created a sealed room so CO2 is mandatory. (If you like rabbits, a wall full of rabbit hutches will provide CO2, compost/manure, and rabbit meat to eat. I saw this in a commercial grow operation (aquatic, bog, and tropical plants) in Italy.)

If you want to build a room to house your tent, you can do that too. You’re still going to have to insulate that room to R30 so now you have the cost of framing and insulating a room. You can get a Cool-bot to control LG window units. That will let you cool down to temps way below what AC’s like to run at and avoids the built in control systems. Storeitcold.com. You’ll still need a dehumidifier and CO2, so you’ll need to size your AC unit to offset the heat generated by lights and dehumidifier.

I got one more possibility for you, but first think of all the costs you’re adding to your grow. AC’s, dehumidifiers, CO2 systems, AC controllers, insulation, electronic controls, framing, and so on. You could easily add 15 amps worth of electrical cost or roughly $150 per month grow costs, plus your existing costs.

Or, the low cost option. I saved it for last because for it to make sense and cents you have to consider the alternatives. Start using two grow tents, one for seeds through veg only. Lower cost lights, lower wattage, smaller and cheaper tent, and the plants have a better ability to handle temperature and humidity. Mine uses a 420 watt light and two 100 watt lights if needed. Simple passive ventilation system and as light leakage is not a big deal you can unzip doors to allow for better cooling. A box fan inside for air movement. 6-8 weeks from seed to ready to flip to bloom. Then simply move plants to your flowering tent and shut the veg tent down for six weeks. Pots you pick up and move. Hydroponic plants just make sure you use the same size net pots so transfer is easy. (To save costs I use homemade DWC setup for veg and transfer to RDWC for flowering.) Keeping veg plants out of flowering tent gives you an extra turn or two flowering with no extra equipment needed. That extra turn allows you to shut everything down during the heat of summer without losing any quantity, quality, and/or variety. It has the added advantage of keeping electric cost down.

Then in your flowering tent switch to an active ventilation system. I have two 630 watt LED lights, so I use an 8 inch variable speed fan for air intake and two six inch fans for exhaust. The intake pulls air from ground level, the two exhausts pull air from above the lights and vent outside. I use both a 16” box fan and a 16” oscillating fan for interior air movement. Before I switched to an active system I was hitting low 90’s at night and mid 80’s during the day, with lights on at night. Now I hit 76 with lights on and 70’s with lights off. I can no longer control humidity, but it’s dryer now and lots of air movement has forestalled any mold/moisture problems. I’m finishing off a grow now and I’ll shut down indoor grow until August and flowering until September. I lose one indoor growing cycle but still get three indoor grows. Plus I can grow outdoors when I can’t grow indoors.

To me, there are your choices. Spend time and money playing with AC, etc., or use active ventilation and veg grow tent to more effectively manage flowering and shut down for a few months.

Doug
Thank you! This is some awesome information brother I appreciate it 🙏💪🏻

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter

Doug
Hey thats a lot of great first hand info!!! Thanks for posting this up! More info to piece together the puzzle : )

Top Bottom