Switching Light Cycles

• Thread starter AlaskaJeff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

I've got a 3x6 grow closet and have seven plants germinating in dixie cups. 2 of the 7 plants just sprouted today. At what point do I change my light cycle to 18/6 or 20/4 from the constant light they are under now? Thx. Oh, and Alaska is as awesome as you can imagine. :)

LI grows

LI grows

I keep light on 24/7 until they're tall enough then they go to 12/12 for 9 weeks.
20/4 works, 18/6 works.

I heard it was cold in Alaska. If you go to 24/7 you wont waste electric heating and you can eliminate timers..

They say the roots grow better with a dark period. To compensate I use Rapid Start and Voodoo juice to help the roots. Voodoo juice is expensive$20 1/4 litre. Rapid Start is very inexpensive $6 for 1Oz. You can get by with just that ,

Last edited:
chopper dogg

chopper dogg

At the end or near end of their seedling phase, about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. Many will debate 24/7 vs 20/4, 18/6, etc cycles, once in veg. I've noticed heather plants during veg with a dark cycle. Like all organic species they like a rest period.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

I had read that somewhere before and thought it made, err, organic sense :) This individual was an experienced grower who had completed many grows using a variety of light cycles for mainly trainwreck, as I recall. I want to say he started at 20/4 then over a 4 wk veg went to like 16/8 and then 12/12 flower. Some of his words that stuck with me are to "extend the night cycle" not the other way around. Anywho
In my current case the question is now moot as I have 6 of 7 germinated (4 satori/2 cheese)! cooo.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Welcome to the farm from your neighbor, i have never done a side by side but ive vegged both ways, to be honest i felt the difference was negligible. A good innoculant has been more important for roots than a dark period as junpincactus highlighted in his post about microbial loop theory yesterday.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

I heard it was cold in Alaska. If you go to 24/7 you wont waste electric heating and you can eliminate timers..
Yeah, I was wondering about that after you said this earlier. That actually got me thinking how 24/7 might be favorable to me in keeping internodal length down(?) if I continue to have these temp swings. This morning I had a temp of 60 after leaving the heater setting a bit lower than yesterday morning's opening temp of 90. Bottom line though is I have to use a heater to avoid freezing as it has gotten down to 32 at night and my grow closet is in an outdoor shed. There might be some nights in mid-July that stay above 55, but not many. Otherwise it's colder at night.

LI grows

LI grows

I was prepared for a cold winter in NY. turned out very mild and my AC was down. for about a week above 90 temps. The yield suffered hoping next week they bounce back now im dialed in with AC and Heat.
My Veg chamber stays at 74 with the light on 24/7
I harvest 8 plants a week.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I veg in 18/6... gives the plant some down time, they do need to rest. then two weeks before I change to flower I change the times to 16/8. these 2 hours of night change send a signal to the plant that it is getting close to fall, so it starts preparing for flower. then I switch to 11/13. extra hour of night, for any sativa % in strain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom