The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bull Trout

Bull Trout

I live in a relatively OG less region. But I will say this. I have been around a bit. And strains of the day always had the origin of the herb attached, AKA Maui Wowie, Mendo, Humbolt, Honeydew, Tacoma Coma, Trinity, Gallatin Green, Indiana Bubble Gum, Salmon Creek, Tahoe OG. To name a few. And no attachment to a screen name of the said founder /slash seed popper.

Last edited:
whatthe215

whatthe215

so far TheCoolestMan is closest to the answer.

Matt nd Josh got an oz of (most likely) TK with a couple seeds in 1991. If the orgnkid on IG isn't a fake, then that cut they brought is the Ghost cut.

TK has been going strong since 1989.

Now, I just wonder how long Dave Richards' crew was running that spot. There was a lot of bullshit falling outta his mouth during the show, so take what he says with a big grain of salt. If they setup that spot in the mid 1980s and were truly moving TONS, perhaps TK is a bagseed from there.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
so far TheCoolestMan is closest to the answer.

Matt nd Josh got an oz of (most likely) TK with a couple seeds in 1991. If the orgnkid on IG isn't a fake, then that cut they brought is the Ghost cut.

TK has been going strong since 1989.

Now, I just wonder how long Dave Richards' crew was running that spot. There was a lot of bullshit falling outta his mouth during the show, so take what he says with a big grain of salt. If they setup that spot in the mid 1980s and were truly moving TONS, perhaps TK is a bagseed from there.

I agree with you WT215

It seems like they are not only one source to OG, but rather 2 or 3, that could also lead us to the Dog Bud too aka Chemdog. According to Big Ricky, the TK cut left Florida in the very late 80s, I'm guessing 88/89 but not sure, and went to north cal in a little town called "Hoopa"!

I'm speculating that TK could be a part of the strains that were used to create the dog bud. According to SC, who is the dude who sold the Dog Bud buds to Pbud and JB back in 1990/1, the buds were from nortcal south oregon border. Not too far from Hoopa somehow. I shares this infos with old peeps who told me it could be indeed. But we need more evideinces.

Still this tell us that the TK that went to Hoopa, could have been responsable for many other s1's, and even s2's etc over there. If it the case, then there's not one lead to OG, but maybe two. Maybe the Ghost cut, who could be the SFV cut according to orgnkid (he posted this info with a pic, and deleted it right after (lol)), is in fact a s1 of TK. So when the guy Ghost got the cut from orgnkid, the kid told him it was a s1 made by him out of the cut, which technically make it already s2, and the Ghost guy probably sold s3 seeds, and other peeps made s4 out them and so on.

ahaha still a lot to look for, this story is so passionating IMO, I will investigate this OG case all my life ahaha

Peace

Last edited:
sensicloud

sensicloud

However the story goes I think it's crazy to think about how some of the best og's like the TK etc which is one of today's most potent and sought after cuts is actually something like 25 years old.. People call the chem fam "today's top strains" but they're really strains of yesterday. the greats live on! :D

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I have a friend who was passed a cutting that was always called the "mystery kush" in Florida...He said it came to him as "88 Afghan" that was smuggled back by aid workers who were doing humanitarian work in refugee camps in Pakistan...The soviets (as well as the mujahideen, with the direction and encouragement of the CIA) were burning weed crops and the growers were fleeing for the border...After most Afghans fled the country the fields were re-planted with opium which helped finance both sides of the war. Some of the farmers brought seed with them, and some of this seed found it's way to the aid workers.

I believe this story because it explains a number of things:

A) why OG as we know it is stringy and frosted out -- a freak cultivar of hashplant that can withstand intense sunlight, rocky, sandy earth, and arid, dry conditions. Anyone notice how OG genetics completely fail when overwatered? But put it in an 80 degree room with 30 percent humidity and she makes rock hard, frosted nugs that stick to your clothes as you walk by.

B) why no more seedstock of OG-like genotypes have ever been found.
I believe the seeds that made this "88 afghan" were from one specific part of the world, which underwent a devastating war (and then a civil war) that wiped out most of the lineage, as well as turning the farmers and holders of the seeds into refugees who were never going to see their homes (or their plots) again. The remaining population was forced to abandon hashmaking to plant opium, which funded the religious civil war that led to the establishment of the Taliban.

The "mystery kush" "88 Afghan" is alive and well in Colorado (and Florida too, for that matter), and I've looked at it next to six examples of "legit" triangle kush, and it's definitely the same thing (gotta admit the mystery kush is way stronger and lacks a lot of the pine-sol/lemon smell...more of a rich hashy fuel cedar FUNK). I definitely believe this plant is the predecessor (and probably the same cut in some cases) to the OG we know today, and it only makes sense that it's a lost treasure from a war-torn region that, up until the war, was known for making the best hash in history.

edit to add I don't know if @ubi is still around but he's the one holding the 88 afghan, I'm pretty sure he's posted about it on here and maybe even thrown up some pics.

true grit

true grit

See I def believe that one more WS. The friend who I mentioned says those phenos were just expressions in kush (believe affy lines), from seeds they were rollin through in late 80's. He said those were all just the earthy hashy kush and no lemon until the lemon Thai was bred in during early-mid 90's. Then boom SFV etc. around 96. He actually gave me a couple of phenos from same kush beans he popped last year (80's kush stock) - I will start by saying I overcrowded a bed and lost them but he gave them to me labeled as og type and bubba type...well they really were pretty damn close in structure to each respectively. Wish I could finished flowering them, but did find it interesting to find pretty similar expressions to modern day cuts outta same stock

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I bet that land race Kush has oil profile representing some major defense mechanisms, North Hindu Peaks must have some harsh weather with some beautiful valley microclimates .....something special about them beans

whatthe215

whatthe215

From Nspecta: "Dogbud & TK very likely share some form of ancestry...one way or another...I ain't gonna speculate past that."

Either something happened prior to 1989 that links dogbud to TK via a parent or parent's pollen, or TK was sent to the dogbud breeders in 1989 and very quickly used to breed dogbud in time for a 1990 crop (pbud says the first dogbud packs were from a 1990 crop near CA/OR border.) But I don't think the holders of TK would have sent out a cut as soon as they found it considering it has always been so tightly held.

We're in 2014 now and genetic testing/sequencing methods are relatively common. It's only a matter of time until one of the labs starts offering sequencing services. Hopefully they will get a hold of Nspecta and run TK and Chem '91. Loompa was talking to someone who claims to have the RKS, it would be worthwhile to sequence that along side TK and '91. Hopefully the stars align.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I like it in theory but no way I'm giving any companies DNA or tissue samples that they could tissue culture. Not with impending commercial industry
Didn't think about that, good point....

suomynona

suomynona

I like it in theory but no way I'm giving any companies DNA or tissue samples that they could tissue culture. Not with impending commercial industry
I can see your point. And even respect it, but it is illogical in practice.

The fact is, with a little know how, just about any strain is acquired quite easily and cheaply. And where the commercial industry is concerned, well the deep pockets they come with would have no problem spending the cash to get the strains they want anyway. I assume most already have.

This quote/phrase seems to apply to the situation concerning this particular situation:

“Improvise, adapt and overcome”

true grit

true grit

Possibly but many folks working with genetics do not share or let out what they possess. Talking personal crosses, beans, etc.

Honestly don't care enough about genotyping or where og came from to give away any of the ogs I possess or work with. Hopefully others wouldn't either but you are right money buys about everything.

suomynona

suomynona

Possibly but many folks working with genetics do not share or let out what they possess. Talking personal crosses, beans, etc.

Honestly don't care enough about genotyping or where og came from to give away any of the ogs I possess or work with. Hopefully others wouldn't either but you are right money buys about everything.
I agree, I don't care where they came from. It is sometimes nice to know histories for breeding projects, but as far as commercial production is concerned, it doesn't make a difference where the cut comes from so long as it has the characteristics one is looking for.

It only matters to those seeking fame really, to be considered cool for having a strain is just nonsense really. I was in florida in the 90's and I know as much as anyone else does and that isn't much. And that is all I will add to that part of the conversation. I simply noticed the topic and thought some may find the genotyping already happening worthwhile.

The werc shop also does terpene profiling on finished flowers, perhaps that is more up someone's ally. Then you only supply a finished flower. Terpene profiling can serve as a fingerprint. They reliably confirmed a cut of the internet famed cut of euphoria was in fact the acdc cut, high in cbd low in thc.

A link discussing the werc shop and what they did:

I am in an environment where things are very freely shared, however when I am asked to not share a cut I do not.

And it is true more folks should have an honor system guiding their choices in more things.

edit to note: the article I linked does not go into the euphoria cut, only the oracle and acdc being the same, my point is still valid though. I will search my hard drive for the other article.

william76

william76

I agree, I don't care where they came from. It is sometimes nice to know histories for breeding projects, but as far as commercial production is concerned, it doesn't make a difference where the cut comes from so long as it has the characteristics one is looking for.

It only matters to those seeking fame really, to be considered cool for having a strain is just nonsense really. I was in florida in the 90's and I know as much as anyone else does and that isn't much. And that is all I will add to that part of the conversation. I simply noticed the topic and thought some may find the genotyping already happening worthwhile.

The werc shop also does terpene profiling on finished flowers, perhaps that is more up someone's ally. Then you only supply a finished flower. Terpene profiling can serve as a fingerprint. They reliably confirmed a cut of the internet famed cut of euphoria was in fact the acdc cut, high in cbd low in thc.

A link discussing the werc shop and what they did:

I am in an environment where things are very freely shared, however when I am asked to not share a cut I do not.

And it is true more folks should have an honor system guiding their choices in more things.

edit to note: the article I linked does not go into the euphoria cut, only the oracle and acdc being the same, my point is still valid though. I will search my hard drive for the other article.
Ain't the dutch passion euforia made with the psychosis cut,76

T

Trip8

If I could get my hands on a legit TK cut, I would have the genotyping and terpene profile done and sort this all out:)

SpiderK

SpiderK

& oregon kids cut he passed ghost was fake correct ? he got wind the dude was starting a seed biz .......

SFV from 2007 ( JimmynitZ )

SFV 2
SFV 1
SFV 4
SFV 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom