Underthesun In The Co Rockies

• Thread starter Underthesun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

First time posting a grow log on this section. I put one up last year in the Greenhouse thread, but wanted a place to post my grow and random other things. This year I'll be growing 4 strains from seed. All 14er Genetics from Boulder. Heard nothing but good things and their quality is top notch at their shop...so here we go.

Strains:
Mamboe (Tahoe OG x Mamba Double Underdawg)
Stateline (Tahoe OG x Chemdog's Sister)
Jamaican Vodoo (Jamaican landrace x Magik)
Jerriatric (Mamboe x Headband)

I'll be growing all of these in a small 110 sf greenhouse. 100% organic, no bottled nutes, raised beds. This will be my first season using a living soil, and I plan to use it for the next few years. I'm using all my own compost and vermicompost. I popped some beans yesterday since the moon is getting full if you believe in that mumbo jumbo, and I'll pop some more in another month at the next full moonish time.

Happy 4/20!

Underthesun

Underthesun

Food comes first. Sounds of spring run off fill the air. Grass is turning green. Humming birds are starting to visit. Life is good.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Oh the horror! After a week and some seedling sprouted and some didn't I gently moved some soil around with a toothpick to see what was happening. One seed had potworms spewing out of it's shell, wiggling and nasty ...they ate two of my seeds! Bastards. Truth is the seeds probably died before they ate them, but still gross and disapointing.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Well for my first round of seed germination for the season I only had 4/8 success rate, maybe only 3/8...I will know by tomorrow. Not good, its just wasted money since I can get more seeds but still frustrating. I'm thinking it was either my seed starter mix or they drowned in the paper towels...pretty sure the mix I made. I made it with 1/2 vermicompost and 1/2 peat with just a little perlite. I planted in it as soon as it was mixed. My guess is there are still some nematodes, gnat larvae, aphid or something in my homemade compost that would have been taken care of if I let my mix sit a few weeks maybe even dry out a little in the sun. Another thought is that my starter mix was too acidic since I did find potworms in the two seeds...potworms like acidic soils. But this next round of seeds I'm going to plant in Black Gold Seedling mix and then transplant directly into my homemade Coots recipe soil after the seedlings have nice roots. I think this should eliminate my issues. Thoughts?

Orcaman

Orcaman

Sorry for your issues that you are having. As for the Pot Worms. I think the only reason for they were interested in your seeds is because the seeds were rotten how ever that happened. Once again the main reason why I will not purchase anything to grow from the legal retail sellers here in Colorado.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Thanks Orcaman! That is what I was thinking, the pot worms wouldn't eat anything unless it was dead or rotten. Could be they never germinated and where just bad seeds from the get go, or from my mishandling. Could also be that they germinated and something killed them then the pot worms ate them. We'll see how this next round turns out...hoping for 100% success rate this go around.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Man, its nice out! After a hopefully and most likely final snow storm it looks like spring is finally here. I've been moving some veggies from the greenhouse outside, some from inside to the greenhouse and planting some new veggie seeds. I'm excited to see how all my raised beds do this year.

I also moved 1 ton of gravel in 5 gallon buckets from my truck bed to my greenhouse about 100 feet away. Holy shit. Didn't use a wheel barrow since it won't roll in my greenhouse. But I hope to keep more bugs under control with 3-4" of gravel. And it looks pretty slick in there now.

Some more seeds have popped, some haven't. I've moved past the paper towel method and now doing direct planting. Seems to be working so far. Plus it seems like the Jamaican Vodoo is giving me the hardest time, the other strains so far seem to germinate normally.

Made a new worm bin out of recycled lumber. Moved some worms outside and hoping to see some accelerated action from being outside.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Mice or something ate my new seedlings, bastards! Time to plant more seeds and set some traps. They got into all my germinating veggies to and dug them out. WTF.

Underthesun

Underthesun

It was mice. I caught two last night, but not before the little shits dug up more seeds. Luckily they were more interested in my vegegtable seeds, only ate one Mamboe seed last night....unless they cover the soil back up all nice to trick me. Man, they are kinda cute and always feel bad since they are just trying to survive. But I just can't have it.

Nice cool rainy weather after a few days of almost 80s and sunny.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I've become a hardened mice killer, 5 more snake food. Haven't had a night yet without catching them. But they haven't touched my seedlings since the slaughter began.

Things getting started, yeah. Things will prevail and celebrations will be had come this fall.

The survivors ---
Planted seeds 4/20:

A week later seeds popped:

Another week later a few more popped:

I'm sure to have some nice ladies from the bunch, just not as many phenos to choose from as I would have had...not that I would have known what to look for anyway at preflower. That's when I'll decide which lucky few get to stay.

I also think I have a buddy that is going to let me put some males in his yard so I can pollinate some of the girls this year. I was even thinking of putting a female next to the males in his yard too. Never done it, but sounds fun. Seeds!

Underthesun

Underthesun

Couldn't stand losing my seedlings for the Mamboe and Jamaican Vodoo, I was looking forward to those. So I broke down and bought more Mamboe and Jamaican Vodoo seeds. Luckily I ended up with 5 extras in the packs.

Also got my cover crop seeds in the mail today, got those planted in my beds. Its a mix of twelve different seeds, with mostly clover. Bought it off of build-a-soil. I also layed down a thin layer of barley straw to help the cover crop seeds take.

Cloudy, cool and rainy makes for some slow growth around here, but thats a blessing for me I think. Same with having to replant. I usually outgrow my greenhouse, so maybe this season I'll actually have managable sized plants.

Underthesun

Underthesun

This very cool and wet May is a little frustrating. The nice thing is the great snowpack still building up high. It should be a very nice runoff this year. Come July I will be missing these temps!:)

Yeah, we get spoiled here. No clouds for weeks at a time, 70 degree weeks in March, then its cold and rainy for 4 days and we all lose our minds, hahaha. I really enjoy the greeness right now, I know by mid July like you say it will be mid 90s and brown and we'll all be hoping for weather like this. My brocolli and lettuce love it! Not sure how much I'm paying to heat my greenhouse just to keep a few seedlings alive though, too bad my wife doesn't allow them in the house ....but she let's me grow and that's all I ask

Underthesun

Underthesun

Nice weather, loving it. Partly cloudy, mid 60s and all the rain has just made the lushness pop around here. Favorite time of year!

I'm trying to stuff my face and drink a load of water for a big mountain bike race this weekend in Santa Fe. I haven't raced for a couple years and this one is a bonafide ass kicker. Its an enduro race, 4 stages, 7.5k climbing and just as much downhill, in 40 miles. Only the downhill sections are timed. Phew, I'm going to put my all in just to finish, nevermind trying to 'race'. It will be a blast though, real great vibe with this kinda cycling crew. Egos are in check and people are just out enjoying the mountains. The cross country or road racing stuff has turned me off with the seriousness and rudeness of that culture. Hippy's in the woods on bikes having a good time, now that's fun.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Thanks for stopping in @Orcaman. It is a fun ride, I can't get enough. Something about riding in the mountains, away from cars on a trail that is addicting.

Things are coming along. I over watered a little a few weeks ago when it was still cool out and I had to leave town for the race. I should have just left them be, but watered too much thinking I would be gone and not able to water...they would have been fine without the extra water. Still make mistakes even after you learn. Oh well, they are recovering fine. I should know sex here soon on the three larger plants, barely starting to show on the 5th nodes. Good thing too, I'm ready to transplant into the beds so they will get a boost of happiness. Cover crops coming in nicely as well. Its going to hit the mid 90s today, big change from a few weeks ago.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Its always hard deciding which plants to plant, and which raised bed to plant them in. I have my first girl showing, its one of the Jerriatrics. I thought it was a male the whole time, tallest and strongest looking plant of the group planted on 4/20. So I decided to plant her in one of my smaller beds thinking its big enough to not stress her but maybe small enough to keep her from getting too huge. I'm thinking I'm going to save my other small raised bed for the next girl, which I think will be a State Line. Then the biggest bed I have will be for my last two plants to show girl parts, hopefully the Jamaican Vodoo and Mamboe. I'm most excited about these two strains.

Top Bottom