Wilted plant overnight, no clue

• Thread starter Purfict
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Purfict

As the title says, I checked on my plants last night at around 9:30pm. I just took a quick glance since I’ve been dealing with gnats in my plants, and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. Opened the tent this morning and saw this. No other plant is like it, although some do show signs of stress from the gnats. Did this one fall from too much stress? Should I expect it to revive itself? Not sure what happened, only time I’ve ever seen plants this wilted is when people post saying how they were out of town or something and most of the time it’s a watering issue. They’re all getting the same water at the same time, all PHed and no food yet, all I’ve given them is two doses of nematodes.
For background, fabric pots, Happyfrog soil, on their about 5th week of veg, 18on 6 off. Rh around 65, and temps have been a battle since it’s back down to 40-50°F where I live, but I put them on a heating mat running 24/7. The lowest temps dip is 63, but they sit around 66 during the day since I can’t run my light anything passed 30% without some light stress.

Wilted plant overnight no clue
Wilted plant overnight no clue 2
Wilted plant overnight no clue 3
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
It's just the one? That's looks super wilted, maybe there is a hot spot on the heating mat 🤔 really hard to tell without being there. Someone will come along ✌️

P

Purfict

It's just the one? That's looks super wilted, maybe there is a hot spot on the heating mat 🤔 really hard to tell without being there. Someone will come along ✌️
That’s what I was thinking, I know a common issue with fabric pots is that roots can peek out a little bit from the bottom of the pot, maybe a few roots are getting the super hot parts of the mats and it’s telling me how much it hates it? Maybe I can try moving it a bit. It’ll be better when I’m done drying in my veg tent and get some room

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

What size is the container? Or how many gallons of medium?

P

Purfict

What size is the container? Or how many gallons of medium?
They’re all in 5 gallon pots, but that one that wilted has the least amount of the soil of them all. Not by much, enough to notice it though. I ran out of soil when up potting them

P

Purfict

Well i’m not exactly sure how it makes sense they’re dying of thirst, but that 1 liter got them showing so signs of bouncing back. I’m gonna give them another liter, but first i’m gonna put some new Happy frog on top so that they can retain moister better. Thanks for the help guys, maybe someone can explain how they’re so thirsty?

P

Purfict

Give it water. Lots and lots of water.
I know my one issue on my first grow was overwatering in the beginning and under watering later into flower. My plan now is to do “dunks” or submerging up to the top few inches of the plant in water for 10 minutes and letting it drip all runoff in a separate bucket. Was going to get one of those water pumps to water later in flower to help get watering down. I’ll just have to keep special attention on them all, especially since I didn’t notice any droop before.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Maybe when you transplanted them, you wound up with a hard plug of soil that the water is just going around instead of penetrating! Just a possibility!

P

Purfict

Maybe when you transplanted them, you wound up with a hard plug of soil that the water is just going around instead of penetrating! Just a possibility!
Could be, they were super hard to get out of 1 gallon fabric pots

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Thats a pretty good sized plant, and you say some roots can be seen at the bottom outside, of the container?? Seems to me its got a pretty good root system, and I myself, would water it, with about 3/4-1/2 a gallon of water, when required. General rule, for me anyway, is, with a good size plant, and all conditions close to optimal. Nothing, is ever perfect, I will water with 20% of the amount of medium, in the container. If its 5 gallons, Ill give them 1-1.25 Gallons, of water, OR, and this is important. If they dont need watered again by day 4, I will reduce the water by 25%, next watering. 3/4 gallon. About 4 liters, to the Gallon.
I usually like to have them to need water again, by 3.5 days. Much depends on the temperature, air movement, and the medium. Some mediums, may require LESS, water, than the 20%, because the medium, may more readily hold water, longer. So for the medium to need watered again in 3.5 days, it would require less water. I use Promix BX, as my medium,.
One also has to consider container size. Smaller container, plant with a good root system, for the size, in a warmer temp, may need watered every 1- 2 days, even if soaked to runoff.
But for me, generally, a plant with a good root system, with good light, and temp, is hard to kill with watering to much, unless you just never give it any kind of dry period, and I dont mean wilting dry.
This plant is simply metabolizing faster than your other plants, and is a good reason, to pay close attention, to each individual plant.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Whenever I transplant out of three, five, etc. into 30 or 40 I always shake the roots off and then put them in! I don’t want that plug in there screwing things up! And you can always take a thin screwdriver or something wooden skewer and poke holes down into the plug to let the water get down in there! I’ve never seen them skip a beat from either one of those things!

P

Purfict

Thats a pretty good sized plant, and you say some roots can be seen at the bottom outside, of the container?? Seems to me its got a pretty good root system, and I myself, would water it, with about 3/4-1/2 a gallon of water, when required. General rule, for me anyway, is, with a good size plant, and all conditions close to optimal. Nothing, is ever perfect, I will water with 20% of the amount of medium, in the container. If its 5 gallons, Ill give them 1-1.25 Gallons, of water, OR, and this is important. If they dont need watered again by day 4, I will reduce the water by 25%, next watering. 3/4 gallon. About 4 liters, to the Gallon.
I usually like to have them to need water again, by 3.5 days. Much depends on the temperature, air movement, and the medium. Some mediums, may require LESS, water, than the 20%, because the medium, may more readily hold water, longer. So for the medium to need watered again in 3.5 days, it would require less water. I use Promix BX, as my medium,.
One also has to consider container size. Smaller container, plant with a good root system, for the size, in a warmer temp, may need watered every 1- 2 days, even if soaked to runoff.
But for me, generally, a plant with a good root system, with good light, and temp, is hard to kill with watering to much, unless you just never give it any kind of dry period, and I dont mean wilting dry.
This plant is simply metabolizing faster than your other plants, and is a good reason, to pay close attention, to each individual plant.
Watering is my main thing to focus on this grow, I feel like getting the basics down now and focusing on more advanced stuff later is the best idea. My goal is to water them twice a week, so 3.5 days too. I just timed these plants wrong, ideally they would be much smaller to let me focus on them when the previous crop is drying.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Whenever I transplant out of three, five, etc. into 30 or 40 I always shake the roots off and then put them in! I don’t want that plug in there screwing things up! And you can always take a thin screwdriver or something wooden skewer and poke holes down into the plug to let the water get down in there! I’ve never seen them skip a beat from either one of those things!
Its always a good idea, to rough up the roots, at transplant time.
I also CUT the fabric bags, away from the plant, if transplanting from a fabric container.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Too much to read today

The wilted plant needs water like yesterday

The gnats get some nematodes
They will much them up in days and do no harm to the roots

Info and supplier you can also buy them on flea bay and Amazon or other suppliers

P

Purfict

Too much to read today

The wilted plant needs water like yesterday

The gnats get some nematodes
They will much them up in days and do no harm to the roots

Info and supplier you can also buy them on flea bay and Amazon or other suppliers

I’ve given them 5 million nematodes between the 5, my plan is to bottom feed for a while with DE on top, then get a monkey fan blowing towards the bottom of the plants. Nematodes don’t seem to work very well, maybe the hydroponics shop near me doesn’t have the best supply.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Watering is my main thing to focus on this grow, I feel like getting the basics down now and focusing on more advanced stuff later is the best idea. My goal is to water them twice a week, so 3.5 days too. I just timed these plants wrong, ideally they would be much smaller to let me focus on them when the previous crop is drying.

Forget advanced stuff. Learn the basics, and stick to them. Dont make it any more complicated, than need be.
All they need is.

Good Genetics
Good Air Exchange-Critical for optimum production, and ability to use high umol.
Good Soil/Medium
Strong Light. With LED, Id shoot for 40w-sq/ft/ HID 62.5w sq/ft.
Learn how to feed, and water.

Thats about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom