Dim lights in last few days of flower

S

Scoutgrows

I have a few week old auto seedling under the canopy in my photo tent that I need to move so I can flip the tent to flower. The problem is I have 2 plants in my auto tent in their final days of flower, and I am afraid the light intensity is too much for the little guy. If I reduce the I intensity of the light in the auto tent will it have negative affects on the two plants in their final days of flower?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I had that problem once. I solved it by using my kid's building toys to make a platform over the plant to hold a piece of white paper. That diffused the light. I had heard of horizontally suspending various types of paper below a light to reduce the intensity, so that's how I got the idea.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Sometimes less is more. As plants are finishing outdoors the light intensity decreases as the color shifts due to the relative angle of sunlight in relationship to the position of the planet. So turning down the intensity will be less stressful for yor plants allowing them to focus on growing flowers and not on dealing with environmental stress. It will also mimic natural changes in sunlight. Doing our best to replicate "natural" growing conditions outdoors is the whole goal of indoor growing, isn't it? Think about this way. As the days grow shorter and conditions transition into fall it signals to plants that they better pick up the pace if they want to reproduce and for their species to survive. Things like light color and intensity can induce hormonal reactions in plants.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Just a side not about light color and how it effects plant growth. If you are growing with limited space like a tent or closet it's essential to keep plants short while maximizing yield. Choosing lighting with a specific intent might give you the best results. For example, blue light will affect internode spacing. Extremely important when growing indoors. A 6500k light will yield shorter internode spacing than a 5000k. Why? More red light = more stretch. So a 2500k light will stretch your plants more than a 3000k light during flowering. If you use inoculants, I would recommend Azosperillum. Of the commonly used bacillus strains, it is the only one that doesn't produce a plant hormone called Gibberellin which induces cell elongation, or stretch.

Perhaps some things to consider.

Top Bottom